Author Topic: the pennywell portsmouth road, sunderland  (Read 24476 times)

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: the pennywell portsmouth road, sunderland
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 February 10 11:06 GMT (UK) »
the pennywell inn was across the other side to the eagle the eagle was at the end of the shops the pennywell was managed for years by roy and bridget gourge untill retired in the 1980s (roy was my mams cousin)the eagle was once famed for the eagle barmy army
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 February 10 14:20 GMT (UK) »
In the 1983 Telephone Directory both The Pennywell and The Eagle, are listed.( I should have checked it first  >:(  )It seems that The Pennywell for some reason is not listed in "Sunderland Public Houses" published 2003, was it closed by then?

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 February 10 15:52 GMT (UK) »
hi stan it stopped open after that im not sure for how long.
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 February 10 16:44 GMT (UK) »
hi stan ive sent you a pm
neil

Offline madam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 February 10 17:09 GMT (UK) »
so the saga goes on!
thanks all, for the info, maybe one day i will find the answer.
it took me 20yrs to sort out a bt so i dont give up easily!  lol!
tina
abba allerston appleby atkinson barrett bell bourne bradley braithwaite bramham bucci bull burnett coulson cowling dawson dewhurst dixon edmond fryirs hargreaves harrison harrogate hogg hopkinson horner howard howarth howe hugill hull hunter husband ibbotson jackson longstaff lomax lownesbrough marshall morgan morley mortimer nelson ollerenshaw otterburn raine rowbottom saltmer sandham sheppard stamp sykes thompson thornton turley waddington wagstaffe williamson white whitehead whitfield wilson

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 February 10 14:07 GMT (UK) »
the pennywell is now some sort of social services building the eagle was knocked down along with the shops. the shops in the middle of the cresent  just to the south of acadamy 360 (pennywell school).the pennywell sold vaux bear and i think the eagle was either scottish and newcasle or witbread.now there is no pubs or clubs in pennywell the nearerest pubs are the grindon mill on chester road and pennywell comrades but this is in south hylton at the top of hylton bank.i think both pubs shut because the lack of trade and they were no go areas for all but the regulers.
neil

Offline madam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 08:41 GMT (UK) »
hello neil!
thankyou so much for looking into this for me!
so if i understand this - the building is still there but being used for social services?
i am now hoping that a photo will turn up or i can get up there sometime to see for myself!
many thanks to all that have helped me.
tina   :)
abba allerston appleby atkinson barrett bell bourne bradley braithwaite bramham bucci bull burnett coulson cowling dawson dewhurst dixon edmond fryirs hargreaves harrison harrogate hogg hopkinson horner howard howarth howe hugill hull hunter husband ibbotson jackson longstaff lomax lownesbrough marshall morgan morley mortimer nelson ollerenshaw otterburn raine rowbottom saltmer sandham sheppard stamp sykes thompson thornton turley waddington wagstaffe williamson white whitehead whitfield wilson

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 09:20 GMT (UK) »
hi tina the building is still there as i said. i think it was built some time in the 1950s i will have a look about the web th see if i can find any pics.
neil

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 09:25 GMT (UK) »
You can get a birds eye view of the area with http://www.bing.com/maps/ you can rotate the view to see it from different directions.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk