Author Topic: Bodlondeb, Trefriw  (Read 21915 times)

Offline DdraigGoch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bodlondeb, Trefriw
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 29 April 12 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Marian

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I have had a look at the nearby cemetery info that I have but have turned up nothing I am afraid. My best guess is they are buried at St Mary Church, but 1. They never had a headstone or 2. The headstone has weathered away or been destroyed.

Sorry

Haydn

Offline FlowerBD20

• I am sorry but I have turned off email notifications
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 29 April 12 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Haydn, thanks for looking, yes I think that must be the answer. Never mind, we have lots of bits of information about them and even a possible marriage turned up at Llanrhychwyn by PW1 which I didn't see before. Thanks again, Marian

Offline reddkite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 03 September 12 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Marian, Pauline,

Back at last!   I've recently visited Trefriw and have some interesting finds.
Firstly, I found the MI for Mary in the churchyard. I think someone must have been doing some tidying up recently - it was on top of a collapsed mausoleum-style memorial not far from the path on the lefhand side.  It is next to one of a similar style for William and Catherine Evans, and if my theories are correct, William is a brother of John (more of that later).  The inscription looks as if it was on the end rather than the top.

I've also looked out some family photos and have one of John Williams and Mary Evans which has scanned quite well from a glass plate. By the look of the pose it dates from their marriage (1857 if I remember right).
If you would like to let me know your email addresses at (*), I will send you some photos.

Regards

Martin

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Evans and Williams - Trefriw area
Wilmot - Kelshall and Therfield
Catchpole - Lowestoft

Offline FlowerBD20

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 09 September 12 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin, Have sent you a PM. Well done on the research, and what's this theory about the brother of John Evans? Am absolutely delighted that there was an MI after all, it seemed so ironic that a slate cutter would not have at least a headstone!

Offline trefriw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 17 September 12 07:12 BST (UK) »
Trefriw WI recorded the inscriptions on all the graves in Trefriw churchyard, Llanrwchwyn, Ardda and (I think) the cemetery in the 1980s. The results were sent to the county achives, but there is a copy in the church.

Regards
Fran
Taylor: Whitley/Thornhill,Yorkshire
Bean: Helpston,Northamptonshire/Yorkshire
Denton: Thornhill/Thornhill Lees,Yorkshire
Grason: Thornhill/Thornhill Lees,Yorkshire
Hill: Ufford,Northamptonshire/Yorkshire
Kaye: Lepton/Whitley,Yorkshire
Sykes: Lepton, Yorkshire

Offline FlowerBD20

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 17 September 12 10:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Fran, I had bought the local family history society transcription but Mary and John Evans did not appear, although they were in the burial register for St Mary. Reddkite has now sent me a photo of Mary's MI as the graveyard seems to have been cleared and it is now visible. The information on it is very clear and says she is the wife of John, of Bodlondeb. Burial 1842. This matches the burial register. Are you another cousin? M

Offline griffib

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 17:25 BST (UK) »
I know it's a long time since the last post but I am hoping someone will respond.  I am decendant from the Evans line and my family lived in Bodaelog, Trefriw (next to what seems to have been Bodlondeb).  I thought Bodaelog had been called Bodlondeb previously?

B

Offline PopNorth22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 24 September 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
Update to all this. I have now been toTrefriw, walked around and seen the outside of Bodlondeb! Lovely place. Have also found a reference to David Evans, stonecutter, of Bodlondeb, one of the trustees of the cemetery and a loan for £600 for the land used for the cemetery, dated 1881. So ironic when I can't find his parents gravestone! Would anyone have any references to the setting up of the cemetery?
Have also found members of this family living at Y Wern or Wern Cottage and Bryn Crafnant and Bryn Dyffryn, all in Trefriw. Does anyone know where they are/were?
I know this post is really old now, but burials started in the cemetery in 1880.  I have the information about all the burials there up till 2015  - I used to be the Clerk, now retired.  It's likely your David Evans was buried in Trefriw churchyard which was in use up to about 1900, as I only have two David Evans and a David William recorded in the cemetery.
Blyth, Burman, Cullen, Darnton, Groom, Hannah, Haynes, Little, Mort, Potts, Ramsay, Russell, Warnes,

Offline Alison Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 20 May 21 08:14 BST (UK) »
i know this post is old but I too am related to John Evans and Mary Williams. John is my 2x gt grandfather and his daughter Phoebe is my Gt grand mother.
the family lived in Trefriw and only moved in about 1921 when my grand father (Griffith Price) was killed