Author Topic: irish mortons?  (Read 6628 times)

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
irish mortons?
« on: Monday 25 January 10 19:12 GMT (UK) »
hi, all i am looking for info on william james morton. maghere,no birth date. but he was wed to a mary anne nielly in ulster 1871, he had a son andrew in 1877 born in maghere ireland. he wed a rachel flockhart fife scotland. and seems to have settelled in glasgow.as he had a son andrew born circa 1906 in glasgow and the family are all living there now.did not know till now. we were of irish descent. any help would be great.rob g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: irish mortons?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 January 10 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Rob
     I have found what looks like your marriage in Co Londonderry.

20 Jun 1871 William James Morton married Mary Anne Neilly in Termoneeny Church of Ireland Magherafelt. Their son was most likely born in Maghera, a small town on the southern side of the Sperrin Mountains overlooking Lough Neagh.
 The Moderator will probably move this post to Co. Londonderry
Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 January 10 20:25 GMT (UK) »
I've moved your post from Antrim to Londonderry board for reasons that will be obvious when you read further.

IGI (International Genealogical Index) lists Andrew MORTON as born 5 July 1877 Maghera district, Co. Londonderry- parents William James Morton and Mary Anne Neilly.

They also had a daughter Annie Matilda MORTON born 21 Dec.1878 Co.Londonderry.
See www.familysearch.org

If you wish to order the birth certificates to find eact place of birth you can look up the index details here-
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347
You can also search there for the parents' marriage (look up each separately then cross-reference results for matching details).

1911 census is online (1901 will soon be added) and you can search for Mortons here-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 January 10 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Rob,
      Some extra information which is circumstantial. The Griffiths valuation of 1858 ( a survey of all property for rateable value) gives only one Morton family in the parish of Maghera. This was a James Morton who rented a House and farm in the townland of CURRAN and also rented some land in the nearby townland of TOBERHEAD.  Curran is about 4 miles SE of the town of Maghera on the A6 road and Toberhead is East of that.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 15:10 GMT (UK) »
hi all, thank you all for your reply, they were very helpful.and were the right people,if theres anything else please let me know. william james morten. fits as andrews father.but need more info  on james morton  to be sure he is williams james father. how could i find out when andrew  born 1877 left ireland or arrived in scotland, thanks again for taking the time to reply.rob g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Records weren't, and still aren't, kept of people travelling between Ireland and other parts of the U.K. so you'll probably only be able to narrow down date of arrival in Scotland with sources like census records and birth/marriage/death records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 15:37 GMT (UK) »
thanks for your prompt reply, aghadowey, and to all who answered.rob g

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 March 10 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Rob,
      I have been doing some look-ups for a lady, local to me, and I think that her ancestor may be related to yours. He was Solomon Morton of Ballynockan in the area of Curran. I am not sure if she is aware of this site but when I next see her, probably next week, I will tell her about it.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 17:46 GMT (UK) »
hi, king s. thanks for the reply, it would be great to hear of any relations, hope to hear from you soon please feel free to tell the person to contact me at this site, thanks again, rob g