Author Topic: Collins family of Longfield, Desertmartin  (Read 16142 times)

Offline KIWI Susan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Collins family of Longfield, Desertmartin
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 05 March 11 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a birth date for John Collins (James Collins/Sarah Ann)
There is little information on death and marriage certs here.   We have had to piece together things from old family stories and guess work.   The German side of the family is very precise.    We didn't even have Christian names  for some.

Our family wins a prize for the slow turnover of generations.....     Thanks again for all your help   Susan

Offline Dave MacLurg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 21:05 GMT (UK) »
I attach some images of interest. from a family bible. They show the brith dates of William (my great grandfather) who married Mary Collins, Sara Ann (your great grandmother), Elizabeth and Mary. These are the children of Alexander and Elizabeth McClorg.
An interesting footnote. You see Mary was scored out and written in again. She eloped with a farmhand and was persued by her father who caught up with them at the quay in Derry City. A fight ensued and Alexander lost and eye or at least damaged it. The Cork Examiner has an article describing a retailiatory attack by the farmhand's relatives who invaded the house at Templemoyle and attackes Alexander and his som William. We speculate (no evidence available) that Mary was scored out when she eloped but written back in by her mother later.
You can see photographs of William mcClorg and mary Collind on my web site at http://www.maclurg.com/Genealogy/index.htm

Offline Dave MacLurg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Susan,

Send me your email so I can send you a family tree from my computer showing all I know of the Collins descendants. My email address is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Dave MacLurg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 21:58 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 Census  ties in some data and clarifies some.

Aghadowey mentioned that the 1901 census had a Stewart Collins visiting a John Hassan. Also the 1901 census had John Collins and wife Agnes living at Longfield

I had a sister of Stewart and John married to Alexander H Mussen.

What the 1911 census shows is the family of John Collins and Agnes. Their oldest daughter is named Martha Mussen Collins so these all show a close relationship between the Mussens and the Collins as well as tying together the information about John and Stewart and Agnes. The 1911 census shows Agnes' parents living with them and this shows he maiden name to be Smyth.

Regards
Dave

Offline Richardson1984

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 29 July 11 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I have found a couple of items of interest.
A Jane Collins married James Lamb in Lecumpher Presbyterian Church on I Jun 1855

Thanks for providing me my great-great grandparents marriage date and location. I live just a few miles from Desertmartin and can provide information on the Lamb and other descended branches of the Collins family

Offline Richardson1984

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 01 August 11 12:41 BST (UK) »
Susan, From my family tree:-
John Collins married Mary Witherow who was born in 1801 in Dungiven, Co. Londonderry

They had 5 children
John Collins m Sara Moreland and died in Ballymena
Stuart Collins m(1) Martha Crossit m(2) Mary Anne Clark
James Collins m 1852 Sarah Ann McClorg b 1836 (your great grandparents)
Jane Collins b 1836 m 1861 Henry brown b1830
Mary Collins b1838 d1918 m1868 William McClorg b1832 d1920 (my great grandparents)

Jane and Henry Brown had 6 children; Tom, John, Joseph, Martha, Harry,Sam most seem to have gone to Toronto, Canada

Now this is where things get confusing for me and will be for you as well.

A Jane Collins married James Lamb in Lecumpher Presbyterian Church on I Jun 1855, and they had the following children:

- John Jamb m. Isa Smith
- Samuel Lamb
- Thomas Lamb
- James Lamb
- Annie Lamb
- Minnie Lamb
- Margaret Lamb
- Barbara Lamb m. Thomas McClelland
- Stewart Lamb b. 1865, d. 1930 (my great-grandfather)

This Jane Collins married James Lamb in 1855 and they had my great-grandfather in 1865, four years after your Jane Collins married Henry Brown. Surely they can't be the same person and have to be cousins.

What makes it more confusing is the fact that Stewart Lamb names one of his daughters (one of my grandmothers sisters) - Annie Witherow Lamb. As it was a common practice then to give a middle name to a child that was the maiden name of the mother, grandmother or other female relation, this could suggest that your Mary Witherow (mother of your Jane Collins) is Stewart Lamb's grandmother.

Whether that assumption is right or wrong, it does provide strong circumstantial evidence that my Jane Collins from Desertmartin is related to your Collins from Desertmartin. The problem is how they fit in together.

Offline Dave MacLurg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 05 August 11 18:02 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to find out more about Witherows and got this reply

--1821 census Auglish, Banagher [T808/15137]
--
--No 4
--Joseph Witherow, aged 60 farmer of 12 acres
--Mary, wife, 56
--James, 26
--George, 23
--Joseph, 15
--Mary, 20 * [could be your Mary who married John Collins?]
--Fanny, 13

from Gortinanima
on Witherow families, Aughlish, Gallony, Belfast and elsewhere

This Mary looks like she is mine. Maybe her younger sister Fanny also married a Collins.
Let me know if you find anything.

Offline George87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 21 October 13 01:13 BST (UK) »
The 1911 Census  ties in some data and clarifies some.

Aghadowey mentioned that the 1901 census had a Stewart Collins visiting a John Hassan. Also the 1901 census had John Collins and wife Agnes living at Longfield

I had a sister of Stewart and John married to Alexander H Mussen.

What the 1911 census shows is the family of John Collins and Agnes. Their oldest daughter is named Martha Mussen Collins so these all show a close relationship between the Mussens and the Collins as well as tying together the information about John and Stewart and Agnes. The 1911 census shows Agnes' parents living with them and this shows he maiden name to be Smyth.

Regards
Dave

Hi Dave,

I have Martha W. Collins marrying Alexander Mussen 20 Aug 1899 Largy P, Limavady. She must have died soon after as Alexander is found remarrying in the US in 1902. Do you have any records of her death or any other Mussen family information.
Thank you!  G.

Offline Dave MacLurg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 15:15 BST (UK) »
George,
My information about the Collins connection is sadly lacking. I do not have the information for which your are looking. All the best.
Dave