Author Topic: CHANDLER Family from Devizes  (Read 21009 times)

Offline RPCW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chandler Family from Devizes
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 31 January 10 15:45 GMT (UK) »
many thanks.. I will contact them.. :)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 31 January 10 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi RPCW

I've got copies of the microfiche for Chirton parish records and it looks like your Thomas was the son of Thomas and Rebecca Chandler. Thomas the elder was also a maltster. The entry reads

Bap July 10th, Rec'd Oct 18th 1826 - Thomas son of Thomas & Rebeccas Chandler of Chirton, Maltster.

If you'd like me to see if there are siblings baptisms etc in the registers please do say

Regards

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline RPCW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 31 January 10 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Great, Thanks so much. Yes it seems they were all Maltsters. It seems a Danial Chandler leased the Church Mill in Chirton in 1798.

In 1848 Charles Chandler coverted the mill to steam.

Mary Octavia Married Robert Drew Wheeler and the Wheelers were Brewers, so I guess malt and brewing went together.

Can we trace Thomas back to Danial? I suppose Danial was his father? And Charles?...

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 31 January 10 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I'll have a look through and post back. If there's loads, I'll send you a PM  ;D
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 31 January 10 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Can we trace Thomas back to Danial? I suppose Danial was his father? And Charles?...

I was laying out the groundwork for this earlier, when you then said you (effectively) wanted to focus on Mary O   ::)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 31 January 10 17:05 GMT (UK) »
If you look at the FamilySearch site at the IGI, you'll find the Chirton records fairly thoroughly covered, although not the deaths of course. It does give Daniel as father of Thomas. Do you have access to the census records that Mort29 found for you, or do you need a transcription? It's a definite pity that Chirton is one of the places for which the 1841 census didn't survive ::)

Offline RPCW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 31 January 10 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Mort, thanks, you are quite right...

The circumstances of Mary Octavia's death are my main interest. Just picking up a bit more on her background along the way.

Because her son, my father, was only four when she died, I think a lot of information was rather shrouded in mystery.

Perhaps some Chandler descendants may have some passed on memories. Of course it was all very tragic....

Offline RPCW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 31 January 10 17:37 GMT (UK) »
:) AngelaR and Mort29.. I am not that good at accessing anything... seeems I have not started ascending the learning curve yet!  Any help or info gratefully received... :)

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 31 January 10 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Do you have access to the census records that Mort29 found for you, or do you need a transcription?

as i said at the time, quite happy to transcribe and flesh out.  :)