Author Topic: DINAN John born @1806 CORK IRELAND  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Lyndylooking

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DINAN John born @1806 CORK IRELAND
« on: Sunday 24 January 10 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I've just joined and I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with my search for JOHN DINAN born @1806 Ireland, believed to be from the Cork area. He appears in England on the 1841 census with a wife from Wales and children, the eldest born @1935 in the Manchester area -my ancestors.
 My parents and I have been looking for him for YEARS!!
The only info we have that may help find his family in Ireland are family memories of him being related somehow to a Harbourmaster of Cork ?cousin,?brother etc. I dont know any year or name for this person but presumable between 1806 and 1935.
When he left Ireland for the NW of England its possible that his brother or cousin travelled with or after him. Later somewhere between 1841 and 1851 these two just left their families for the USA and fought in the American Civil War, with John believed to have died there.
Does anyone have a JOHN DINAN @1806 and ?another DINAN who left Ireland in the ?1830's and were related to the Harbourmasters of Cork?
I'd be delighted if anyone could help in any way, I've tried to contact the Harbourmasters of Cork before but with no success, though I shall try again.
Thanks and here's hoping. Best Wishes, Lyndylooking

Offline gingerclifford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DINAN John born @1806 CORK IRELAND
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 February 10 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lyndylooking,

I am not entirely sure I can help, but I am interesed in telling you something which may or may not be relevant.  My mother's (deceased) surname was Dinan.  She was the oldest of 8 children.  She was born in NEW JERSEY c1927/28.  Her father, Michael Dinan ( I think he came from the Cork area), was a businessman in New Jersey, but returned to that part of Ireland to talk his brother (I don't know his name but I can try and find out) into returning to Amercia to join him in business. Unfortunately, Michael (my grandfather) died suddenly of an infected appendics. So my grandmother and her children (my mother) were left in Ireland. This would be around 1936/37?  I know they stayed in Cork, as my mother than met my father, Gerald Clifford either in Cork or Kerry.  My father came from Carchiveen (Ring of Kerry). 

At this stage, I have only traced my father's family back to the 3rd generation, but only vaguely and only on the Clifford side; this is because a lot of information was left by my uncle Edward Clifford (well-known Irish writer also known as Sigerson Clifford).
Now I am sure my maternal grandfather's family did come from Cork.
I am searching this side too, so may have some more information.
Please feel free to reply to me or email me.
Carchiveen, Kerry, Cork, Sigerson, Clifford,

Offline murray00

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DINAN John born @1806 CORK IELAND
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 16:15 GMT (UK) »
would like to know more about the dinans