Author Topic: the pennywell portsmouth road, sunderland  (Read 24479 times)

Offline madam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: the pennywell portsmouth road, sunderland
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 14 March 10 08:02 GMT (UK) »
good idea stan!
thankyou, will have a go at that.
thankyous for all your input on this.
tina  :D
abba allerston appleby atkinson barrett bell bourne bradley braithwaite bramham bucci bull burnett coulson cowling dawson dewhurst dixon edmond fryirs hargreaves harrison harrogate hogg hopkinson horner howard howarth howe hugill hull hunter husband ibbotson jackson longstaff lomax lownesbrough marshall morgan morley mortimer nelson ollerenshaw otterburn raine rowbottom saltmer sandham sheppard stamp sykes thompson thornton turley waddington wagstaffe williamson white whitehead whitfield wilson

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 14 March 10 08:55 GMT (UK) »
hi tina if you need any more advice just ask
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline madam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 15 March 10 06:40 GMT (UK) »
thankyou neil,
it is good to know that there are people out there who are willing to help!
i do the same when i can, have done so on here a couple of times on the yorkshire board.
if either of you want anything in the scarborough area, just let me know and i will see what i can do.
going up to edinburgh for a few days so will be off here during this time, but will be all ready for action when i get back!
tina
abba allerston appleby atkinson barrett bell bourne bradley braithwaite bramham bucci bull burnett coulson cowling dawson dewhurst dixon edmond fryirs hargreaves harrison harrogate hogg hopkinson horner howard howarth howe hugill hull hunter husband ibbotson jackson longstaff lomax lownesbrough marshall morgan morley mortimer nelson ollerenshaw otterburn raine rowbottom saltmer sandham sheppard stamp sykes thompson thornton turley waddington wagstaffe williamson white whitehead whitfield wilson

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 15 March 10 09:00 GMT (UK) »
thanks it was just lucky i was born just down the road and went to school there and a pluss with my mams cousin had the pub.
neil
thanks for the offer of some reserch but my rellies came from othere areas.
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline ShawnB

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 17 November 13 22:35 GMT (UK) »
There was a pub called the pennywell. It was a vaux pub and it was opposite the eagle at the other side of the green field.
The eagle was at the end of the row of shops on Portsmouth road and my parents ran it from 1976 to 1982

Offline madam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 18 November 13 07:00 GMT (UK) »
hello!
thankyou, for the message about the pennywell. i am trying to find a photo of it. it is the last address of my father inlaw before he died in 1969.
thankyou for getting intouch.
tina

Offline Jonelless

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 10 April 14 20:00 BST (UK) »
This is what the Pennywell Inn is now . Cant find any original pictures of it YET
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=SR4+8ED&ie=UTF-8&ei=WOhGU82XE9OB7QbdgoHYBg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ   ( it is also the view from my front window )
It is the white building on the right with car park .

Action Sunderland
Pennywell Community College
Portchester Road
Sunderland
SR4 8ED

Tel : 0191 551 8241
Fax : 0191 552 9000

Offline bill60

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tina
A bit surprised that others cant remember the Pennywell Inn as it definitely existed (I know as I used to drink there) at the junction of Portsmouth Road and Porchester Road.

Actually, the original modernised building is still there but it is now used as a Springboard training centre.

The Eagle pub used to stand directly across the central grassed horseshoe shaped area where the new Pennywell Shopping Centre now stands. It was the Pennywell Inn that was a Nimmo (and later a Vaux) house and the Eagle was actually a Whitbread house. The Pennywell Inn was not renamed to the Eagle as a previous poster has suggested, they were 2 distinct and separate pubs that existed together for many years.

Hope this helps

Bill

Offline marjoryda

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 07 March 15 05:33 GMT (UK) »
yes thats totally right the springboard centre right on the corner of portchester/portsmouth rd was the former pennywell inn,which roy george & bridget ran for years,bridget may of been irish or scotch it was one of those,i know coz we used to stand in one of doorways,roy would come & chase us so we'd go to the door at the other end,there also used to be an off licence in the middle but stopped being   ,the pennywell inn doorways was used by many courting teenagers to stand around in,the Hut which was a playscheme ran by big eric & jan his wife were straight opposite the pennywell inn,which is now where the business park stands,spent man hours around both only living 1 or 2 streets away x