Author Topic: the pennywell portsmouth road, sunderland  (Read 24492 times)

Offline madam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
the pennywell portsmouth road, sunderland
« on: Sunday 31 January 10 22:46 GMT (UK) »
can anyone please help me with any information about a pub called the pennywell, portsmouth road, sunderland?
i can find the road but nothing about the pub itself.
my late father in law, robert hull morgan was the licencee there up until november 1969 when he died.
i would be grateful of any information that anyone can give me.
many thanks for reading this.
tina
abba allerston appleby atkinson barrett bell bourne bradley braithwaite bramham bucci bull burnett coulson cowling dawson dewhurst dixon edmond fryirs hargreaves harrison harrogate hogg hopkinson horner howard howarth howe hugill hull hunter husband ibbotson jackson longstaff lomax lownesbrough marshall morgan morley mortimer nelson ollerenshaw otterburn raine rowbottom saltmer sandham sheppard stamp sykes thompson thornton turley waddington wagstaffe williamson white whitehead whitfield wilson

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: the pennywell portsmouth road, sunderland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 February 10 10:52 GMT (UK) »
I think you mean "The Eagle" that was at the corner of Portsmouth Road/Parkhurst Road and was demolished about 1996. If you go to http://gis.durham.gov.uk/website/interMAP/viewer.htm and enter the post code SR49DB in search you will see where it was between the Community Centre and Medical Center.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 February 10 10:56 GMT (UK) »
"The Eagle" was a Nimmo house and opened on 11th March 1959. After lying derelict it became a target for arson attacks and was eventually demolished in October 1996.
From "Sunderland Public Houses" by Alan Brett, in which there is a photograph of the pub.

Stan

Offline madam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 09:00 GMT (UK) »
hello stan,
thankyou for your reply.
all i can go by is a death certificate which gives this name of the pub and the address dated 1969.
i had a great aunt who came from this area who said she remembered it, but she is sadly no longer with us for me to quiz her more about it.
i shall go onto the links that you have given me and have a look.
many thanks for your help.
tina :o)
abba allerston appleby atkinson barrett bell bourne bradley braithwaite bramham bucci bull burnett coulson cowling dawson dewhurst dixon edmond fryirs hargreaves harrison harrogate hogg hopkinson horner howard howarth howe hugill hull hunter husband ibbotson jackson longstaff lomax lownesbrough marshall morgan morley mortimer nelson ollerenshaw otterburn raine rowbottom saltmer sandham sheppard stamp sykes thompson thornton turley waddington wagstaffe williamson white whitehead whitfield wilson

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 09:11 GMT (UK) »
The name of the pub could have originally  been The Pennywell but was changed to The Eagle after 1969, there was no other pub in that area.

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 10:12 GMT (UK) »

Offline madam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 10:15 GMT (UK) »
thanks again, makes interesting reading!
tina

Offline lewis1c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 February 10 12:37 GMT (UK) »
I used to live near this area at the time you are talking about, and I can't remember a pub called the Pennywell. I certainly remember the Eagle pub mentioned in the other replies, which was at the end of the row of shops on Portsmouth Road and near the comprehensive school. I can't remember any other pubs on Portsmouth Road either.

Offline madam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 February 10 08:09 GMT (UK) »
hi lewis1c.
thanks for your reply.
all i can go by is a death certificate for this time which gives 'the pennnywell' as his address.
this has been a mystery for quite a number of years and seem as if it may be for a while longer.
thanks again.
tina