Author Topic: John Newill  (Read 14117 times)

Offline fountaintower

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Newill
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 April 15 12:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, Raphael. I was wondering whether John Newill was born around  Presteigne and whether it was in Radnorshire in the 1770's. He moved to Welshpool at some point and married in Guilsfield.
John's twin brother - assuming that's correct - Hugh Newell, moved to Presteigne, where he founded an ironmongers which continued til the 1970s, when his descendant died.  Hugh died 6 months after John.  He is reputed to have married an Elizabeth Owen.

Hugh and John's father, Richard, rented a lot of land and buildings in and around Welshpool, and seems wealthy.

I can't access the Welsh Library, as I live in Kent, but have seen on a Shropshire history website that Joseph Heykin left everything in his will to his sons-in-law.  I think the Mary Heakin born to him in Worthen is by his second wife, Anne.  Mary married John Jones of Shropshire, so that would tie in as Joseph's son-in-law.

Although John says born out of County, that could be an error, as I've come across dozens perpetrated either by my forebear themselves, the enumerator at the time, or subsequently by bodies like modern Councils' translations - Warwickshire is appalling.

If only they had lived longer, records were more specific, or the Census had begun earlier, it would be so much easier!
Newel/Newell/Newall
Hanlon of Tralee & Birmingham
Halford of Halford, Tredington & Alscott
Venour of Warwickshire
Fountain(e) of Cranfield, Bedfordshire
Brindley of Lapley area, Staffordshire
Bailey of Birmingham
Jenkinson of Norfolk or Suffolk

Offline fishergate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 06 April 15 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Fountaintower,
I'm interested in the parents you have for John Newill - Richard and Catherine. Were any of his children given these names?
Some time ago I veered towards John Newill baptised 12th March 1771 at St. Martin's Birmingham.
His parents were Joseph Newill and Anne (Green) who married at St. Michael's Coventry 3rd November 1755 and their children were George,Anne . Thomas, Elizabeth, John and Joseph.
I was interested in this family as the Newill's and Beatties have very strong links with Birmingham and I was hoping to find an apprenticeship record for John Newill as a tailor.

Offline fountaintower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Fountaintower,
I'm interested in the parents you have for John Newill - Richard and Catherine. Were any of his children given these names?
Some time ago I veered towards John Newill baptised 12th March 1771 at St. Martin's Birmingham.
His parents were Joseph Newill and Anne (Green) who married at St. Michael's Coventry 3rd November 1755 and their children were George,Anne . Thomas, Elizabeth, John and Joseph.
I was interested in this family as the Newill's and Beatties have very strong links with Birmingham and I was hoping to find an apprenticeship record for John Newill as a tailor.
Hi,
One son, Richard, was born in 1771, but died soon after.  None of the girls was named Catherine.
I seem to have literally just found confirmation that my Hugh was indeed the one born in Llanwnog, as he was apprenticed there as a tanner, which was his living for many years.  He also had an apprentice tawser (dresser of leather), Richard Newell, who would have been born c 1792.  A Richard Newell is then a tanner in High Street, Welshpool, but I need to do a lot more work on this.
I had seen Mary Newill Owen's publication, and have just discovered today that she was Thomas Newill's granddaughter.
I was in touch with a lady some time ago who has masses of info on the Heakin/Hekin connection, of which I was unaware at the time.
Remember, you're very welcome to be my visitor to Ancestry UK - they never charge visitors, and it may help your searches - just email me: melissf@outlook.com.
I've emailed to someone called meilocki today who seems to have a lot of Newill/Newell info.
I'm sure you know that there were Newells in Shropshire, but I've pretty much discounted them.
Hugh and his family are very frustrating, because they were Primitive Methodists, and BDM records are not good.
Best regards,
Melissa
Newel/Newell/Newall
Venour of Warwickshire
Bailey of Birmingham

Offline fountaintower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 April 15 00:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies. John Newill was a tailor on his marriage bond in the Welsh Library and later overseer for the poor who would also supervise settlement of newcomers into the Parish. He is my gt gt gt grandfather through William Beattie and Elizabeth Newill. We are interested in tracing John Newill back as he says he wasn't born in the County in 1841; There is a similar blockage with William Beattie who was born in Dumfries (shire)1796/7 and was a travelling teadealer, who seems to have 'linked up' with Elizabeth Newill on his travels and was  married hurriedly by licence at Meols Brace in 1824. He later farmed at Red Bank and had the vote in 1860.We have traced back Elizabeth Hekin John's wife but her mother Jane Owen's roots are difficult to trace. We have a good tree for the Hekin;ekin .Eakin, Ikin Family in Shropshire.
Regards
Fishergate
Hi, I've just found that John NewEll, 'taylor' of Pool, was master to an apprentice, Isaac Jones, in 1806, which at least shows that the name was spelt differently depending on the person who recorded it - I've found Nules, Nowells, Nuwales etc.!
Newel/Newell/Newall
Venour of Warwickshire
Bailey of Birmingham

Offline fountaintower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 April 15 00:07 BST (UK) »
I am searching for the parents of John Newill born c. 1771  'out of the county' in the 1841 census.
In his Marriage Bond to Elizabeth Hekin (Ekin) 1798 he is described as a tailor and married at Guilsfield. He does not appear on the Shropshire records. Were there any boundary changes which could place him in Radnorshire or elsewhere ?
I forgot to say that entries on the Census can be incorrectly trascribed, or the people themselves give differing information - he may have thought 'town' rather than county if he was born in Llanwnog, as I'm beginning to believe.  Just a thought!
Newel/Newell/Newall
Venour of Warwickshire
Bailey of Birmingham

Offline fountaintower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 11 May 15 11:13 BST (UK) »
I am searching for the parents of John Newill born c. 1771  'out of the county' in the 1841 census.
In his Marriage Bond to Elizabeth Hekin (Ekin) 1798 he is described as a tailor and married at Guilsfield. He does not appear on the Shropshire records. Were there any boundary changes which could place him in Radnorshire or elsewhere ?
Hi, the only John (all spellings, inc. Nule) I've found who was apprenticed as a tailor was John Newell in Poulton, Lancashire, in 1783, to John Lawton, which would be a bit young, possibly, according to the dob of 1771 that he gives. 
On looking at the 1841 Census again, though, I notice there's a mark beside where he says 'no' to born in County, which the ennumerator sometimes put to indicate an incorrect answer.
Newel/Newell/Newall
Venour of Warwickshire
Bailey of Birmingham