Author Topic: clan ian ruadh of knoydart  (Read 20981 times)

Offline tyrltyrl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
clan ian ruadh of knoydart
« on: Saturday 30 January 10 08:34 GMT (UK) »
hello, does anyone know anything about the clan ian ruadh of knoydart... thankyou
macca

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
Re: clan ian ruadh of knoydart
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 January 10 09:20 GMT (UK) »
You mean like this?  "Father John Macdonald of Alexandria, Ontario who was born in 1782 and died in 1879, compiled a genealogical tree of the Clan Ian Ruadh of Knoydart, a branch of the Macdonalds of the Loup, and he left also some genealogical details of descendants of Sliochd Ailein VcAilein, who came to Alexandria. Martin McEane VcRorie and his brother, Donald, were of the Clan Ian Ruadh, and these names appear in the list which I have given for the year 1628."

Please see http://www.moidart.org.uk/datasets/macdonaldsofkeppoch.htm

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline tyrltyrl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 January 10 22:04 GMT (UK) »
thanks, yes that is about as far as i have got, i believe ian ruadh was john roe macdonnell but have no proof.
macca

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Glengarry County
(Book: Highland Heritage - Vol. 2)
http://www.glengarrycounty.com/TitlesLoan.html

Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Peter MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 September 11 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Macca,

Just wondering if you have had any luck with your research on Clan Ian Ruadh of Knoydart?  I am attempting to verify the exact origin of my 5G Grandfather Martin MacDonald of Knoydart.  He arrived in Nova Scotia ca 1784-86 and received land on the Pictou/Antigonish County line.  Supposedly he was the person who named the area in Nova Scotia, Knoydart.  He had a brother John who came to Nova Scotia for a short time before leaving for Glengarry, Ontario.

There are a few variations from different sources as to possible lines of Martin's origin, none of which I have been able to verify to date.  Any information on Clan Ian Ruadh of Knoydart would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Peter

Offline kphammond9

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 23:57 BST (UK) »
Wondering if you have found any information on your Martin MacDonald. I also have a connection to him via his daughter Flora (b. abt 1785). I saw information from another forum that suggested Martin was the son of Donald, son of John, son of Angus (source: History of Antigonish, Volumes 1 and 2 - via Steve Farrell). But I think Peter was a part of that conversation to begin with. :-)

Offline TALLON

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 August 12 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hello,

The Clan is John Roy MacDonald from Knoydart and he is my 3rd Great Grand Uncle.
The Father John MacDonald of Alexandria (Paster of St. Raphael's) was my 1st Cousin and the son of John Roy above.

Tal MacDonald

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 August 12 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Tal,

I know that Peter MacDonald (who posted a few ahead of you in this thread) is very interested in this topic, but his occupation takes him away from situations where he can research for months at a time.

I sent him an e-mail about your post when I saw it a few days ago, so hopefully he'll check in when he can.

Cheers,
MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline Peter MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 September 12 05:08 BST (UK) »
Wondering if you have found any information on your Martin MacDonald. I also have a connection to him via his daughter Flora (b. abt 1785). I saw information from another forum that suggested Martin was the son of Donald, son of John, son of Angus (source: History of Antigonish, Volumes 1 and 2 - via Steve Farrell). But I think Peter was a part of that conversation to begin with. :-)

Hello kphammond9,

Sorry for the late reply to your post.  I sent you my email address in a PM to your account with my email address to share my work on Martin MacDonald's Descendants.

The reference that you referred to with regard to Martin MacDonald's ancestors came from the book "Dairy of Deaths" notes of Rev John MacDonald transcribed by Father Ewen MacDonald and edited by various genealogists (namely Duncan "Darby" MacDonald and Alexander Fraser).

Father John's notes made reference to a John MacDonald who died in Cornwall, Ontario on 9 May 1858 lists John as the s/o Martin s/o Donald s/o John s/o Angus and also listed him as age 76, putting his DOB at 1782.  This DOB is the same as the date of Martin's son John's DOB as listed in Martin's 1810 Land Petition.  Although John was named in the 1810 petition, he did not receive any of the Land Grant issues in 1812.  These two events appear to indicate that Martin MacDonald had two sons named John.  One John (the eldest) who moved to Ontario prior to the 1812 Land Grant and the other who was much younger (who married Catherine Robinson).

This said I have been yet unable to find any record of Martin's brother John who moved to Glengarry, Ontario after spending a short period of time at Maryvale, Nova Scotia.

As for the Clan Ian Ruadh of Knoydart, I have corresponded with a number of individuals regarding this Sept and nobody can indicate anything pertaining to the Clan's history, traditions or geographical location.  The only thing that people point to is an unsourced genealogical line that has been created by an unknown individual(s).  The charts (in there various forms) indicate that Ian Ruadh descended from Alexander Mor, son of Donald (grandson of Somerled).

This said, in "A Diary of Deaths" edited by Duncan "Darby" MacDonald he detailed how Father John kept notes of individual families on small pieces of paper (occasionally showing a connection between two families).  None of these isolated pieces of paper were combined to make a chart by Father John especially not the Clan Ian Ruadh Genealogical chart.  The charts that exist appear to have been put together by matching names and making assumptions.  I would recommend to all to look at these charts with a critical eye and verify that your family connection to charts through other sources/resources.

My 5G Grandfather Martin MacDonald is on a few charts that show him as having a direct line to Somerled via Alexander Mor.  There is however no proof to verify that this line is indeed correct, therefore I am still searching all possible lines for Martin MacDonald (including Clan Ian Ruadh of Knoydart).  Unfortunately I have not been able to determine with any level of certainty (using a wide array of methods) who the ancestors (or even father) of Martin MacDonald were/was.

If anyone has any information they would like to add with regard to Clan Ian Ruadh of Knoydart please feel free to share. 

As well, if anyone as any insights, comments or opinions, please share as I'm sure myself and a number of other individuals would like to hear.

Best Regards,

Peter MacDonald