Author Topic: LOCOCK, WILMINGTON and CLIST  (Read 1858 times)

Offline floggle toggle

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LOCOCK, WILMINGTON and CLIST
« on: Thursday 28 January 10 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Has anybody come across the above names?
N.B. Wilmington can also be spelt "Willmington".
The Wilmington's came from around Luppit, and I have also found a Wilmington-Clist but as yet no Locock's. All I know of the Locock's origin is that they came from "the West country"!

Anybody help please?
Wheatley Sussex/Australia, Heasman - Tasker - Tester Sussex, Locock - Wilmington Sussex/Devon, Mankelow Kent

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: LOCOCK, WILMINGTON and CLIST
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 January 10 12:34 GMT (UK) »
What dates are you looking at?
I am not sure where you have looked but have you checked FreeREG?
I have found no Lococks but there are several BMD on Freereg for Wilmington and variants including Wolmington/Woolmington mostly in Upottery, Devon .
Lots of Clists.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline floggle toggle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 January 10 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Trish.
To be honest, I came to a brickwall on the Locock's so went and did another part of my tree  :-[
I have found some Willmington's Upottery and Luppitt, but not any Locock's.
As to date, Charles Locock b 1830 Yarcombe d 1892 Luppitt, married Mary Willmington b 1830 Luppitt.
I found the Willmington-Clist just by chance!
I will try FreeREG.

Floggle :)
Wheatley Sussex/Australia, Heasman - Tasker - Tester Sussex, Locock - Wilmington Sussex/Devon, Mankelow Kent

Offline Stanford.T

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 12:47 GMT (UK) »
If it any help to you I am the son of a "locock".   I believe the main concentration of this family name was/is in Somerset although my known relatives now live in Hampshire.  My branch of the family moved to S. Wales in the late 1800's but my mother,at 94,  is I believe the last surviving member.  there are references to the name in both the 1861 and 1871 census.

Offline floggle toggle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou.
I never knew of the "Welsh" connection.. My relatives are mainly in Sussex, but extend to Hampshire and Lincolnshire!

floggle toggle, :)

Offline Fullcircle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 20:36 GMT (UK) »
The Locock family actually were from Yarcombe. I have only just started my research, but my great, great grandmother was Sarah Locock (I have certificates to verify this).Her siblings were William, Elizabeth & Charles. I am not totally sure, but it seems that their mother was also a Sarah Locock by marriage & may well have married twice - the second time being to a John Trott. This may have had some bearing on the name Trott being used by her son Charles Locock (who married Mary Wilmington) & also by the first son of that marriage - another Charles. The second Charles was Charles John Wilmington Locock and on occasion used either the surname Trott or even Wilmington-Trott! This is confusing when tracing in Census. Sarah Locock the second (my g.g. Grandmother)married William Hail in Bristol in 1850, her sister Elizabeth was also living in Bristol & her brother William was the member of the family who moved to Wales. Am pretty sure of all these facts - except the marriage to John Trott which I have not verified yet. Hope this is useful.

Offline Fullcircle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - an amendment to my previous reply. The Welsh line of descent from the Lococks was not through William Locock, her brother, but through one of her children.
Sarah the second (born 1820) had a son William, two daughters -Sarah Lavinia & Kate Amelia & possibly another son Ralph? William had moved to Wales by 1885 & Sarah Lavinia (known as Lavinia & married name Edmunds) was living in Wales by 1881. Sarah seems to have moved to Leeds Yorkshire in later life with Kate Amelia (my great Grandmother) & died there. However, Sarah Lavinia had also moved from Wales to Leeds by 1891. How I wish that they had not used the same name repeatedly - too much confusion!

Offline Stubbsy330

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 March 21 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I have links to the Wilmington-Locock family. Later the Wilmington was dropped. Family in Hastings, Grantham, Lincs, Newark over the years.