Author Topic: glasgow children boarded out in tomintoul, tomnavoulin  (Read 7102 times)

Offline allymcguigan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
glasgow children boarded out in tomintoul, tomnavoulin
« on: Sunday 31 January 10 14:15 GMT (UK) »
hi
i am trying to find out more about the experience of the young people from glasgow who were "boarded out" in the Tomintoul and Tomnavoulin areas between 1898 and 1908. i would be particularly interested in finding out about the school in tombae at this period. are there any books on the area at this time or useful sources?
thanks

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
Re: glasgow children boarded out in tomintoul, tomnavoulin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Aberdeen City Archives hold some school records for that area, so it might be worth seeing if they have any log books for Tombae school.  Their website is at www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/archives.

You could also try the website for Moray's heritage at http://www.moray.gov.uk/LocalHeritage/Assets/html_pages/morayheritage.html as they have a large amount of information on their Libindex catalogue.

The area is now in Moray (it's so frustrating when boundaries change!)

As for books, I'm not sure what there would be available but a search of googlebooks or similar might throw up some useful information.

Offline allymcguigan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 22:04 GMT (UK) »
thanks archivos
have just checked the aberdeen archives site and the have records for a school in tombae and nearby tomintoul. will look into these.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 March 13 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

We have a new member 'fiftywinds' who made enquiries today regarding children boarded out from Glasgow to Tomintoul. There is some help to be had from the Lanarkshire board so I have moved the main posts from 'fiftywinds' there www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,639859.0.html

This was the original post made on this thread:

Hi F  :)

I have moved over your post to the Lanarkshire board where I am sure you will get more help with the local searches  :)

hi
i am trying to find out more about the experience of the young people from glasgow who were "boarded out" in the Tomintoul and Tomnavoulin areas between 1898 and 1908. i would be particularly interested in finding out about the school in tombae at this period. are there any books on the area at this time or useful sources?
thanks

Hi,
I have just come across your post. I have recently found out that I have relatives, William and Catherine Kelly, who were boarded out to a Donald Cumming in Tomintoul on 9/4/1901. The information does come from excellent Poor Relief records held at the Mitchel Library. They were in a Poorhouse in Glasgow for around 2 years before being sent to Tomintoul.
I am unable to find the family in the 1901 or 1911 census. I have found a Donald Cumming who has taken in boarders but not my William or Catherine. Do you have any more information on what happened to the poor wee mites that were sent away from the awful conditions in Glasgow? You mentioned school records?
Many thanks,
F

Hoping all the links are here to let everyone connect to the right bits of info  :)

As a side question...does anyone know what the connections were between Tomintoul and Glasgow in respect of boarders? I remember this other post here for example www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,221279.0.html

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline allymcguigan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 21:03 GMT (UK) »
The orphans boarded out to tomintoul were roman catholics and were sent there as there was a catholic community there. there is an interesting museum/building where they trained priests in secret in the 1700s near tombae. there was also a convent in tomintoul up until the 1970's i think.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 22:41 GMT (UK) »
The orphans boarded out to tomintoul were roman catholics and were sent there as there was a catholic community there. there is an interesting museum/building where they trained priests in secret in the 1700s near tombae.

Scalan Seminary. See http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ2419

There is a web site http://www.scalan.co.uk/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 March 16 10:17 BST (UK) »
Not sure this will help anyone, but adds to the information.
I have been researching family history of families in the Conglass area (just south of Tomintoul) in the parish of Kirkmichael and I came across 3 children from Glasgow that were boarding in Delnayne Cottage on the 1911 census.  They were Sarah Eldrick (14), Mary Eldrick (12) and Kate Eldrick (7).   They are certainly listed as scholars and would be attending school in Tomintoul.  I had wondered how and why they were there.  They were living with an elderly Margaret Smith (69) and her son John Smith (35).  I hadn't been able to find any trace of them in the Glasgow, Lanarkshire birth or census records.
Ali

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 March 16 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Ali

If it helps, there is a Sarah ELRICK born in Glasgow in 1895. Also a Mary Elrick in 1897. Both in Anderston, Glasgow. A Catherine Elrick in 1903 in Glasgow too.

Can't easily see them though like you in 1901.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 April 16 17:28 BST (UK) »
Thats super MonicaL, thanks for that.  I couldn't find them at all on Scotlands People - thanks again.  Now to find out what happened to them - did they go back or did they marry and settle in Tomintoul. 
Ali