Author Topic: Worlds Oldest Mason  (Read 4022 times)

Offline Rob McCue

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Worlds Oldest Mason
« on: Monday 01 February 10 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am doing research on our family, and apparently my Great Great Grandfather was reputed to be the worlds oldest mason.

His name is Charles McCue .

"Charles McCue, born on 14th June 1756 in Northern Ireland became a Mason at the age of 18. He migrated to Canada in 1837 and affiliated to St Johns Lodge No: 68, Ingersoll, Ontario. When he died on 5th May 1870, he had been a Mason for almost 95 years!"

Charles was just shy of his 114th birthday when he passed away.

I have heard he was from Maghermask Ireland, can anyone help me locate where this is and how to find more info of his family in Ireland.

Cheers,

Rob McCue

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Worlds Oldest Mason
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob,
Welcome to Rootschat.
Someone else in the past has been researching Charles. There is an submitted entry on the IGI at Familysearch;

Charles McCue
Birth, 14 June 1756, McGibbery, Antrim, Ireland
Died, 05 May 1863

So the date of death does not match with yours.
Do you have his Death Cert?
It may contain extra info.

trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Rob, I think the place you mention is Magheramesk which is the civil parish, it's possibly a townland as well, and the Mcgibbery that Trish mentions could be Maghaberry, which is a townland in that parish. You should be able to find it a couple of miles north east of Moira, in county Antrim, on a map. Maghaberry would be more famous these days for the prison.

Tony

Offline Nathan C McCue

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello my name is Nathan Charles Mccue I am a direct decedent of Charles McCue, my middle name is Charles in honor of Charles Mccue, I have heard the same story, of he was the oldest living freemason in the world at the age of 114 and he also was in the Canadian parlament, and is buried in Chatem Ontario, there is a statue of him there, my uncle went to Belfast Ireland but not the same family.I believe my great grandfather was his son, Christopher MCcue, he was a doctor in Goodles Michigan and was ware my mother grew up. The University of MI is studying our family to see why we live so long, they asked us to give blood so they could run tests on it to unlock the mystery. That's about all I know

Offline Gayle McCue

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 November 17 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I am told I am a descendant of this same Charles McCue.  I am the daughter of William Charles McCue, granddaughter of Mac McCue, great granddaughter of William McCue.  I am very interested in making connections with some relatives!  I live on Vancouver Island, Canada.

Offline Arthur John

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 September 19 01:20 BST (UK) »
Just found this website and yes Charles McCue B: 1756 was my Great Grandfather 4x removed.
He is buried in Ingersoll Rural Cemetery Ontario.
Interested in hearing from any McCue family members.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 September 19 01:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Arthur John and welcome to RootsChat.

I'm not part of your clan - I read this post because my 4xGF was a STONE mason in Australia, but originally from Antrim.
It's perplexing that none of the three McCue people on the post have ever made more than that one post.

So you may not get a reply from any of them.
But good luck!
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 September 19 12:46 BST (UK) »
According to some online trees (which may or may not be correct), Charles McCue was
1) born at "Maghery, Donegal" (but actual tree says "McGibbery (Maghaberry), Parish of Machremesk, County Antrim, Ireland"), siblings born in Viriginia, U.S. where parents died, married in Ireland then had children in Down, Armagh & Antrim lived in Donegal, then married same wife 50 years after he first married her, then went to Canada  :o
2) born at "Magherabeg, Donegal" ...

There were other trees but after reading the first one then seeing the next one I gave up  ;D
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 September 19 13:20 BST (UK) »

Some did travel a lot!   ;D

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.