Author Topic: Gypsies - help pls  (Read 7376 times)

Offline brewerfewell

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gypsies - help pls
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 October 15 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, help needed  please regarding gypsies in Essex.  My husbands grandmother was b 1893 in Chignall, Writtle [her mother died in childbirth].  After her birth she was brought up by her fathers sister and had no further contact with either him or his family.  She was told as a child [by whom I don't know] that her mother was a gypsy.  How would one go about finding out whether this were true?  Any help greatfully appreciated.
Cheers,
Julie
hi
i know this an old post  but i too am looking into fewell gypsy..Harry Fewell was my grandfather..i have been told by older relative that both him and my grandmother were gypsy her name was brewer..finding this all very difficult to trace..
thanks
helen

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 October 15 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie. Just noticed your posts. I cannot recognize any of the surnames. As Romany. But we do. Did. Change surnames. Occupations are a good indication of ethnicity. From what you have. I would say your family were itinerant farm workers. Who would perhaps work as and when they could. But for sure they would have had contact with gypsies. As years ago  we would do seasonally.  fruit. potato. Vegetable. Harvesting. and lots of other work.on farms. Selling them baskets etc. Horse trading. So may be there is a link. But it will be hard to find. Try looking at family's around them in censuses. With known Romany names. And marriage certs.and two of my mother's siblings were not registered.  My own mother was born in a living vardo. And not registered for year's. And my g.father was a horse dealer. But his 10 children all worked on farms near their camps.so maybe the child was from traveller circles.? Relationships.. Not much help. But. Good luck anyway. .Rob
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline julied

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 November 15 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob
Apologies first of all for not thanking you for your reply sooner.  I will do as you suggest and look at neighbouring families in the censuses to see what turns up ... fingers crossed.
Cheers
Julie
AGNEW - BENTLEY -  BUCHANAN - CAMERON - CHEATER - CRAIG - DAVIS - GALBRAITH - HOLE - JONES - KENMUIR - KENNEDY-  LEATE - LILLEY - McWILLIAM - MILNE - ROWLANDS - SAUNDERS - SKERRATT - TODD
AUSTEN - BALDRY - BARLOW - BEALE - BRIMLEY - BRUTNALL -  BUTLIN - CHILD - CHILDS - EVERITT - FEWELL -  FITZGERALD - GOOLD - GOSPER -  - HIPWELL - HUBBARD - LEWIS - MARSDEN - PERRIN - RAYNER - REYNOLDS - STERLING - STEVENS - TWIN - TURNER - WANT- WILSON - WORTON

Offline G N Asher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 November 15 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Have you had a look at 'Romany/Gypsy Connections' ?
I found a branch of the family there.
William F Ballard , a tin smith, born in Liverpool is on the site as having R/G connections.His father
William was from Ireland,also a tin smith,so could he be the R/G connection ?