Author Topic: Clontarf to New Zealand 1859  (Read 1445 times)

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
Clontarf to New Zealand 1859
« on: Saturday 23 January 10 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have been been contacted by a lady in New Zealand regarding the emigration of her great great grandparents to that country in 1859.

Eliza Reynolds aged 28 spinster sailed from Gravesend on the 25th November on the Clontarf (which docked in Lyttleton NZ on 16 March 1860) under Captain AW Barclay. Her future husband Luke John Cox (gardener) sailed from Gravesend on 20th January 1859 on the Victory which docked in Lyttleton 14th May 1859. They married in April 1860 in Christchurch.

The reason this lady has contacted me is because I have an Eliza Reynolds in my tree of the same age, and I dont have a marriage or death date for her, and I have never looked into the possibility of emigration. Probably a very long shot but you never know. She has no knowledge of any facts regarding these two people before they emigrated and was wondering how to access records to give her more information if any is available.

I told her I knew exactly where to ask the questions with a good chance of getting some information (and a new RC recruit methinks)!! ;)

Thank you,  Linda.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk