Author Topic: McDowell, little detail,maybe impossible  (Read 12445 times)

Offline homeless simpson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family Researcher available in Monaghan/Cavan.
    • View Profile
Re: McDowell, little detail,maybe impossible
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 23:13 GMT (UK) »
The paper and ink used those days plus the handwriting often lead to records being hard to read, often blotches occur etc...Some are works of art!

Whether he was born in Glaslough is impossible to say but the birth is recorded at the church they attended. Just like today if you take someone living in Fremantle on way to Perth Hospital and they get as far as Cottesloe when the baby is born, does that mean he is from Cottesloe?

Yours may have gone to a friend's house etc... As for what he worked at, there were many trades, smithy, gardener, farmer, carpenter, cooper. etc

As for marrying in Co Down, that would normally ( even today) be the case. They marry in girl's church!  It is possible to get further back in time by research but this can get very expensive and in many cases unfruitful and a waste of money. You are now in 3 places Cootehill in Cavan, Tedavnet/Tydavnet in Monaghan and Co Down.
Available for researching parish records, graveyards etc in Co Monaghan.

Offline StuartMorley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 October 14 21:11 BST (UK) »
Anniebelle,
I to am descended from John McDowell and Mary Ann Davison via Ellen Ameila McDowell. Are you still after Mary Ann's death detail?

Offline anniebelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 October 14 02:24 BST (UK) »
Stuart,
I have since found Mary Ann McDowell (nee Davidson)'s date of death and have a transcription of her death certificate. She died 13 Jan, 1916 at Merrylands Rd, Granville, NSW. Other details on the death certificate are: age 88 years; born Guildford, Ireland; 60 years in NSW; Father: Unknown first name Davidon of unknown occupation; Mother: Bessie Warburton; married Belfast, Ireland to John McD; Children at death: Eleanor 61, Mary 59, Samuel 57, Susannah 51, John 50 and Louis 48 living; 1 male & 2 females dead; Informant: Robert McKenzie Meldrum, son-in-law, Victoria Ave, Chatswood; Died of strangulated hernia,  cardiac failure; BUried 14 Jan,  1916 at Methodist Cemetery Rookwood by rites of Methodist Church.
Her death Notice in the SMH Fri, 14 Jan, 1916 which can be seen on the Trove website.
Thank you for replying to my post.
McDowell, Co Cavan, Co Monaghan-NSW
Davidson, Co Down-NSW
Hayes, Co Tipperary-Vic, NSW
Hayes, Co Wexford-NSW
Kennedy, Co Tipperary-Vic, NSW
McAlary, McIlhinney, Keilt, McNichol, Shannon Co Derry-Vic, NSW
Rochester, Sussex-NSW
Matthews, Kent-NSW
Lyons/Hynes Co Kildare-NSW
Grimes, Lancashire-NSW
Hall, Essex/London-NSW
Seath, Kent-NSW
Long, Woolwich-NSW
Meyer, Heist, Germany-Vic
Goldsmith, Gordon, Wall, Co Wexford-Vic,NSW
Fraser, Hassard, Fermanagh, St Helens, Lancashire-Vic

Offline anniebelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 October 14 02:29 BST (UK) »
Stuart,
I am a descendant of John and Mary Ann McDowell's son Samuel McD
Annie
Davidson, Co Down-NSW
Hayes, Co Wexford-NSW
Rochester, Sussex-NSW
Matthews, Kent-NSW
Grimes, Lancashire-NSW
Hall, Essex/London-NSW
Seath, Kent-NSW
Long, Woolwich-NSW

Offline Peter Alford-Seymour

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 16:52 GMT (UK) »
I believe that your McDowell's are in the same line as mine.
In a book touching on the Kane Estates in Co.Monaghan, I read about the large McDowell family that went down from Aughnacloy Tyrone and Rented lands in on these Monaghan Estates, to start up wood and corn mills. One David McDowell was a land agent that collected rents from the tenants-Mostly the MacKenna's of whom previously owned the lands as an ancestral agreement from the Earls of the provinces. David McDowell paid his owner Mr Kane, a Banker in Belfast a set rent regardless of the number of tenants.
His brothers in the 17-1800's were Wildridge, John-around Ballybay, Thomas and his son David '
I am missing some from the top of my head but I can get the names and dates for you.

This McDowell adventure started back in Aughnacloy when two devout presbyterian brothers named William and Robert Urey came into Merchandising in Augher and Aughnacloy Co. Tyrone.
Patrick McDowell married the daughter of Robert Urey and they were all very wealthy. They had about 13 children, most of them boys. The Urey' name was spelt Wry at that time and place.
see peterbees.tribalpages.com

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline anniebelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 November 14 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your responses.  In your McDowell research have you found any connection to my Samuel and Mary McDowell (nee McCall) who were married in the Tydavnet Parish and later lived at Coolkill East? Other McDowell names I have come across connected to Coolkill East(apart from the children of Samuel and Mary) are:

John Johnston and Susanna McDowell
Nicholas McDowell and Sarah Martin

These couples were having their children baptised in the 1820s and 1830s, about the same time as my Samuel and Mary which would suggest that they are possibly siblings of Samuel.  Susanna is likely since Samuel and Mary named one of their children Susanna.

Unfortunately I have no details of the names of Samuel or Mary's parents so have no way of being able to make the linkages.
Annie
Davidson, Co Down-NSW
Hayes, Co Wexford-NSW
Rochester, Sussex-NSW
Matthews, Kent-NSW
Grimes, Lancashire-NSW
Hall, Essex/London-NSW
Seath, Kent-NSW
Long, Woolwich-NSW

Offline peterbees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 November 14 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Monaghan borders Co. Cavan and I have some McDowell's there. I do know of one Susanna McDowell whom worked as a servant and relation to the Trelford's in or near Co. Cavan.
I was hoping that you mentioned Cootehill as there were many McDowell's there.
I will investigate further into the McDowell's near Tedavent Monaghan. John McDowell had about 60 acres of land at Ballybay andRev. Martin McDowell was the Minister at Crieve near by.
The biggest problem I have is that My McDowell naming pattern changed when my McDowell's left the Presbyterian Church or the Church of Ireland and this caused a split from the family.
The post before yours shows a Urey family connection which has to be looked at too.
best regards, Peter

Offline peterbees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 November 14 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Some of the McDowell's that went down to Co. Monaghan from Tyrone were listed in the Drummully Cemeteries
McDowell David                       Glaslough Church of Ireland County Monaghan
McDool Daniel   Drumully Old Graveyard County Monaghan
McDool John   Drumully Old Graveyard County Monaghan
McDool Patrick   Drumully Old Graveyard County Monaghan
McDowell John                         Glaslough Church of Ireland County Monaghan
McDowell John                         Glaslough Church of Ireland County Monaghan
McDowell Rosana                     Glaslough Church of Ireland County Monaghan
McDowell Samuel                     Monaghan Church of Ireland County Monaghan--Peter