Author Topic: PARR  (Read 5472 times)

Offline Nahtahleeah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
PARR
« on: Wednesday 27 January 10 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have info on a George Griff Parr born 1871 in Glasgow? He moved to New Zealand sometime before 1911. I have some facts but they're pretty vague. George married Jean Donald in NZ.

Natalya

Offline lud

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PARR
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Natalya,
I checked out the IGI on Familysearch.org and found only two George Parr's one born Midlothian 1863 one born Paisley 1865, Scotlandspeople has three between 1864 & 1886, the two mentioned, and one born in 1882, however these are not the DOB you have, and they have no middle names , perhaps you might have to check out your scource of info,again.
Good Luck
Lud

Offline Nahtahleeah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lud, it's been near impossible finding anything about my Parr's, time to ask around the Grandparents again I think!

Natalya

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 January 10 09:50 GMT (UK) »
With Lud's info, this is the likely entry for the George born in 1882 from the census in 1891:

James Parr 37, boiler maker b. Glasgow
Lillias Parr 37 b. Pormoage (?spl), Kinrossshire
James Parr 16 b. Dundee Angus
George Parr 8 b. Glasgow
William Parr 2 b. Glasgow

Address: 49 Richard St, Anderston Glasgow

Not sure if the wife above is a second wife for James Snr.. The birth of son James Parr in Dundee in 1874 shows mother as Joan Munro, from IGI at www.familysearch.org

An old post here http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/NEW-ZEALAND/2002-04/1018732465 connected to your line.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 January 10 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just to let you know, the George Parr who was born in Paisley in 1865 died in 1870.

He is in my family tree as he was the brother of (amongst others) Mary Parr (1879-c.1959) and Maggie Parr (c1862-1952).

My Great Aunt was the daughter of Maggie Parr and niece of Mary Parr.  Mary also became her "step" mother-in-law when she married her father-in-law after his first wife died.  A bit confusing!

Regards

Caroline
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 January 10 15:10 GMT (UK) »
hi all  :)

had a look at the official NZ site and found the following  -

george griff parr marriage jean isabel donald 1911

george guff parr death 1924 age 53(born c1871)

jean isobel parr death 1954 age 75(born c1879)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 January 10 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lud, it's been near impossible finding anything about my Parr's, time to ask around the Grandparents again I think!

Natalya
Just to but in.....There is a sweet factory on the Alder Hills which was run by a family called Parr's at a time when i did not know what I wanted to do with my life I tried a stint working there, free sweets etc.  Not sure it exists now.  Got a feeling it shut 3/4yrs ago.  They would either come under Poole District Councils domain or Bournemouth as it is smack bang in the middle of the changeover area known as Branksome  8) ???
Might be a connection.
marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 13:06 BST (UK) »
Not Lanarkshire, but as some of you have mentioned Dundee......has anyone come across a Parr grouping with a George Andrew Parr born Dundee c1904, parents James Parr and Katherine Welsh?

He married an Elizabeth Jane Hutton Farquhar. Found a divorce entry for them on NAS in 1947.  Have wondered if they had any children.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline SS1857

• RootsChat Extra
  • https://www.sherryancestry.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 July 17 01:36 BST (UK) »
With Lud's info, this is the likely entry for the George born in 1882 from the census in 1891:

James Parr 37, boiler maker b. Glasgow
Lillias Parr 37 b. Pormoage (?spl), Kinrossshire
James Parr 16 b. Dundee Angus
George Parr 8 b. Glasgow
William Parr 2 b. Glasgow

Address: 49 Richard St, Anderston Glasgow

Not sure if the wife above is a second wife for James Snr.. The birth of son James Parr in Dundee in 1874 shows mother as Joan Munro, from IGI at www.familysearch.org

An old post here http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/NEW-ZEALAND/2002-04/1018732465 connected to your line.

Monica  :)

Lilias Parr (nee Scott ) was my 2x Great Grandmother. 
Sherry, Coyle, Mallin, Leonard/Lennard, Drummond, Scott, McFadyen, McSherry, Montague, O'Donnell, Haggerty, Sharp, Starrs