Author Topic: Bodlondeb, Trefriw  (Read 21934 times)

Offline pw1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bodlondeb, Trefriw
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 15:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for repying so soon.  Can't wait to hear any info on family.  I went to Dolgelly and also loved it.  The Jones family lived by the church and I found their house.  Wish I could go back and meet them all.

Pauline

Offline FlowerBD20

• I am sorry but I have turned off email notifications
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline, me too! Isn't it weird how we feel that? They probably wouldn't have got on with me at all!!! Anyway, having found my file, here is what I know for sure. There is more but it's guess work so I won't give you that! Starting as far back as I can verify by census and/or birth /baptism/burial records this is what I have;

John Evans born c 1806 Trefriw,Caernarvonshire, died 1865 Bodlondeb, buried 23 Feb 1865 St Mary Trefriw
Mary Williams his wife born out of county c1807, burial 31 Aug 1842 St Mary Trefriw
I can't prove the marriage.
This couple had the following children;

Edward Evans born 29 Apr 1827 Llanrwst
Catherine Evans (my 2x g-grandmother) born 10 Mar 1829 Llanrwst, baptised Tabernacle Llanrwst 15 Mar 1829
Mary born 20 Jan 1831 Llanrwst baptised Tabernacle Llanrwst 24 Jan 1831 (more later)

Offline FlowerBD20

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 16:57 BST (UK) »
The story continued;
Edward Evans born 3 Jan 1833, Trefriw, baptised 18 Jan 1833 Tabernacle Llanrwst
Margret Evans born 8 Jan 1835 Trefriw, baptised 11 Jan 1835 Tabernacle Llanrwst
Hannah Evans born 30 Aug 1836 Trefriw,
David Evans born 1840 Trefriw, occupation stonecutter
Phoebe Evans b 1843 Trefriw

That's enough for now. Will update you another time on the marriages of these children. All the best, Marian

Offline pw1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 12 April 12 08:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks again.  Will add all this to my research.  Did you know that Hannah's husband, John, was killed in an accident at the Glasdir mine in December 1881 when he was caught up in an ore washing machine that he was repairing.  He was a joiner. So she was a widow for 30 years. Am still trying to find out more about this and whether she wouild be paid any compensation as she lived in a big house after this.  Think a visit to the archives is necessary.

I see you mention Bunbury in your list of towns.  We live 4 miles form Bunbury.

Looking forward to more news Pauline

Offline FlowerBD20

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 12 April 12 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi again, knew that John was a joiner but not how he died. How afwul. I took photos of Llanyfwnwent (I might have got the name wrong!) in Dolgellau but didn't believe they could really have lived there as it looked very posh for a joiner! Also didn't know the bit about the mariner died at sea you mentioned earlier. Meant to say before, did you know John Evans was a quarryman/slatemaker?
It's a small world! The Bunbury line is questionable as I have a Samuel Foster born in Whiston Lancashire (for sure) who may (and only may, I can't prove this) be the son of a William Foster (matches Samuel's marriage cert) born Bunbury/Calvely Ches (on census as Bombay!!) I found a William Foster born there whose father was Samuel so I'm keeping it on the back burner until I can make a positive link. Would you know of a place near there which could be misheard in Lancashire as Worcester City? This also appears on a census return. All the best, Marian

Offline pw1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 12 April 12 15:46 BST (UK) »
The only place I can think of is Wistaston or Worleston.  Both close to Nantwich.

The mariner was my great grandfather, Thomas Beard who married Hannah's daughter Jane.  He was an engineer on board the Merrimac which went down with all hands lost off the coast of Canada. Very sad as my grandfather, Albert was only 3 years old.  Jane never got over her loss and never married again.

Do you think John Evans married Mary Williams 10th November 1826 in Llanrhchwyn - this place is very close to Trefriw and the time is right, although Mary would have been pregnant at the time!

Regards Pauline

Offline FlowerBD20

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 12 April 12 18:40 BST (UK) »
Oh that sounds about right. Where did you find that marriage? It wouldn't surprise me if she was expecting....there's a lot of that in my tree!! There's also a possible marriage of a Mary William to John Evans, Denbigh BTs 6 Oct 1827, well after Edward's date of birth so I'm not sure. I have no proof either way. To be honest Llanrhychwyn is more likely. Best wishes, Marian

Offline pw1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 13 April 12 10:05 BST (UK) »
Found the marriage on Family Search records and I think it may be the right one.  A visit to the church records would give the name of the parents but it is unlikely this church holds any records as it is so small.

Have sent off for their death certifcates- always find them interesting.

Pauline

Offline FlowerBD20

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 13 April 12 12:14 BST (UK) »
I will have a look at FreeReg. Sometimes at this date there are no parents named. M