Author Topic: Gypsies - help pls  (Read 7382 times)

Offline julied

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Gypsies - help pls
« on: Thursday 17 March 05 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, help needed  please regarding gypsies in Essex.  My husbands grandmother was b 1893 in Chignall, Writtle [her mother died in childbirth].  After her birth she was brought up by her fathers sister and had no further contact with either him or his family.  She was told as a child [by whom I don't know] that her mother was a gypsy.  How would one go about finding out whether this were true?  Any help greatfully appreciated.
Cheers,
Julie
AGNEW - BENTLEY -  BUCHANAN - CAMERON - CHEATER - CRAIG - DAVIS - GALBRAITH - HOLE - JONES - KENMUIR - KENNEDY-  LEATE - LILLEY - McWILLIAM - MILNE - ROWLANDS - SAUNDERS - SKERRATT - TODD
AUSTEN - BALDRY - BARLOW - BEALE - BRIMLEY - BRUTNALL -  BUTLIN - CHILD - CHILDS - EVERITT - FEWELL -  FITZGERALD - GOOLD - GOSPER -  - HIPWELL - HUBBARD - LEWIS - MARSDEN - PERRIN - RAYNER - REYNOLDS - STERLING - STEVENS - TWIN - TURNER - WANT- WILSON - WORTON

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gypsies - help pls
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 March 05 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

You need to follow/trace this family just as if they were a non-Gypsy family.  There will be census, civil registration and church records out there somewhere just the same.  They might be more difficult to find and there may not be quite so many births registered but the family should be traceable.

What information do you have already ie. names/dates/places?

Casalguidi

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline corbie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 March 05 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie
    Try "The Romany & Travellers History Society" they have lots of links pertaining to gipsies and travellers, including several census'
     Good Luck Corbie. :)
HYATT/ELLIOTT/MULLANEY/CORBETT/CASHMORE/AUCOTT/TOPP/TANDY.

Offline julied

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 March 05 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi, thanks for replying.  I don't have a lot of info at all unfortunately - Maria Agnes Perrin b 26.10.1893 Chignall, Writtle [migrated to Oz in 1923].  Her parents were Frederick James Fewell and Maria Perrin.  She was b 1860 and died during childbirth.  This was all the info I had until receiving a message from a kind rootschatter named Alan who found the family in the1861 Chignal St James census.  [He said this was the only Maria Perrin listed of the correct age so assumed it to be the right family].
George Perrin 41 Ag Lab born Broomfield, Essex
Sophia wife 41 born Writtle
William son 16 Ag Lab born Chignal St James
Emma dau 12 born C St J
Samuel son 11 C St J
Maria 1 C St J.
Alan also found them in the 1851 census at 24 Gandy's farm.
It is this Perrin side of the family who are supposed to be the gypsies. 

And to Corbie, hi and many thanks for your suggestion, will give that site a go.
Thanks again to you both.
Cheers.
Julie
AGNEW - BENTLEY -  BUCHANAN - CAMERON - CHEATER - CRAIG - DAVIS - GALBRAITH - HOLE - JONES - KENMUIR - KENNEDY-  LEATE - LILLEY - McWILLIAM - MILNE - ROWLANDS - SAUNDERS - SKERRATT - TODD
AUSTEN - BALDRY - BARLOW - BEALE - BRIMLEY - BRUTNALL -  BUTLIN - CHILD - CHILDS - EVERITT - FEWELL -  FITZGERALD - GOOLD - GOSPER -  - HIPWELL - HUBBARD - LEWIS - MARSDEN - PERRIN - RAYNER - REYNOLDS - STERLING - STEVENS - TWIN - TURNER - WANT- WILSON - WORTON

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 March 05 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,
You may find that the birth was not registered.
My great aunt was a Romany, she married my maternal side grandmother's brother and lived at Gt Leighs, Essex.  Last year over in the UK I met her daughter and she is of the opinion that her mother's birth was not registered, she said that none of the family knew her age or birthdate.  The daughter also was of the belief that some Romany families did not register births.
My great aunt had an unusual first name which originally I thought might help to find her in the Free BMD, but to date I have been unable to find her in that site, although I realise it's not 100 % complete.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I thought informing you might be the right thing to do, I hope you are lucky and that the birth was registered.
Regards 
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 March 05 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,

Have you seen the Maria Perrin in the 1881 Census - age 21, born Chelmsford (Chignal St James is on the outskirts of Chelmsford)?  She is a domestic servant in the household of a lace warehouseman and his family called Tate.  The address is 10 Manor Place, Hackney (could be Leyton) - it's in E10 in my London A-Z.

Deborah
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline julied

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 March 05 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Findem  :) we meet again.  [I'm also researching William Fewell & Margaret Twin and this Maria Perrin mar Frederick James Fewell in 1882].  Thanks for your info by the way.  Since my first post this evening I have been given the info from another kind rootschatter that Maria Perrin's mother's name was Sophia Everitt b 1820 Writtle, died 1866 age 47, Chelmsford.  Now I just need to work back from her. 

Deborah thank you also, I hadn't seen that entry but it's the lady I'm looking for.

Cheers guys,
Julie

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 March 05 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

These might be useful:

Chignall - nr. the school

Frederick FEWELL head mar 30 ag lab b.Chignall
Maria wife 31 b.C
Harry son 7 b.C
Ada? dau 4 b.C
Lily dau 9m b.C
George PERRIN lodger widower 73 ag lab b.Broomfield

RG12/1387 folio 84 page 8

1 The Pit, Chignall

Elizabeth FEWELL head wid 82 b.Dunmow
Harry FEWELL grandson 17 ordinary ag lab b.Chignall
Lilly grandau 10 b.Chignall

RG13/1673 folio 162 page 5

90 Walnut St, St Andrew, Leicester, Leicestershire

James LAWYER/SAWYER head mar 36 blacksmith b.Chapple, Essex
Agnes wife 34 b.Chignall
Marie dau 7 b.Chignall
Marie TAYLOR visitor 1 b.London

RG13/3005 folio 148 page 11

James SAWYER m Agnes FEWELL 1890 Romford RD  ???

Is the above Maria age 7 the daughter of Frederick & Maria FEWELL?

Can't see any evidence of Gypsies yet though!

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 March 05 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,
In case you've not got them in 1871. Regards Jan ;)
Cottage, Chignal St James
George Perren Head Wido 50 Agricultural Labourer Essex Broomfield
Samuel Perren Son 18 Agricultural Labourer Essex Chignal St james
Maria Perren Daur 10 Scholar Essex Chignal St James
David Wm Perren Nephew 19 Ag Lab Essex Chignal St James
     RG10/1663 ED 8 Folio 103 Pg 11
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge