Author Topic: Poole Family, of Llandrinio  (Read 3916 times)

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
Poole Family, of Llandrinio
« on: Sunday 24 January 10 22:19 GMT (UK) »
I recently traced back to a Poole family living in Llandrinio, not to far from Welshpool in Powys. Looking at the wills there have been Pool(e)s living in the area since at least the 1600s.

I am interested if anyone knows the origins of the Pooles of the area. Sources say the name is from around the Dorset area - I guess the town of Poole. However, I am wondering if maybe these Welsh Pooles are from Welshpool, which was known at the time as Pool(e) Town.

So far, I have got back as far as Richard Poole and his wife Catherine, of Llandrinio. Their daughter, Catherine married Moses Evans (probably of Llandsilyo) and they had at least two children: Richard Poole Evans (1794-1861) and Mary Evans (1798-1834/5). Mary Evans married Edward Edwards (d. 1867) and had two children: Richard Poole Edwards, of Trewern Hall and later Selattyn (1832-1891) and Catherine Poole Edwards. Richard Poole Edwards (I think married) Charlotte Edwards (1840-1921) and they had another son Richard Poole Edwards. I think he was born about 1861. Can't give an exact date as my files are not to hand.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Poole Family, of Llandrinio
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

Not sure if it's relevant but I've got info on the Pooles that might be of use - too much to put here though. It goes back to an Edward Poole who died circa 1682, Llandysilio.

I'll PM you.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 19:34 GMT (UK) »
1861 C   Trewern    65 Moelygolfa

John Poole     H  mar  39     Sawyer   Montgomeryshire  Buttington
Jane    "      Wife mar     29                Glamorgan   Cardiff
Henry G "     son         2                    Montgomeryshire  Buttington
Mary      "     dau             1                           "                    "
Edwin    "     son          1                               "                    "

1871 C   Trewern   66 On Moel-y-Golfa

John Poole  H      mar  50      Sawyer          Montgomeryshire  Trewern
Jane    "      Wife  mar     39       "      Wife   Glamorgansh  Cardiff
Edwin  "      son           11     Scholar          Montgomeryshire  Trewern
Sarah  "      dau                9       "                          "                   "
Caroline "    dau                7       "                          "                   "
albert     "   son             3           "                          "                   "

www.ancestry.co.uk
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 October 15 10:00 GMT (UK) »
The earliest Poole family that I can find is that of Cae Nest, Merionethshire.

The first maned is Sir Hugh Poole in the 15th Century.

There is a note that Anthony Poole of Cae Nest was party to a deed at Porkington (Brogyntyn), Selattyn, dated 1609 and 1611. Brogyntyn is associated with Glyn, Merionethshire.

http://penrose.org/getperson.php?personID=I61439&tree=penrose

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brogyntyn

http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8811

David

Offline simondmd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 January 22 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi David, My grandmother was a Poole born near Welshpool (born 1897) I have from her a pocket book dated 1833 belonging to one Jeffrey Poole and handed down through various Pooles in which they made Family History research notes - including an 1836 note in which he goes to Llanssantffraid chruch and records all the Poole records he can find. It is an absolute treasure and I'll glad send you a scan. My Pooles centre on Llanerkeela Township which seems to be in the parish of Llansantffraid ym Mechain - and borders if not overlaps into Llandrinio. My line named their eldest Jeffrey generation after generation. The oldest original parish record I have being a death in 1679. I have filled out an extensive family tree, but it does not include yet a Richard and Catherine in Llandrinio - but I expect they fit together. I spent a massive amount of time on the Pooles a couple of years ago, and would need a refresher to get myself back up to speed :) But I can send you a spreadsheet I built when trying to disentangle each generation. I think I still had a potential amibiguity around 1700 I was meaning to return to.

Offline simondmd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 January 22 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again, I also have these clippings from the Shrewsbury Chronicle of Jan 1914. It is an article suggesting some origins to the Poole name. The last paragraph re Jeffrey Poole refers to my Great Great Grandfather and his brother.