Author Topic: McGLASHON  (Read 7358 times)

Offline STC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McGLASHON
« on: Saturday 30 January 10 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Interested in contacting descendants of David McGLASHON and Ann McINTOSH who apparently married at Nairn on 4 August 1768. I am descended from their son William (b1772) who migrated to England and ended up in the East End of London.

Anybody out there?

Offline Primelens

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: McGLASHON
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 September 10 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm Chris McGlashon,

Son of Allan and grandson of Alexander.  I have a very rough looking family tree, which I would be glad to send you.  I've tried to attach it here but will not work.  Can I e-mail it to you.  It is a word document.  I would be glad to send you any information, that I have

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 April 13 10:02 BST (UK) »
Just spotted this thread. I am very interested in this line, in particular David and Annie's son James. He was a soldier in the Inverness militia and he was the father of Alexander McGlashon, an Edinburgh photographer. I have been struggling to find much information on James's life and have never traced his death, so if anyone has any information it would be much appreciated. My wife is a descendant of this line. Alex. 
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline Kapitaga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 June 14 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi sonofthom (Alex)!

I am a volunteer at the National Museum of Scotland, currently researching photographs supposedly taken by Alexander McGlashon.
I am particularly interested to find out whether your wife or any other member of her family know whether Alexander moved/ travelled to Australia in the late 1850s? A few photographs taken in Melbourne have been attributed to him, but I am having some difficulties verifying it. I really hope you can help!
- K.

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 June 14 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have been researching his life and photographs and I have recently managed to establish with reasonable certainty that he did indeed visit Australia. I am happy to share this research with the museum; as it is a bit complicated this would be best done by private message but I think you need several posts before using this system so perhaps you could reply with a bit more info on your research. He produced stereos, carte de visite, portraits and some general photos; are you.looking at all of these areas? We have a collection of his stereos plus copies of various other photos. Alex.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline Kapitaga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 June 14 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex!

thank you for your reply. This is great news!

I am currently researching a large photography collection that was donated to the museum some years ago. The collection contains of thousands of images (in various media) by different photographers, including what I believe are 4 stereos by McGlashon.

The four stereos in question were taken of Collins St. in Melbourne, Australia ca. 1857. Sadly, the cards are not stamped, so there is nothing to confirm they are in fact McGlashon's. The only reason why I think this may be the case is because of a stereo I found in William Darrah's book 'The World of Stereographs' (which closely resembles one of the stereos in our collection).
The Library of New South Wales claims to have two McGlashon stereos in their collection. Those have not been digitised, but I have contacted them to ask for more information (still waiting to hear back).
Other than that I have not been able to find any other images by McGlashon in Australia.

I also found a brief text (written by you?) on EdinPhoto website, but sadly have not come across anything else. Any information regarding McGlashon in Australia (and why he decided to go there in the first place?) would be much appreciated!
P.S. Did you manage to see the stereos in Eastman Museum? Are those of Melbourne?

Please do not hesitate to contact me by e-mail to avoid cluttering this thread.

Thanks again for getting in touch!
k.kook(at)nms.ac.uk

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 08:06 BST (UK) »
I have sent you an email. Alex

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 19:02 BST (UK) »
Oops I have discovered that I am having problems sending emails. I have tried again through a different route but please let me know through this forum if you do not receive anything. ALEX.