Author Topic: lookup - Clement Okey, haddenham, ely  (Read 8378 times)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: lookup - Clement Okey, haddenham, ely
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 23:59 BST (UK) »
If we assume that the records of age at death are correct, ..............

Burial ages are notoriously unreliable, particularly the older the deceased was. This isn't an assumption that I would make
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 14:45 BST (UK) »
I agree in principle, Bedfordshire Boy - but in this case BOTH recorded ages at death imply a year of birth which tallies with the dates of baptism; and I am therefore much more willing to accept them as accurate. Quite possibly, Haddenham had a diligent parson who actually looked up his parishioners' baptismal records to satisfy himself of the accuracy of the ages he was recording!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline bookendart

• RootsChat Member
  • Grannie & Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 August 13 04:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks jbml, for bringing this thread to the forefront!  I'm also suspect of ages of death in burial registers and those carved into grave markers. But, in looking back through earlier posts, I see AnneB posted a transcript of a monument inscription for the Clement who died in 1838.

The text of the AnneB's transcription indicates this Clement was the son of Clement and Elizabeth.  My question, is that what was actually carved into the marker? If so, it would seem to support jbml's supposition that Ann, wife of Clement, not widow, must have been married to the OTHER Clement, son of John.  Am I on track with this thinking?

Claire
Collins, Turner, Moyses, Curtis, Collcutt, Okey, Baker, Meadows, Peach, Denchfield, Purchas

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 January 14 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Claire -

That looks right to me. All the evidence is pointing the same way, and I would be inclined to trust it rather than distrust it on the grounds that certain of the evidence is of a type which has a tendency to be unreliable. If it was not corroborated, then I would certainly retain an open mind. But it IS corroborated.

So are you descended from "my" Clement Oakey, or "the other one"?
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright