Author Topic: CHANDLER Family from Devizes  (Read 21057 times)

Offline RPCW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CHANDLER Family from Devizes
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I just wanted to post something to keep this thread alive in case anyone is interested. I have been able to see some interesting reports in the Bucks Free Press on Mary Octavia's Memorial Service. It seems her death was a great shock and she was very sadly missed in her parish of Hazlemere where she was known for many acts of kindness. I am hoping to learn more in due course.

Meanwhile I would like to learn more about her husband's great great grandmother. She was known as Mary Smith of Wandsworth and is reported in family notes to have married Henry Wheeler b. 8-5-1747. Marriage reputed to be in 1776. It is presumed they then lived in at St James' Market in London where Henry had been born.

Some later Wheelers regarded her progeny as something of a mystery and infact attached some rather romantic notions to it. That is why I am interested to know more, though this is not directly relevant to my ongoing interest in Mary Octavia. Any help gratefully received. Best wishes.

Offline maddcore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 28 February 11 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I just noticed that you have mentioned my GGrandfather and Mother, John and Elsie Victoria Lawrence, at the foot of your post.

Do you have any interets in them, or was this just a general note?

If you do, can you contact me on my e-mail address, (*)
Thanks

Moderator Comment: email address removed to help prevent spam and other abuses as per RootsChat Policy. Please use our secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

Offline longshop58

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 25 April 11 02:38 BST (UK) »
Hi. I read your entry on the Chandler family of Devizes with interest. I am descended from the same family. Robert John Chandler married Dorothy (Jessie) Mason and moved to Tasmania, Australia around 1908. They had 3 children, one of whom, Thomas Raymond was my grandfather. I was interested to hear about Mary Octavia. Did you find out more about how she drowned? I visited Devizes a few years ago and the painting of Robert John's father, Thomas, as Mayor of Devizes which was in the Town Hall, bore a striking resemblance to my brother.

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 10 November 12 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is the correct place for this?
Sarah Grace  1790  possibly Upavon who married William Grace of The Castle Hotel Devizes was ,we think,Sarah Chandler whose husband had died.Her maiden name was Maslen.
This information is from various wills.We know she died about 1851 and left money to her sister Louisa Elizabeth Maslen Perry 1822 and her niece Mary Sarah Sissons Perry 1848 who went on to marry a John Biggs Banks of Potterne.
We can't find where Sarah Maslen/Chandler/Grace was born.Also the age gap between the 'sisters' is very large.The suspicion is it may have been mother and daughter.
We believe that Sarah was baseborn and her mother was Elizabeth.
Does anyone have a possible link for this Sarah Chandler. What was her husband's christian name? ???
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Davies Islington & Aberystwyth
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth
Bohane , Killaderry Skibbereen ,Cork

Offline Meranerin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 28 December 13 18:41 GMT (UK) »
I live in Meran in South Tyrol and amFDNWKO researching the British visitors and residents in Meran when it was a famous spa in the late 19th and early 20th century. A number of these people are buried in the Evangelical cemetery here. One of them has the inscription "Mary Octavia Wheeler d. 19 July 1912". This must I think be the person you are investigating. Is it possible that she was ill and came on a cure. Meran was a famous health resort. People did however also come here just for holidays in the later period just before the First World War

Offline GPCS2017

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 17:06 GMT (UK) »
I came across this thread after googling "CHANDLER Brewer Devizes".  I am researching the surname CHANDLER in Wiltshire on behalf of the CHANDLER Family Association.  In my possession I have a freebee CD from about 2005 which contained an extract from a Trade Directory for Devizes for 1848 and one entry was for 'Chandler Thos & Son, Malster, Bath Road' - hence the surfing.  There were also entries for 'Chandler Jas, Beer retailer, The Brittox'; 'Chandler Hy, Tea dealer, The Brittox' and 'Chandler Wm Esq, The Green'.

DNA testing has shown there are at least 2 separate CHANDLERS families in north Wilts originating from the 14th century.  I am part of Family #27, details of which can be found at:

http://chandlerfamilyassociation.org/dna_group_27.html

If there are any direct male descendants with the CHANDLER surname that are interested in taking a DNA test to find out which family they come from then please contact the Association, via the link above.

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,I don't think any of my living family is related to Chandler. We think that a Richard Chandler could possibly be the first husband of Sarah possibly Maslen. In her will of around 1852 she leaves her money to Louisa Elizabeth Maslen Perry of Devizes and Hackney London. There is no mention of any children in her compressive will.
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Davies Islington & Aberystwyth
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth
Bohane , Killaderry Skibbereen ,Cork