Author Topic: Maginn /McGinn  (Read 4885 times)

Offline alblas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maginn /McGinn
« on: Thursday 28 January 10 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am trying to find out if my GG grandfather Peter Maginn had any brothers or sisters?
I know that Peter McGinn was born around 1862 and was married on The 5th of April 1889 to Ann Casey in the Dungannon RC church .On his Death cert [Scotland] his parents are listed as James McGinn and Elizabeth Gillen and Ann Caseys parents are Thomas Casey and Margaret Clyne.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Regards
Anna

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maginn /McGinn
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 January 10 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Anna,
         A Parent Search on the IGI, part of www.familysearch.org gives one sibling but there may very well be others.

15 May 1867 Mary Anne McGinn, Dungannon.

Regards       
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline alblas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 January 10 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou
so very much.That comfirms that Elizabeth Gillen was the right name.I was starting to think they had got it wrong on Peters death certificate.
I didn't know about the parent search on the LDS site :-[
Cheers
Anna

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 January 10 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Anna,

A Parent search..... just enter the parents names and the location into the IGI and, if available, all children will be shown.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline alblas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 January 10 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kingskerswell
I had a look as you said.Funny how Mary Ann comes up and not Peter.
Regards
Anna

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 January 10 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kingskerswell
I had a look as you said.Funny how Mary Ann comes up and not Peter.
Regards
Anna

Not strange at all. Civil registration of births started in 1864 so there are no birth certificates before that date- your Peter was born c1862. Also remember that LDS records are not complete so there could be other children born 1864 or later who are not listed in IGI). In general IGI has many (not all) Irish births 1864-c1882.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline alblas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 January 10 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey
Forgive me for my moment of stupidity :-[
I did  know about the Civil registrations dates.
I just got a wee bit excited by finding the names that I didn't look at the dates.
Just put me at the back of the class lol
Cheers
Anna

Offline Ellen M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 July 17 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am Mary Ann Maginn's GGD. Her parents were James Maginn and Elizabeth Gillen/Gillin. Following is based on oral history-She was the youngest, next Peter who went to Scotland to work in family business, then Michael Mitchell died age 12, James, John (eldest), both went to Philadelphia. Mary Ann married William Davidson and came to US early 1890s, settled in Hamden, CT. I have been researching both families w/o much luck, would appreciate any information. Also, sounds as if we are cousins!
Ellen

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 July 17 05:32 BST (UK) »
The 1867 birth for Mary Ann McGinn shows she was born in Drumnashalloge, and that her father was a labourer. That’s on the modern Glasdrummond Rd, south of Dungannon.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1867/03489/2282458.pdf

The Valuation Revision records for that townland don’t list James McGinn. However there is a Francis Gillen there. I suspect that will be a relation of Elizabeth Gillen’s (her father perhaps) and the couple were living there. Francis had plot 3a which was a labourer’s cottage on John Bloomer’s farm.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/searching-valuation-revision-books

The families were gone by the 1901 census:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Derrygortrevy/Drumnashaloge/

I looked for a death for Michael Mitchell McGinn/Maginn aged 12 but did not find one. Perhaps he died before 1864 when death registration started.

The 1889 marriage for Peter McGinn places him in Cullenramer, working as a servant. That’s the next townland to Drumnashalloge. It shares a border with it. So he hadn’t moved far from the family home in the 1860s.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1889/10732/5912860.pdf

I notice that witness to the marriage was Francis Gillen. Could be a coincidence or it might be the same Francis who lived in Drumnashalloge.

There were 2 Gillens living in Cullenramer in 1901. One born in Glasgow, the other in Tyrone.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Castlecaulfield/Culleneamer/1738289/

This may be Ann’s birth, in Dungannon workhouse:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1891/02393/1892439.pdf

I looked for a death for James McGinn in the Dungannon area 1867 – 1901. The only one I saw was on 31.7.1878 aged 64. You might want to look at that.
Elwyn