Author Topic: clan ian ruadh of knoydart  (Read 20887 times)

Offline docmac1958

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: clan ian ruadh of knoydart
« Reply #18 on: Friday 10 January 14 21:29 GMT (UK) »
I have a family tree of Clan Donald that is hand written and appears to be quite old. I received it from my father who received it from my great uncle, Monsignor Ranald MacDonald. I originally thought he had written it, but it was stored in a tube that had a mailing address TO Msgr Ranald MacDonald. There is no authors name on the document (24" X 35"). There are a few dates with the names and an occasional comment or title. There are only a few females listed. It actually has the line extending back MANY generations prior to Somerled and even has the line extending back to Conn, Ard Righ. It does name Ian Ruadh and under the name (Clan Ian Ruadh of Knoydart). The line from Somerled to Martin is as listed: Somerled,Reginald, Donald, Alastair Mor, Hector Ard, Hector Og, Charles, Ewen, Angus Buidhe, Niel, Ian Ruadh, Roderick, Dugall, John, Angus, Ian (John), Donald, Martin, Ewen, Ronald (Archbishop of Pictou). I believe there are some errors in the line and there certainly many siblings omitted.
I have just made some photographic archival pictures of this document. The original is getting framed and returned to my mother. I will write again to discuss my own personal line in Clan Donald.
Hope this will add to the discussion.

Offline ronzinck

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 January 14 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello:

Peter MacDonald passed this link on to me today. I am working on a family that I believe came to Glengarry Co., possibly on the 'MacDonald' from Knoydart. I do not know if the McLellan family was in the same group but my notes from Duncan 'Darby' MacDonald indicates that they were from Knoydaart. I attached a chart for your reference. I would interested in your opinion.

I  noted the mention of Fr. Ewen MacDonald's work; I have been copying/scanning  portions of them at the Archives of Ontario.  I was not aware that one could purchase them? 

I am always willing to share what I have with other researchers.

Regards,

Ron Zinck

Peter,

Noticed your post regarding Ian Ruadh of Knoydart. In Donald Whyte's book he shows a Martin MacDonald from Knoydart INV to Halifax NS 1787 settled Knoydart, Antigonish Co children John and Martin Jr. This Martin Jr has children Hugh, Donald, Ronald, Angus, Mary, John and Flora. I assume this is your line and that you have this information. I also notice your line on charts that I have. One is from the library at Clan Donald on Skye and the other done by Fairbanks MacDonell. The latter was done on certain MacDonald's and MacDonell's that had Priests and Bishops in their lines. The line coming down from Ian Ruadh, Ruari, Dougall, Angus Buy, Ian, Donald, Martin has Archbishop Ronald, Rev Roderick, Rev Ronald and Rev Joseph. I assume also that this is your line. I connect to this line showing us as 8th cousins. Some years ago I purchased the personal fonds of Rev Ewen J MacDonald (St. Finnan's) who was a genealogist and put together many charts and from this and other sources I built my line back to Somerled. Eight years ago I did a DNA test along with the seven current MacDonald chiefs that confirmed our paper trail. Have tested or considered it?

Tal

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 September 14 04:35 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I read with interest about the families of Ian Ruadh, and have a query about more recent descendants.
I am searching the ancestors of Father (Roderick) Andrew McDonell (1870-1960). His mother was Margaret McDonald from Knoydart , born about 1838. On her marriage to Duncan McDonell from Glengarry her parents are listed as Roderick (ie Ruari Ruadh, son of Angus, son of Ruari, son of Neil etc) and Henrietta both McDonald.
On searching the census I have found Roderick and Penelope McDonald at Knoydart in 1841  with Margaret age 3 and Angus 6mths. Could Penelope be a mistranscription for Henrietta, saying Henny could be mistaken for Penny?
Does anyone have knowledge of these people?
Regards,
AMH

Offline matkinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 03:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,  My name is Marion (nee McDonell) and I am related to the clan in New Zealand and also in other parts of Australia.  My grandfather, Duncan and wife Mary (Duncan, son of Donald and grandson of Duncan and great grandson of Donald) came to Australia and settled in Queensland.  We are definitely of the same clan and I would love to be in contact with you.

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Would love to hear from you and exchange information.  Duncan was the brother of Alexander and Catherine and father of my grandfather, Michael McDonell.  Duncan and his wife Mary - who came to Australia are both buried in Rockhampton, Queensland.
Please contact me as I would love to hear from you.
Regards
Marion

Offline gazzamacca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Macca,

Just wondering if you have had any luck with your research on Clan Ian Ruadh of Knoydart?  I am attempting to verify the exact origin of my 5G Grandfather Martin MacDonald of Knoydart.  He arrived in Nova Scotia ca 1784-86 and received land on the Pictou/Antigonish County line.  Supposedly he was the person who named the area in Nova Scotia, Knoydart.  He had a brother John who came to Nova Scotia for a short time before leaving for Glengarry, Ontario.

There are a few variations from different sources as to possible lines of Martin's origin, none of which I have been able to verify to date.  Any information on Clan Ian Ruadh of Knoydart would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Peter

Hello Peter, this a photo of John McDonell's head stone at Auchterawe cemetry, near Fort Augustus.
This is as far back as i can go ...so far.
macca
macdonell  macdonald  kennedy  robertson  mcinnes mcleod
Fort Augustus Spean Bridge Tirnadrish  Skye

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,

I have just had a quick run through this old thread (not related)!

No-one has mentioned that "Ian Ruadh" simply means Red haired John which would probably be used to differentiate him from another John.

There was also a mention of "Angus Buidhe" (Buidhe being yellow).

I'm unsure if the 'Buidhe' reference has anything to do with a connection with the 'Bata Buidhe' (Yellow stick)?

A site worth a look at which is very informative:

https://westernisles.wordpress.com/2009/01/04/welcome/

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Peter MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 03 December 17 19:52 GMT (UK) »
I have a family tree of Clan Donald that is hand written and appears to be quite old. I received it from my father who received it from my great uncle, Monsignor Ranald MacDonald. I originally thought he had written it, but it was stored in a tube that had a mailing address TO Msgr Ranald MacDonald. There is no authors name on the document (24" X 35"). There are a few dates with the names and an occasional comment or title. There are only a few females listed. It actually has the line extending back MANY generations prior to Somerled and even has the line extending back to Conn, Ard Righ. It does name Ian Ruadh and under the name (Clan Ian Ruadh of Knoydart). The line from Somerled to Martin is as listed: Somerled,Reginald, Donald, Alastair Mor, Hector Ard, Hector Og, Charles, Ewen, Angus Buidhe, Niel, Ian Ruadh, Roderick, Dugall, John, Angus, Ian (John), Donald, Martin, Ewen, Ronald (Archbishop of Pictou). I believe there are some errors in the line and there certainly many siblings omitted.
I have just made some photographic archival pictures of this document. The original is getting framed and returned to my mother. I will write again to discuss my own personal line in Clan Donald.
Hope this will add to the discussion.

docmac1958,

We are cousins please PM me.

Peter MacDonald

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 03 December 17 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

You could pm docmac, as he is a new user he is unable to fully access the pm's until he has made another post on the forum.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peter MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 03 December 17 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

You could pm docmac, as he is a new user he is unable to fully access the pm's until he has made another post on the forum.

Regards

Sarah

Thank you Sarah.