Author Topic: Bodlondeb, Trefriw  (Read 21884 times)

Offline FlowerBD20

• I am sorry but I have turned off email notifications
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bodlondeb, Trefriw
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 February 10 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi reddkite, nice to meet another cousin! I have researched quite a lot if you want any more details though there are also a lot of gaps! Have you managed to get back before John Evans and Mary Williams? I notice on the 1841 she's born out of county?

Offline reddkite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 February 10 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Flower,
I think you probably have a lot of info that would interest me, whereas I have relatively little - I started researching only about 2 months ago and it was only a couple of days ago I found out that Mary was an Evans. I went to visit my parents on Saturday and got Dad to open a case of old family papers - and out popped John and Mary's marriage certificate. The date was April 30th 1857 at St. David's Church, Liverpool. John's address was Darby St. and Mary's was Derby St. Their father's names  were Richard Wlliams, Quarry man and John Evans, Quarry man. John's occupation was miner.  Witnesses were Edward Evans and Margaret Evans. Maybe you can shed light on why they were in Liverpool; it looks to me as if Mary's sister Hannah married John Jones and lived  in Liverpool.

My Dad thinks his parents kept in touch slightly with a Liverpool branch of the family and I'm wondering if this is it.

I'm interested in what you say about Richard the joiner, because I didn't know anything about him, but wonder if he is the Uncle Richard that John Richard stayed with at first when he emigrated to Chicago in 1909. I'm rather lacking other candidates.

To fill you in on the lower level a bit, Mary Ellen married Joseph Loxton from South Wales. He was an electrician. It didn't work out and when he lost his job he disappeared back to South Wales. Mary Ellen continued to live in y Wern until her death somewhere around 1950. No children.
John Richard married Nora Bunce from the Bristol area. He came back to Europe with the U.S. forces in WW1. He worked in accounts for a/the Chicago gas company. He returned to Trefriw at least a couple of times. Dad remembers meeting him there in the '50s. He had a daughter Gwen who married three times but had no children.
Albert left Trefriw to join the army and after the war taught in Fulham. He married Ruby Alice Beard whose father was a grocer in Fulham, but originated from Longhope, Forest of Dean.  My father was an only child. Albert would have loved to have gone back to Trefriw in retirement, but Ruby wouldn't go. Instead he ended up selling the Wern to Ruby's sister Marjerie and husband Frank White. They lived there until about 1980 I guess.  We spent a family holiday with them there in 1965.

Going up to Richard Evans who married Mary Williams: he was the son of Richard Evans of Clawdd Gwyn, Llanrhychwyn, who in turn was the son of Richard Evans of Highgate, Melin y coed, Llanrwst, b1767 but found in the 1841 census.  Richard of Clawdd Gwyn married Ellinor Evans, daughter of (wait for it)  Richard Evans of Tai uchaf, Llanrhychwyn, b1760 but still around in the 1851 census.
Reminds me of the Monty Pyton sketch where everyone is called Bruce.
Also, Ellinor had a number of siblings and of the 4 where I know who they married, 3 married an Ann and 3 married a Jones.
I have found the Wills of Richard of Tai uchaf and his son Evan, but I'm struggling with the Welsh, -rather unfortunate as most of the other wills seem to be in English.
I have the marriage certificate of Richard and Ellinor.
Otherwise I have just been working from the censuses so far.
I have made contact via Ancestry.co.uk with a descendant of Ellinor's brother Pierce.  Pierce had a grandson Pierce Evans (butcher) who my grandfather Albert was good friends with.

My great grandfather Richard Evans ran a building business. He extended the Wern around the turn of the century and also owned the field opposite in the bottom corner of which he built a pair of cotages one of which was for a couple Dad knew as Uncle Edward and Aunt Jennie.  These are unusual names at that time so I think I have identified them as Williams.  Jennie was a Williams before marrying and links back to the Williams clan of Tai isaf, Llanrhychwyn, as John does.

I hope you have found some of this interesting.

Evans and Williams - Trefriw area
Wilmot - Kelshall and Therfield
Catchpole - Lowestoft

Offline FlowerBD20

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi reddkite,
   Thanks for the fascinating details. I've printed them off to study more closely but there are some things I can confirm. Yes Richard did end up in Chicago as I've found him, Elizabeth G and the children on the US census of 1900,1910 and 1920. Frederick Grenville, their oldest popped up on ancestry when I put him in the tree (Foster, Spence, Pedersen if you want to take a look... but there are gaps and errors!) on the US draft registration for both WW1 and 2.
   The second thing I can confirm is the Liverpool link. My parents were born on the Wirral and they kept in touch with a lot of family in both Liverpool and Cheshire. Mum was descended from Catherine Evans who married Edward Edwards in Liverpool and they stayed there, bringing up an lot of Edwards!! I didn't know about Hannah being in Liverpool and it is interesting that both Edward and Margaret were witnesses as this means Margaret was still unmarried at that date. (She later marries a John Williams!!!) There was no sign on the census of any contact between Catherine and the rest of her family until two nephews came to stay as adults which is what confirmed the link for me that this was indeed the correct Catherine Evans. Would you like the Evans (children of John and Mary) baptism details?
   Will give details as you ask for them so as not to overdo it and not to repeat things you already know. That's all for now, thanks again, I appreciate the information,
Best wishes, Flower.

Offline FlowerBD20

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 21 February 10 15:26 GMT (UK) »

Update on the Evans family. If reddkite would like to get in touch again, I've traced Hannah Evans and her family to Dolgellau and can give details from the census.

Offline DdraigGoch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile

Offline FlowerBD20

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 12 March 10 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Dear Haydn, thankyou, that was interesting! Flower

Offline FlowerBD20

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 29 August 10 16:26 BST (UK) »
Update to all this. I have now been toTrefriw, walked around and seen the outside of Bodlondeb! Lovely place. Have also found a reference to David Evans, stonecutter, of Bodlondeb, one of the trustees of the cemetery and a loan for £600 for the land used for the cemetery, dated 1881. So ironic when I can't find his parents gravestone! Would anyone have any references to the setting up of the cemetery?
Have also found members of this family living at Y Wern or Wern Cottage and Bryn Crafnant and Bryn Dyffryn, all in Trefriw. Does anyone know where they are/were?

Offline pw1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bodlondeb, Trefriw revisited
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 14:01 BST (UK) »
I know this is 2 years old but am new to Rootschat.  I also am a relative of John Evans - my 3rd great grandfather.  My link is with his daughter Hannah who lived for while in Liverpool when first married and then moved to Dolgelly.  My great grandmother, her daughter Jane, stayed in Liverpool moving to live on the Wirral and giving birth to my grandad her only child in 1896.  Her husband was lost at sea in 1899.

Would love any more info about John Evans or Mary Williams particularly any early history of birth etc.  I intend to visit Trefriw soon and see the house.

Thanks PW1

Offline FlowerBD20

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi ther PW1! That's fantastic, another cousin, and the same generation as me. John is my 3x g-grandfather too, and also reddkite's. I will dig out my notes on Hannah and let you know. I went to Dolgellau...love it.. and took photos and searched the graveyard. I have also researched some census material. I can't just remember off the top of my head but I wrote it all down! All the best, Marian