Author Topic: clan ian ruadh of knoydart  (Read 20964 times)

Offline Peter MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: clan ian ruadh of knoydart
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 03 December 17 21:21 GMT (UK) »
docmac1958,

Your PM Box is Full.

Peter MacDonald

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 03 December 17 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

He will be unable to access the PM's until he has made another post  ;)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peter MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 03 December 17 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

He will be unable to access the PM's until he has made another post  ;)

Regards

Sarah

Thank you again Sarah  :)

Peter

Offline Peter MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 01:44 BST (UK) »
I have a family tree of Clan Donald that is hand written and appears to be quite old. I received it from my father who received it from my great uncle, Monsignor Ranald MacDonald. I originally thought he had written it, but it was stored in a tube that had a mailing address TO Msgr Ranald MacDonald. There is no authors name on the document (24" X 35"). There are a few dates with the names and an occasional comment or title. There are only a few females listed. It actually has the line extending back MANY generations prior to Somerled and even has the line extending back to Conn, Ard Righ. It does name Ian Ruadh and under the name (Clan Ian Ruadh of Knoydart). The line from Somerled to Martin is as listed: Somerled,Reginald, Donald, Alastair Mor, Hector Ard, Hector Og, Charles, Ewen, Angus Buidhe, Niel, Ian Ruadh, Roderick, Dugall, John, Angus, Ian (John), Donald, Martin, Ewen, Ronald (Archbishop of Pictou). I believe there are some errors in the line and there certainly many siblings omitted.
I have just made some photographic archival pictures of this document. The original is getting framed and returned to my mother. I will write again to discuss my own personal line in Clan Donald.
Hope this will add to the discussion.

Hello docmac1958,

Would like to get in touch with you as we are cousins.  I have a fair bit of research completed that I would like to share with you.

Peter MacDonald (s/o Ronald, s/o Peter, s/o Mark, s/o Angus, s/o Hugh, s/o Hugh, s/o Martin Jr, s/o Martin Sr, s/o Donald, s/o John, s/o Angus)

Offline kfrye173

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 16 January 20 03:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I descend from Archibald Roy MacDonell 1751-1843 Char 9C4N married Ann MacDonell 1768 -1855 father of "the Banker" line in Charlottenburgh. He came on the Ship McDonald in 1786-7.

I connected with the St Raph's cemetery groundskeeper and discovered he had polished the family headstone indicating we share descent from Archibald (ic Findley ic Archibald ic Donald) and very clearly on the headstone it indicated he was "from Knoydart" just to remove any confusion, I guess.

What has me curious as to this Ian Roy string, is that Arch's brother is john roy and his son is john roy and a number of his descendants keep the roy, as well, for middle names for a few generations

Of course this doesn't mean Clan Ian Roy, but certainly starts to look like it might.  If this lineage looks familiar to any documented lineages mentioned here or other, I'd love to hear about it. 

Great work by all involved in this string, really enjoyed the passionate debate and loved the scottish headstone with "Clan Ian Ruadh" chiseled in it... a real debate jaw-dropper, rarely get that kind of validation from this time period.

Thanks for all your efforts!

Offline Peter MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 07 June 20 17:19 BST (UK) »
Just an update on my/our research into clan Ian Ruadh of Knoydart as paper trails and Y DNA seems to support each other. 

I started using genetics in 2010 to assist with my MacDonald paternal ancestry. Up until this point I had my line traced back to my 5x Great Grandfather Martin MacDonald who was born in 1755 and passed away in 1836 in Knoydart, Nova Scotia (the area he settled in 1785, which he is attributed to naming after where he emigrated from in Scotland). The results of my first Y DNA test indicated that my paternal line was not of the Clan Donald Chiefly lines and I would have to search elsewhere for the origins of direct paternal line. Overlapping with the timeframe which I received my results I became aware of Martin MacDonald (1755-1836) being included in genealogical charts from the Glengarry, Ontario area of Canada. Further to the knowledge of these charts it was also discovered that Martin’s son John MacDonald died in the Glengarry, Ontario area in 1858 where his death was recorded by the St Columbian Roman Catholic Church and also by a priest (Father John MacDonald) who kept genealogical records of Scottish emigrants. In Father John’s diary, the death of John MacDonald records him as coming from Nova Scotia and being the son of Martin, son of Donald, son of John, son of Angus.  Heading back to the genealogical charts …. Although the charts listed the names of ancestors, genealogists (both professional and amateur) where unable to answer basic questions pertaining to Clan Iain Ruadh, such as an overall history of the Clan, timeline or geographic origins. One major issue with the charts showed the Clan Chiefs to be of the Haplogroup R1A, where I was R1B. After playing around with this idea of descending from Clan Iain Ruadh, I eventually wrote off my Family’s inclusion onto these charts. I believed at the time Martin MacDonald’s mentioned as a
mistake and/or possibly fabricated and continued my searching for my paternal ancestry elsewhere, even though I did have paternal Y DNA matches from the Glengarry area of Canada (with genealogies not showing a linkage to my paternal line).

My belief of not belonging to Clan Iain Ruadh was put to rest in February 2017 when I received an email from Garry MacDonell Garry had a Y DNA match with me and upon further testing we were able to determine we were both positive for the SNP BY154, which indicated a fairly recent (in genealogical terms) common paternal ancestor. Garry and I had not shared any type of research, however both of our Families had traditions of descending from Clan Iain Ruadh. Any remote disbelieve of descending from Clan Iain Ruadh melted away upon receiving a gravestone picture from Garry of the Auchterawe Roman Catholic burial ground in Inverness, Scotland. The gravestone belongs to Garry’s 3x Great Grandfather John MacDonell, on the gravestone (which was erected by John MacDonell’s son Captain Ewen Macdonell) “..John MacDonell of Clan Iain Ruadh..”. This connection was the motivation I needed to keep my research going.

My research had another two breaks with two testers from the Glengarry, Ontario area who had family traditions and paper trails of paternal descent from Clan Ian Ruadh. Both testers have matched closely to myself and other persons who are BY154+ and have genealogies that actually appear to fit into the older genealogical charts from the Glengayy, Ontario area I previously mentioned. One of these tester's ancestors (a father and son) where Loyalists who petitioned for Land in the Glengarry area. In their petitions, the son Duncan McDonell states that he was “from Glen Morrison, Late of Tryon County, N.Y. Province…came to Canada in 1780”.  The father, John McDonell states at the time of the petition he was from “…Lot 17, Cornwall Township, N. Johnson, Late of
Tryon County, N. York Province…”

This is an area for further research, perhaps the family when in Scotland relocated from Knoydart to Glenmoriston, however it is most likely that the was originally from Glenmoriston. Important to note that there is a Clan Iain Ruadh MacDonald Sept that originated in Glenmoriston.

While I have had the opportunity to connect with my MacDonald kin and have been forming a picture of to whom and how we are related to one another through a combination of traditional paper trails and advanced Y DNA testing, there is still much more research to be done.

Offline kfrye173

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 07 June 20 18:31 BST (UK) »
That's Great news Peter, Congrat's, We will have some additional DNA results in the next couple months as my 3rd cousin Steve MacDonell, who also descends from the Knoydart MacDonell lineage from my prior post, has sent in his DNA to FTDNA for a 111 marker Y test.  It will be included in several of the FTDNA Surname projects.  McD, Scotland McD and Scottish Y DNA Surname projects.  Please do join the MCD surname project on FTDNA if you haven't already, it's one of the largest projects and very robust. 

Offline Peter MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 07 June 20 21:39 BST (UK) »
Is your cousin Steve MacDonell a direct paternal descendant from Archibald Roy MacDonell 1751-1843 Char 9C4N (married Ann MacDonell 1768 -1855)?  Alex W Fraser's notes show Archibald Roy MacDonell (1751-1843) as the son of Finlay MacDonell, however doesn't show any further ancestry on Finlay.  I will have a look on other charts, as I recall reading the "banker" in relation to genealogies from the Glengarry, Ontario area.

Offline kfrye173

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 07 June 20 22:09 BST (UK) »
Yes, from said arch roy to john roy to ranald rory... the latter two were from Ken C3 N13 and Steve's father grew up there. 

Arch's lineage going back is arch ic findley ic arch ic donald.  Of the lineages that seem to exist from knoydart, I haven't found a known good match for it, thus the Y DNA. 

The Bankers come from a different s/o Arch's  - alexander arch roy, his son alex "sandy" roy was the banker.