Author Topic: Collins family of Longfield, Desertmartin  (Read 16156 times)

Offline KiwiFrances

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Collins family of Longfield, Desertmartin
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 25 November 17 03:17 GMT (UK) »
I am looking to clarify some of my family tree.
My Dad was Alexander John Collins 1919-2003, son of John Collins 1867-1941 and his grandfather was James Collins, who died in Nelson New Zealand in 1913. I know James came to NZ and that his sons John and Alexander followed him when they were about 17(why we don't know?). John stayed in NZ and married Ella Annie Pahl and had a family Pearl, Ivor, Sadie, Nancy, Alexander (my Dad) and Patricia.  His Dad John died in 1941 , just before my Dad was sent overseas.
His uncle Alexander returned to Great Britain,married and lived just out of London. My Dad was in RNZAF and also RAF, stationed in UK and went to see his uncle's daughter and family while there. Unfortunately ,my Dad could not remember names but did know his uncle was a milliner and maybe in the rag trade. I don't think Alexander was still alive when Dad saw family. 
My Dad returned to NZ and married my Mum, Ethel Wallace, who came from Scotland as a war bride.
Dad and I finally tracked down a copy of James and Sarah Ann McClorg's wedding certificate, but I have been unable to find if she died prior to him coming to NZ or if she came with him/he left her behind? I am just waiting on a copy of James's death certificate, to see if he was a widower or not when he died. I have visited his grave at Wakapuaka Cemetery Nelson, where a number of my extended family are buried(my grandmother's family came into Nelson in 1842 and her husbands family came in 1843) It was one of the pioneer cemeteries in Nelson NZ.
I would just like to know what happened to Sarah Ann, as I have managed to trace a great deal of history back from her father.
Can any one help please?  Frances

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 26 November 17 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Dad and I finally tracked down a copy of James and Sarah Ann McClorg's wedding certificate, but I have been unable to find if she died prior to him coming to NZ or if she came with him/he left her behind? I am just waiting on a copy of James's death certificate, to see if he was a widower or not when he died. ...
I would just like to know what happened to Sarah Ann, as I have managed to trace a great deal of history back from her father.
Can any one help please?

Reply #16- The 1901 Census has Sara Anne Collins (no mention of James, her husband).  living in the household of Blanche May Collins. Blanche was the wife of Alexander James Collins (your grandfather's brother) The 1911 census has Alexander at home (he was a commercial traveller in woolens) but there is no mention of Sara Ann who had, presumably, died.

She's actually Sarah Anne Collins in 1901 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Clifton_Ward__Belfast/Old_Park__part_of_/978074
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000344038/

Sarah died 29 Mar.1906-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1906/05573/4565043.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KiwiFrances

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 26 November 17 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, I just wished Dad had lived long enough to know I finally solved the mystery(or at least part of it!)  Frances

Offline Mabus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Susan, From my family tree:-
John Collins married Mary Witherow who was born in 1801 in Dungiven, Co. Londonderry

They had 5 children
John Collins m Sara Moreland and died in Ballymena
Stuart Collins m(1) Martha Crossit m(2) Mary Anne Clark
James Collins m 1852 Sarah Ann McClorg b 1836 (your great grandparents)
Jane Collins b 1836 m 1861 Henry brown b1830
Mary Collins b1838 d1918 m1868 William McClorg b1832 d1920 (my great grandparents)

I think you have the wrong Stuart Collins as the son of John Collins and Mary Witherow. The Stewart Collins who married Martha Crossett and then Mary Ann Clark was the son of John Collins and a Martha. He was born about 1840 going by his death record.

The Stuart Collins mentioned as being the son of John and Mary is different and had a daughter called Jane Collins born between 1840-1849 going by her death record. She married a James Lamb and when one of their sons, Stewart Lamb, had a child, they were named Annie Witherow Lamb with her middle name clearly referring to Stewart's great-grandmother. I would be tempted to say the two Stuart/Stewart Collins were the same but it is impossible considering the fact Jane daughter of Stuart Collins was born about the same decade as Stewart Collins.

I will throw the above all up into the air after looking at the death records of Stewart Collin's parents. John died in Longfield in 1881 aged 82. His wife Martha died in 1889 aged 86. Stewart was present at both deaths and Martha's record clearly states that she was the widow of Jn Collins and that Stewart was her son. This means that their estimated years of births would be more in line with John Collins and Mary Witherow rather than their son John Collins. This would lend credence to Stuart and Stewart being the same person, however Stewart's estimated year of birth and the estimated year of birth of Jane daughter of Stuart rules that out unless their is a very big error somewhere, which is possible.

Offline Mabus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 01 April 22 11:28 BST (UK) »
A newspaper obit for a James Collins in 1851, states he was the son of the late Stewart Collins of Desertmartin. As the other Stewart died in 1893 this would confirm they are not the same person.