Author Topic: Useful? Documents  (Read 30940 times)

Offline johnforster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Useful? Documents
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 November 10 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your response, look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
John

Offline juliamary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I've just been googling my husband's family and came across your entry.  The Richard Sharples you mention is his great-grandfather who I beleive was active in the formation of the Accrington Pals in WW1.  He's the one sitting next to the mayor in the Officers photo looking very youthful for someone who is about to retire! Its all a bit confusing as there are three generations of solicitors all called Richard.

Offline Britowl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Thank you for your post and the photograph.  All very interesting.  What can you tell me about the photograph?  And is Richard Sharples sitting to the right or left of the mayor?!  Yes, I believe that Richard Sharples was the 'acting' Colonel of the Accrington Pals when it was formed albeit as a non military person himself, hence the 'acting' role.  I believe that he held the position for a few months - maybe more, until a military officer was found to run the unit etc.  I don't currently have my family information to hand but it would be good to find out a bit more information from you.  Thanks.

Offline juliamary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello again
Thanks for coming back so quickly.  The photo comes from the Accrington Pals website and I think it is also in the book of the same title but I do not have it to hand to check for sure.  The website is well worth a visit lots of background describing the recruitment process which I think was where Richard Sharples was involved.  He seems to have been a sort of territorial or militia member for many years.  They actually started recruiting before Kitchener made his public appeal for pals regiments so they were ahead of the game.  Richard Sharples is the one to the left of the mayor without a moustache and with his legs uncrossed. I think he was acting colonel for a few months as you say then he retired in 1915 and never went to France. It must have been uncomfortable for him when the pals were decimated and he was at home with all the bereaved families. His own son, the second Richard went into the RFC or RAF so no trenches for him! Richard senior died in 1929.

Offline Britowl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Yes, the photo is in the Accrington Pals book as I just had a look at my copy.  It may well also be on the website.  My grandfather was an Accrington Pal and so I have already had the pleasure at looking through their extensive website and hence the reason we also have the book.  My grandfather is mentioned a couple of times in the book as he was interviewed about his experiences.  We also sent copies of some of my grandfather's documents to be placed on the website.  My grandfather was one of many going 'over the top' on the first day of the battle of the Somme, finding himself standing alone and wounded whilst everyone else around him had been decimated so I have a family interest in this area.  My grandfather is supposed to have joined the Pals because a relative (Richard Sharples) was part of it, but quite how they are related is not yet known or confirmed and maybe we will never know what the connection is.  My great aunt remembers Richard Sharples making regular visits with a companion to the family home to make payments to the family, from where or from whom or for what reason are unclear, but it has something to do with them being linked by family or so the story goes - those relatives are sadly no longer with us, so all we have to go on are their notes.  Some day I must go to Lancashire to look out the many boxes of archived records that are held which relate to the Sharples Solicitor's business to see if I can glean any answers from there, but that is for another time another day. 

Offline lori82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The Richard Sharples in the photo is my Great Great Grandfather, his son Richard Edgar who was in the RFC later the RAF is my Great grandfather and his son Richard Leslie is my Grandfather.  I am interested where your husband comes into the tree if you don't mind.

Offline juliamary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My husband is Anthony Keith son of Richard Leslie and he has one brother who lives in Lowford, Hampshire so are you related to him?

Offline lori82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Auntie!

Dad is Michael Lyon who is Anthony's brother.

Offline juliamary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Good to make contact!!  For a moment thought I had discovered a ghastly Sharples secret, given Richard Leslie's mysterious disappearance there is always a possibility.  Assume you must be Lorraine.  Tony was with your parents last week when he was over in Hampshire and had a good catchup session, but given that he is a man he didn't ask all the questions I would have asked so I am a bit vague about where you are and what you're doing so hope you will keep in touch.  Talk soon.  Julia