Author Topic: Samuel & Elizabeth WRIGHT - Ringland & Hockering  (Read 7366 times)

Offline gasometer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel & Elizabeth WRIGHT - Ringland & Hockering
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

The 1841 Census (in Ancestry.co.uk) has:

Etnam Street, Leominster, Herefordshire

Anna WELLS, aged 49, Ind [Independent], N [not born in Herefordshire]
Harriet WRIGHT, aged 12, FS [Female Servant], N [not born in Herefordshire]

Looks like Harriet may have inherited the house from her aunt.  I haven't been able to trace Ann WELLS or Harriet WRIGHT/TEWSLEY in any other Censuses yet.

Regards
Gasometer

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 March 16 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi gasometer

Elizabeth was buried 17 Oct 1759 at Wymondham.  The will of Elizabeth WRIGHT of Wymondham, widow, dated 16 Jun 1759, was proved in the Norfolk Archdeaconry Court 10 Mar 1760.  The will mentions:
o   Mary her daughter, wife of John AUSTIN: 1/3 of residue

Please could I ask, does this Will mentions John Austins occupation?

many thanks
yokel

Offline gasometer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 March 16 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yokel,

According to my notes the will does not mention John AUSTIN's occupation.

Regards,
Gasometer

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 March 16 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks gasometer,

I think he is a cooper, but just wanted to check from another source.

Have you seen this site:- http://wymondham-archive.norfolkparishes.gov.uk/
several Wrights get mentioned in their database.

yokel

Offline gasometer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 March 16 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yokel,

Yes I know of the site but haven't explored it much as yet.  There looks to be an earlier Gregory WRIGHT mentioned in the database so must explore further.

Thanks,
Gasometer

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 March 16 13:12 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 Census (in Ancestry.co.uk) has:
Etnam Street, Leominster, Herefordshire
Anna WELLS, aged 49, Ind [Independent], N [not born in Herefordshire]
Harriet WRIGHT, aged 12, FS [Female Servant], N [not born in Herefordshire]

Looks like Harriet may have inherited the house from her aunt.  I haven't been able to trace Ann WELLS or Harriet WRIGHT/TEWSLEY in any other Censuses yet.

Thanks for that find Gasometer, I had a different Harriette Wright age 15 living in St.Stephen, Norwich in 1841. Later in 1851 Harriett age 23 is home in Swanton Morley, daughter of William & Mary Wright. In 1861 she is a school mistress living at Hellesdon, Norwich.

On 1861 census I've found Anna Lewis, widow age 69 born Ringland, Norfolk living in Etnam Street, Leominster, a landed proprietress.  Seems Anna Wells, daughter of Samuel Wright, farmer married David Lewis, a baptist minister from Wales in Birmingham, St.Phillips on 12 Oct 1842 with Harriet Wright being one of the witnesses. On 1851 census living in Etnam Street Leominster is David Lewis age 57 & wife Hannah age 60, Annuitant born Ringland, Norfolk. David Lewis has a death index in Dec 1859 Leominster and there is also a death index for Anna Lewis in Leominster in June 1873 age 84, but yet to find her on the 1871 census.

Ancestry's Probate Calendar has an entry for her; she died 22 April 1873 at Leominster; will proved by Harriette Wright of Leominster, spinster, the niece & one of the exectruxes. I might just have to get copy of that will.

Prior to that Anna Wright married first William Sheen at Leominster on 2 Feb 1828. After William died (don't know when) as Anna Sheen she next married Joseph Wells at Leominster on 24 Jun 1834, he dies Sept qtr 1837.... Lastly she marries David Lewis.

So the monument raised to her mother Elizabeth Wright who died in 1820 must have been done by her as Ann Wells, between 1834 & 1842.   

Regards
John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry's Probate Calendar has an entry for her; she died 22 April 1873 at Leominster; will proved by Harriette Wright of Leominster, spinster, the niece & one of the exectruxes. I might just have to get copy of that will.

The will of Anna Lewis dated 12 Nov 1870, proved on 21 June 1873 on oath of Harriette Wright, spinster, niece of deceased, daughter of her late brother William Wright and Jane Elliott, widow, also niece of the deceased, also daughter of the said William Wright; joint exectruxes and adminstrators of trust/legacies.

Highlights.... I give to my nieces Harriet Wright & Jane Elliott, both of Norwood in Surrey, daughters of late brother William Wright, all sums of money in hand or outstanding to my account or on deposit at the bank etc.. and all arrears of annuity to which I am entitled for my life secured on the property of the late Mr Wooding, and sum of £21 4s 4d as paid by me for the enfranchisement of the house I now reside. Plus all my plate, linen, furniture & effects as comprised in the Settlement made on my marriage with the Rev David Lewis. All of this to be place upon trust and convert into money as soon after my decease.

From this legacy I give to Harriet Wright & Jane Elliott fifty pounds each, to my neighbours Mr & Mrs Pritchard ten pounds. The residue to split into 6 shares, one to Harriet Wright, one to Jane Elliott, one to their brother George Wright, one to Harriet Elizabeth Trowse daughter of my late brother Jonas Wright, one to Charles Trowse son of my late sister Lydia Trowse, and one to John Trowse brother of the said Charles Trowse.

I direct that my body be buried in the graveyard of the Baptist Chapel at Leominster, as per the direction of Mr Edmund Gould of Leominster.
Clement - Croydon

Offline gasometer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

You have added to my knowledge of the TROWSE family as well as the WRIGHT family.

I knew that Harriet Elizabeth WRIGHT (bap 1826 Heigham and died 1889 Norwich) married William TROWSE (bap 1827 Sparham and died 1892 Norwich) in 1850 at Sparham.  William TROWSE was the son of Charles TROWSE (bap 1799 at Horsford and bur 1877 Sparham) and Elizabeth COLEBY (bap 1799 Sparham and bur 1862 Sparham) who married 1827 at Sparham.  Charles was the son of John TROWSE and Ann MARGETSON widow who married 1791 at Horsford.  These are my direct ancestors.

I also knew that John TROWSE (bap 1792 Horsford), the brother of Charles TROWSE, married a Lydia and had sons Charles (bap 1826 Costessey) and John (bap 1829 Costessey).  I had no idea that Lydia was Lydia WRIGHT, sister of Jonas, William and Ann SHEEN/WELLS/LEWIS.  This may explain how William TROWSE met Harriet since his uncle John TROWSE was already married to Lydia who was Harriet's aunt.

Many thanks for the information.

Gasometer

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 16:40 GMT (UK) »
This may explain how William TROWSE met Harriet since his uncle John TROWSE was already married to Lydia who was Harriet's aunt.

More on this Gasometer,

I have it that John Trowse, widower married Lydia Wright, spinster on 11 Nov 1823 at St.John de Sepulchre, Norwich; and the witnesses were Jonah (or Jonas) Wright & Elizabeth Denton. As you know these married at Heigham in 1825.   
Clement - Croydon