Author Topic: Looking for info - death of Hugh BROOKS  (Read 5117 times)

Offline janda2050

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for info - death of Hugh BROOKS
« on: Sunday 31 January 10 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hugh Brooks was killed in exercises off the Australian coast when in the Marines (or maybe Navy, I'm not sure).  He was married to my aunt and had gone to Australia with her and his son in the mid 1950s.  His second son was born in Australia.  He served in the forces over there and I believe helped in the rescue of a 'man overboard' in Sydney Harbour. 

After he lost his life,  his wife and kids came back to Scotland.

Any help with details of his death would be much appreciated as I haven't a clue where to start !!

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers

Anna
McGrory, Milne, Mulvenny (or Mulveny), McKinlay, Cairns, Allan, McLean, Cassney (or Kessney).

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info - death of Hugh BROOKS
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 January 10 22:44 GMT (UK) »
A possibility??
In 1964  BROOKS  HUGH FREDERICK R father  GEORGE FREDERICK mother  EMILY REBECCA  ST LEONARDS  reg.  41843

The link to NSW BDM' s you can search for yourself :D

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingOrder.cgi/search?event=births

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janda2050

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 January 10 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for your help but my Hugh Brooks didn't have any middle names.

Is there anywhere I can search newspaper records?  Apparently the rescue in Sydney harbour and the disappearance were both reported in the press.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to help me with this one.

Cheers

Anna
McGrory, Milne, Mulvenny (or Mulveny), McKinlay, Cairns, Allan, McLean, Cassney (or Kessney).

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 January 10 23:16 GMT (UK) »
If he was a member of the forces and died in service I wonder if his name should have been  here ......notes the supreme sacrifice of those personnel who have in the exercise of peacetime duty sacrificed their lives in the service of their country; and.... 

http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/genpdf/chamber/hansards/2005-02-10/0020/hansard_frag.pdf;fileType=application%2Fpdf

What year did your aunt return to Scotland?

Is there anywhere I can search newspaper records?  Apparently the rescue in Sydney harbour and the disappearance were both reported in the press.

Newspapers are not digitised for the period you are seeking.  A little hard for anyone to assist you if you don't know the date of the event.  Perhaps someone else can offer some suggestions. 

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 February 10 09:28 GMT (UK) »
with her and his son in the mid 1950s.  His second son was born in Australia.  He served in the forces over there and I believe helped in the rescue of a 'man overboard' in Sydney Harbour.

After he lost his life,  his wife and kids came back to Scotland.

May I ask how he 'lost his life'?  Are we talking the Vietnam War, as it's the only one I can think of after the 50's, not that I'm up on wars?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 February 10 09:52 GMT (UK) »
HMAS Voyager might be a possible,was involved in exercises.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline aniph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 February 10 10:31 GMT (UK) »
There was an EA Brooks on the Voyager, the only Brooks
Phillips Galway>NZ
Flanagan Queens County>VIC>NZ
Bullock Bristol>Aus
Bury Shropshire>Aus
Maher Kings County>Aus
Pavletich Croatia>VIC>NZ
Delargy  Antrim & NZ

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 February 10 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anna,

Would this be him?  A bit of a different story.  http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/41834/supplements/6267  (first entry on the page)

A reference to the award here http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ResearcherScreen.asp  (search term  - sapper High Brooks)

Some info http://www.defence.gov.au/Army/RAE/RAE_History.asp

These guys might be able to help with a death or at least be able to give you some idea of where he might have been after 1959. http://www.aamme.com.au/

You can purchase a subscription to view the Sydney Morning Herald Archives 1955 - 1995 here http://archives.smh.com.au/   I find that their text recognition is not great, so if you have a look, try lots of word combinations, not just his name.

Debra

Offline janda2050

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 February 10 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi to Cando, Jamjar, Warncoot, Aniph and Debra

Thanks to all of you for the research you've done on this.

I've been trying to get in touch with my aunt - given name Mary but known as Moira - 's second husband to find out when she came back to Scotland and will pass on the information as soon as I get it.

He lost his life on 'exercises' - apparently the servicemen were left in deserted areas (in his case an island off-shore) with supplies, a dinghy, compass and the wherewithall to get back to a designated point in a given time.

Some time later, his dinghy was found with puncture marks and it was assumed that he had supplied some hungry shark with that month's food supply.

I'm sorry details are so sketchy - his kids now live abroad but I'm also trying to get some more info from them.

Once again, thanks for all your efforts - they are much appreciated.   I will put any more information I get on the post.

My aunt eventually sailed back to Glasgow with her two sons to rejoin the family here.