Author Topic: HODGE-help needed  (Read 5061 times)

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HODGE-help needed
« on: Sunday 31 January 10 21:30 GMT (UK) »

Hi All, hoping some fresh eyes and lateral thinking can help me find my Gt/Grandfatherx5.

JOHN HODGE= MARGARET ALLAN 2 July 1774 LOGIE Perth. OPR states John as being in ALLOA.

Children - THOMAS ch Feb 1778
                 ALEXANDER 1780
                 CHRISTIAN 1781/2
                 JEAN 1782
                 JOHN 1787
All born Logie

From this period forward my line has adhered strongly to the Scottish Naming Pattern. I assumed that Thomas was their first living child so looked for a John c1740-60 with a father Thomas. NO LUCK.

JOHN HODGE 26 ch in all of Scotland 1740-60 (2 in Alloa). One of these 2 I find interesting.

JOHN HODGE ch 18 AUG 1745 Alloa, Father James, Mother Euphan Neish.
I can find no other children with these parents and no marriage for James and Euphan. BUT when I checked for a marriage of Euphan Neish 1730-1750
I found - Euphan Neish=Thomas Hodge 25 Nov 1737 Alloa. Three children to these parents, Mary 1739, Hellen 1749, Jean 1754 all ch Alloa.

Checked Euphan Neish christening, only 2 in the correct time period 1710 and 1715 to the same parents( John/Helen Stirline) in Alloa.

All comments welcome. Is JOHN 1745, I haven't seen the original OPR, really the son of Thomas.

Offline guiness1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HODGE-help needed
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 18:44 GMT (UK) »
hi do any of the hodge family come from dundee area?
Morrison   Hodge
Yule
McNamee
Riddell
Tersini
Holmes

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 19:51 GMT (UK) »

Hi guiness1, as far as I'm aware none of this family have connections to the Dundee area,but I wouldn't rule it out. I have my direct line in the Alloa and St Ninians areas between 1774 and 1920 when they moved to Glasgow.

I still have quite a few on other branches that I haven't followed up yet so if you would like to give me any names and dates I'll have a look and see if they tie in to my lot.

Val

Offline guiness1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 20:08 GMT (UK) »
hello val
you are further back than me mine are james hodge b.1854 forgan fife his parents david hodge/jessie bell married 1842 kilquncher sorry about spelling am working on hodge in st.andrews and surrounding area you seem to be doing very well with your family tree i have had a lot of help from the people on rootschat happy hunting.
Jen
Morrison   Hodge
Yule
McNamee
Riddell
Tersini
Holmes

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 February 10 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I too have Hodge connections.

from my line i go back 1845 - 1631 in Airth, stirling and further back -1550 in dunfermline.

my GGrandma Elizabeth Hodge was born in Cupar in 1855.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline yhw1963

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 November 15 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi, You have probably got this information already but I am just joining Roots. My John Hodge DOB: 26 August 1753, Alloa. Father was James Hodge and mother was Janet Patersone. Information from "Family Search" website. John was my 5th GGrandfather. Yvonne

Offline alisdair810

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 17:56 BST (UK) »
Your research on the Neish side appears to be correct.  Euphan 1715 was the 2nd child to be given that name. The first died just before her birth. (A surprisingly common occurrence). The Neish listing has the same information you have except we lack the certificate numbers so as yet it only shows 3 children including John. (unconfirmed) You are obviously one step ahead of us on that one!