Author Topic: Orford, Suffolk: NEWSON birth c 1790  (Read 13565 times)

Offline tunstallterry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Orford, Suffolk: Newson birth c 1790
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 February 10 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Well Kevin,
You are just the man to explain to me the expressions within the records that I'm not at all sure of, these are Separated; Removed & Dismissed, if you are able to sort these for me, I will post it on the site.

Thanks Terry

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Uncle Fred - England 1908 - POW 1914-19 - Bilbao
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 February 10 18:19 GMT (UK) »
One of my Newsons married a Kate Knights in Suffolk?

Colin
YARWOOD in Warks/Ches but also London, Northants, Lincs, USA and Australia.
PENTLAND in Warks/Staffs/Yorks, Arm IRL: Chch NZ post 1884 and SCO pre 1800.
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
FRYER/FRIAR Lurgan Armagh, Edin & Glasgow SCO
BROOKES WH & WFP RA WW1 & 2
NEWSON & 'WATTS' Felixstow SFK, NZ,
HORTON, Surgn  Warwicks. FORTESCUE
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline scotty151

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 February 10 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Terry,

Tunstall Baptist Church is a member of the Association of Grace Baptist Churches East Anglia. Until about 25 years ago this group of churches was known as the Suffolk & Norfolk Association of Strict Baptist Churches. "Strict" did not refer to the character of the members (!) but signified that the churches practiced "reSTRICTed" communion, ie. only baptised believers were able to partake of the communion or "Lord's Supper".
http://www.grace-ea.org.uk/

Membershipship of individual churches was (and still is) for believers in Jesus Christ who have demonstrated their faith by being baptised by full immersion in water.

I will try my best to explain the terms you mention on the membership list as best as I understand them.

"Dismissed" This is used where a member has moved away from the locality and started attending another church of like faith and practice. eg. "Eliza CATCHPOLE dismissed to Grundisburgh 28 June 1846". This was done by what is now referred to as a "transfer of membership". An example of someone moving the other way to Tunstall is seen  in the case of Diana & William WADE who were "received by letter (of recommendation) from Otley Church". This is still practiced and a couple of years ago upon my move into Ipswich, my own membership was transferred to a church there, by a letter of recommendation from my previous church.

"Separated" This term is often followed by the words "for non attendance" in the membership list. This would usually refer to someone who has voluntarily "separated" themselves from the church by no longer attending. This could be that they had moved away and not requested a transfer of membership, but more likely that they just stopped attending for a variety of reasons.
However, it is also used where a person has had their membership of the church withdrawn as in the case of Mary CRACKNELL who was "separated for misconduct" on 5 August 1838. I wonder whatever she did?!!

"Removed" This term appears to be used sometimes in the same situations as "Dismissed" and "Separated". For example John SMITH of Sudbourne was "Removed to London" on 1 Apr 1838. I would understand that he found work in London and joined another church there. Other times it could refer to someone who had their name  "removed" from the membership list for non-attendance or misconduct.

So, not terribly straightforward as the terms were often used interchangeably, but I hope that it has helped a little in understanding the membership list.

Colin,
I apologise for hijacking your original post by diverting away from your request, but I hope you too have found some interesting information on Terry's website.
I have checked my database and the only Kate KNIGHTS I have, was actually Katie Jane KNIGHTS, born c.1879 in Campsey Ash, the daughter of Samuel KNIGHTS & Hannah Elizabeth SMITH. However, I do not have a marriage listed for her.

Regards,
Kevin
NBL & DUR - SCOTT, Newcastle (Byker),Ancroft,Eglingham. NEWTON, Newcastle, Gateshead.
SIMM, REED, DAWSON, HALL, KENNEDY, BARKESS, WILSON, ARKLE, SHEPHERD, THOMAS.
Ross (Scotland) - BISSET, McDONALD, FERGUSON, FLETCHER
Suffolk - MILLER (Eyke, Bromeswell), Lloyd (Burstall), GANT (Elmsett), BARBER (Eyke), LEEKS (Elmsett), DANIELS, HOLDER, DURRANT, MEADOWS, PERCY, ATTERTON, LING, SKINNER, OXX, MALLOWS, CLARKE, WOOLNOUGH, POTTER, COLEMAN
Bucks - BLAND (Stoke Goldington), FRIDAY, DARBY

Offline tunstallterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 22 February 10 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Great Stuff Kevin,
Certainly a bit clearer (I think) it was the interchangeability of the terms in these records that was throwing me, especially as I could not find the terms in other Baptist sites. I will now post your reply on the site with accreditation to
yourself. Please check it out and let me know if you are unhappy with anything.

thanks again

Terry

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 22 February 10 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Kevin

My Knights are all in Nacton. Any interest?

Colin
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline scotty151

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Orford, Suffolk: NEWSON birth c 1790
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin,

No, I regret that I don't know of any connection.

Regards,
Kevin
NBL & DUR - SCOTT, Newcastle (Byker),Ancroft,Eglingham. NEWTON, Newcastle, Gateshead.
SIMM, REED, DAWSON, HALL, KENNEDY, BARKESS, WILSON, ARKLE, SHEPHERD, THOMAS.
Ross (Scotland) - BISSET, McDONALD, FERGUSON, FLETCHER
Suffolk - MILLER (Eyke, Bromeswell), Lloyd (Burstall), GANT (Elmsett), BARBER (Eyke), LEEKS (Elmsett), DANIELS, HOLDER, DURRANT, MEADOWS, PERCY, ATTERTON, LING, SKINNER, OXX, MALLOWS, CLARKE, WOOLNOUGH, POTTER, COLEMAN
Bucks - BLAND (Stoke Goldington), FRIDAY, DARBY

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Keith,

Thats no problem, I am already somewhat distant in family terms - The Newsons/Watts/Passifuls are the family of my great grandfather's sister's great grandaughter's husband!

Colin

Offline tward62

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 08 October 16 17:46 BST (UK) »
Read emails between you and Annette re: Henry Newson/Mary Robinson. You described them as fun and intriguing to research. Would you be willing to share some details?

My Family Tree

My 3 x gt grandparents:
Henry Newson, bapt. Aldeburgh, St. Peter and St. Paul, Suffolk, Jan. 6, 1761
(s/o Wm. and Sarah Newson).
Mary Robinson, bapt. Orford, St. Bartholomew, Suffolk, Jul. 3, 1763
(d/o John and Mary Robinson)
Henry N. married Mary R. Jul. 11, 1787 at Orford Suffolk.
Henry Newson died Feb. 25, 1840 at Orford, 81 yrs (Source: Cert. of Death GRO)
Their dau. Mary (Ann) born Feb. 3, 1800, bapt. Dec 5, 1802 at Orford, St. Bartholomew

Mary Ann Newson Marital History

Marriage No. 1: Mary Ann wed James Hook Aug. 25, 1822 at St George the Martyr, Southwark
(Source: GLRO entry #547)
1841 Census, Clapham, Surrey – Head: James Hook (40 yrs), Wife: Mary Hook (40 yrs)
James d. 1848 age 47 yrs (Source: GRO Cert. entry of Death #490)

Marriage No. 2: The widow, Mary Ann wed James Potter Dec 27, 1849, Parish Church, Battersea. Father’s occupation: “Officer”; Witness: Esther Hook her dau. (GRO Cert. of Marriage, No. 435)
1851 Census, Lachmere, Battersea – Head: James Potter (24 yrs), Wife: Mary Ann Hook (“43 yrs”) born Orford, Suffolk. Newson Hook, Step Son, age 10 yrs, born Clapham, Surrey. I think Mary is fibbing here! Reason much younger husband.

Questions raised:

1) What type of “Officer” was Mary’s father, Henry?
2) How do I find her actual death date with the discrepancy in her age on the 1851 Census? She should be 50.
3) Under what surname was she buried: Newson, Hook or Potter? We ruled out Mary Ann Newson, Kingston upon Thames, Sept 17, 1890, age 89 yrs.

Re: Officer

I have military records for 3 of Mary Ann and James Hook’s sons. Two were 13th Light Dragoons and one was 58 Regt. Of Foot. This could point to a family tradition of military service.
Research fails to find any military record for Henry Newson. Some correspondents have suggested a Custom’s Official, Coastal Guard, Prison Guard, a militia? Some suggested he may have enlisted in the service of a foreign army?

As you say, very intriguing. Perhaps your research can fill in some of the blank

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 08 October 16 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hello

I hope this may help in some way:

My Newson Family is almost certainly connected with yours but I fear the link may be difficult to find.

The overall family were all born raised lived and died in Leiston - Orford - Aldeburgh - Felixstowe Ferry - Woodbridge.

Many of the men started out as sailors on smallish coastal sailing boats delivering goods and people near and far along the coast and up to Woodbridge.

Some joined the Navy and went to Australia and New Zealand (some even jumped ship and tried to disappear. None made Officer rate in the Navy but a good number became "Coastguards and officers of the Excise' watching out for smugglers and affording a rudimentary life saving people, occasionally succumbing to the vagaries of the sea themselves.

Family naming conventions are interesting:

Your Mary Anne's parents were Henry & Mary as you say:
- that Henrys parents were William Newson b abt 1710 Middleton Suffolk and Sarah Bowler b art 1730 at Huntingfield Suffolk - they wed in Leiston 1751 children Elizabeth Jane* b 1756 Aldeburgh, Maria b 1759 Aldeburgh

Mary Anne's siblings were (I think...?)

Henry (Senior [Orford] b 1787
Elizabeth b 1788 - died in Childhood
Elizabeth b 1792 - died Woodbridge 1844(?)
Thomas b 1794 - soldier, 18115-1824, 63 Rgt Foot, Discharged aged 30 RH Chelsea
Sarah b bef. 1797
Robert b 15 Jul 1798
Mary Ann b 3 Feb 1800
Robert b 1807 = Annie Charlotte Parker children: Mary A 1831 Shawbury Essex, Henry 1836 born Sussex, Robert T 1839 (born Pett Sussex)
Robert was a Coastguard Officer

My Newsons

Henry b abt 1790, d 1849 Woodbridge = Jane Passiful b 1792 Felixstowe

children: all born at Felixstowe Ferry in Suffolk at the mouth of the River Debby - they variously ran the pub and the ferry and provided guidance to shipping wanting to go upriver as Coastguards/Excise Officers
Henry Jun b 10 aug 1810 d Mar 1871 *** THIS MAN was the father of my Mystery Man
James P b 1811
Jane b 1813
Elizabeth b 1815
John Thomas b 1818 d Woodbridge Dec 1891
Thomas b 1819 d Felixstowe 1895
William b 1820 d 1898
Robert b 1822 d 12 jul 1821
Elizabeth b abt 1827, d 19 jul 1827