Author Topic: Helen FERGUSSON and David LITTLE  (Read 8117 times)

Offline buksang

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Helen FERGUSSON and David LITTLE
« on: Thursday 28 January 10 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hope someone may be able to assist. The above named great grand parents married on 19.11.1884/1885 at Tarbolton. Helen b. abt 1865 and David likewise. Their first child, Robert Brown Little was b. 18/01/1886 at Failford Tarbolton.Its believed Robert subsequently emigrated to Canada.  David is described as a ploughman and later the family moved to Gillespie Farm Old Luce Wigtownshire where several children including my grandfather Alexander Fergusson Little was born . Am trying to progress Helen and David's parents but unsuccessful so far. Any help much appreciated..!! Thanks Buksang

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Helen FERGUSSON and David LITTLE
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 January 10 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi buksang

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Have you looked at the marriage entry for Helen and David? This should include their parents' names to let you work back.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 January 10 13:25 GMT (UK) »
One possibility from IGI for Helen's birth details, matching place of birth from later censuses:

HELEN FERGUSSON  Birth: 16 SEP 1865 Tarbolton, Ayr
Parents:ALEXANDER FERGUSSON and HELEN WILSON

Also, a possible entry for David Little:

DAVID LITTLE Birth: 03 DEC 1865 Ayr, Ayr   
Parents: ROBERT LITTLE and JESSIE GRAY    

Their marriage entry will let you confirm  :)

Their 1891 census entry:

David Little 26, farm greive b. Ayr, Ayr
Helen Little 26 , b. Tarbolton Ayr
Robert B Little 5 b. Tarbolton Ayr
Helen R Little 3 b. Old Luce
Alexander F Little 11 Months b. Old Luce

Address: Dunraget Off Stranraer Road, Old Luce

Monica

Offline buksang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 January 10 13:41 GMT (UK) »
You are a star Monica, Its they!! My mother is still with us at nearly 85 and back home in Wigtownshire after 40 years here in Brum Many thanks but what is IGI presume an index of sorts regards

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 January 10 14:04 GMT (UK) »
IGI is a free to search site which forms part of the databases on www.familysearch.org (web site of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints/LDS).

It is a great free search tool for Scottish births and marriage records, particularly for the period post the start of official registration, 1855, up to around 1874 when the Mormons stopped loading on Scottish entries. Before this year of 1855, the entries relate to Old Parish Registers (Presbyterian). Once you have found entries, you can look up the actual entry and image on the pay to view site for Scotland BMDs and original census images www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

I am not sure how much information you may have already on the family lines, eg. censuses or siblings to Helen and David. Have you got this info already?

Monica

Offline buksang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 January 10 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info re IGI Monica, I have some info  re siblings of  David and Helen from 1891 and 1901 census only via ancestry.co.uk free trial and birth certs for robert little and alexander f. little via scotlandspeople which i paid for. Obviously trying to use some of mom's info but as she says this sort of topic was not talked about other than in general terms and being away from the area for so long has been out of the then family chat etc!!Mom thinks Robert B Little went to Winnipeg and returned with Canadian expeditionary to fight in WW1 before settling in canada and married a lady called Ivy and had a son Brandon. Have tried these on mentioned sites but negative so far. Her father went to Gallipoli . Any suggestions to check this sort of info would be grateful Have used find my past free trial but they are about to provide scottish ancestry shortly I can recommend them as a user friendly web site. Trying to exhaust free routes for info before paying . Many thanks once more ..made our day! buksang and regards

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 January 10 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Roberts Brown Littles attestation papers can be downloaded for free from

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=532181&interval=20&&PHPSESSID=mquc4lsjaak6us09aobp9lmi22

Make sure to download both the front and back pages.  Regards,   Steve    :O)

Update:  From the IGI ,born to Robert Little and Jessie Gray

1. DAVID LITTLE  Birth: 03 DEC 1865 Ayr, Ayr, Scotland
2. ROBERT LITTLE  Birth: 04 NOV 1867 Ayr, Ayr, Scotland

pm sent on how to do IGI searches up to 1874/5 as Monica advised.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 January 10 16:31 GMT (UK) »
hi buksang  :)

welcome to the site

here is a marriage that may interest you
robert brown little to ivy may brandon 26th july 1928 winnipeg manitoba
registration number 1928,033296
found at this site

http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 January 10 17:09 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering now that Robert Brown Little's details have been confirmed by Steve and Ev, it might be worthwhile you posting on the Canadian board here on RC to see whether experienced Canadian RootsChatter could find out a little bit more www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,166.0.html  Would be good if you added what info has been found so far here to give a start to any searches  :)

You have from Steve also now how to do a 'parent search' on IGI to bring up siblings for David and Helen. Be aware for David's mother Jessie that a common variant is Janet. For some reason IGI doesn't pick up on this variant as it normally does on Scottish name variants (Jane and Jean being another example). I think there is at least another child for Robert Little and wife, with her showing as Janet rather than Jessie from IGI.

You should also hopefully also be able to identify the Little/Gray and Ferguson/Wilson marriages on IGI which you can then view the full marriage entry on Scotlands People...to get you back to next generation.

Have a look here on RC for notes and links on researching in Scotland  www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html

This site is also great for counties & parishes - see the links on the l/h side for the maps www.scotlandsfamily.com

I've got the children now all back from school so on the job for a bit. If you let me know what censuses you have outstanding, I or someone else can have a look for you  :)

Monica