Author Topic: Notton Farm nr Lacock  (Read 6904 times)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Notton Farm nr Lacock
« on: Thursday 28 January 10 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about Notton Farm or its history?  My husbands grandfather lived there and we went out looking recently to see if it was still there but didn't find it.  The NT shop in Lacock hadn't heard of it. 
 :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Notton Farm nr Lacock
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 January 10 17:58 GMT (UK) »
I am not familiar with the area but clearly there is an area known as Notton for Wiltshire Notes & Queries vol 6 gives the will of Sam Michell of Notton and the book Burkes Royal Families of England shows a pedigree of Awdry of Notton. There is also Laycock by Bowles page 303. Sight of these might help to tie things down a bit.
Toby.

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 January 10 18:20 GMT (UK) »
The name of your husband's grandfather might also be helpful as there were Taylors & Knotts farming in that area.
Toby.

Offline ARG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 January 10 19:11 GMT (UK) »
I have checked an O.S. map and the nearest I can find is Great Notton Farm. This is on the edge of, and may very well be part of, Lackham College of Agriculture. This is approximately one mile before you reach Lacock on the A350 coming from Chippenham. A left turn prior to the Lacock turning takes you to Great Notton Farm and on to Reybridge, Lacock.

Trust this may be of some use.

ARG
Gough, Wiltshire
Coughlin, S. Wales, Southampton, Cork?

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 January 10 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you his name was Henry Tayler father James Tayler.  He also lived at Lacock in East Street (managed to find that one!)  From the Lackham College page Notton Farm appears to be part of their sheep process so I imagine it won't be looking the same. 
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 January 10 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Kelly Directories of Wiltshire yield
1895 James Taylor (sic) farmer, Notton, Lacock.
1907 James Tayler (sic) farmer, Notton, Lacock.
You may therefore be able to tie down the position of the farm by referring to the 1901 census. Apart from the actual entry of the family you will find on a previous page  a description of the enumerators route which may be helpful in pinpointing the building.
Referring to Kelly of 1859, one finds a John Knott farmer at Clapgate Farm , Notton. This might be the same farm with a change of name before or on arrival of your family.
Good luck,Toby.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 January 10 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  Not quite sure how to see a description of the enumerators route  ???  Not come across that before.  Do you mean view previous/next households like you can do on the 1881?  I wasn't aware you could view an actual route.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 January 10 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes you can. I am not familiar with the correct terms but households were gathered together in groups and there were analysis sheets for the group and at the start was a single page  with a description of the route e.g. "North side of Wootton Street to the Kings Arms, over the canal to group of cottages." I don't know however if the census returns which are on the web include these pages.
Toby.

Offline wiltshireguyuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Yes Notton Farm is now part of the Wiltshire College Lackham estate.  There are some records in the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre in Chippenham, one being a diary of Eleanor Davy between 1929-1956 (W&SHC 3550/1-4) which is way too late for your grandfather I know.  If you would like me to have a look through the HC records when I am next there I would be happy to do so, please let me know if there is anything specific you want to find out.

Hope your research is going well

Tony