Author Topic: Lunatic Asylum, Lancaster 1891 census  (Read 42215 times)

Offline EdwardAK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lunatic Asylum, Lancaster 1891 census
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 28 October 10 19:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the quick response.  The cemetery is in Skerton on Halton Road near Road.  I will try and get my 3 posts in so I can send you a message with the actual grave location of my grandfather and my uncle. Both died in 1912. 

Ed

Offline EdwardAK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 28 October 10 19:17 BST (UK) »
I am interested in the Lunatic Asylum (Royal Albert Institution) as my great aunt, Elizabeth, seems to have been put in their around the time her mother passed away in 1909.  I have sent off a not to Lancaster Records Office as I read they may have the records of her stay.  Not 100% sure she went there but her history sort of indicates she was somewhat challenged.

Ed

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 28 October 10 21:22 BST (UK) »
Well that's your three posts!
If you click the little green scroll under my avatar, that is the PM button. You can't attach images to a PM, so we might need to exchange personal email addresses as well.
The Royal Albert was the 'Asylum for idiots and imbeciles', and catered for children and young people with some sort of permanent or long-term disability. The Moor Asylum was the 'county lunatic asylum', so Elizabeth's illness/disability/mental state would determine which one she went to.

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline EdwardAK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 28 October 10 21:50 BST (UK) »
The 1911 Census shows ROYAL ALBERT INSTITUTION WITH BRUNTON HOUSE.  When 15 years old she was a servant but on the next census she had no occupation so I will assume she had a long term disability.  I have added the following to my records from your post.

"The Royal Albert was the 'Asylum for idiots and imbeciles', and catered for children and young people with some sort of permanent or long-term disability."

Ed

Offline lolly 58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 13 January 12 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am looking for some information about a patient Dolly,who was 100 years old when she died in Lancaster Moor Hospital,I need to find out more about her..please if any one can help me...

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi lolly 58
Read page 3 of this thread, details of where to find the records for Lancaster Moor Hospital is on there by me.

bendywendy
HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline zonker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 17 February 12 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks, this has all become a little confused but I found the Asylum Records are available via:
ACS.RecordOffice@lancashire.gov.uk

and the Cemetery records from:
environmentalhealth@lancaster.gov.uk

Both were extremely helpful and efficient. 

Just a few words of caution; The Medical records can be heart wrenching and it is likely that the burials will be in unmarked graves but the cemetery administrator was good enough to tell me the area of the graveyard and even tell me the name on the grave my relly's burial was adjacent to.

Offline choc12red

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 29 October 12 21:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm new to this site, but not new to searching my family tree. I thought I would answer some questions for all of you looking for family members who were in the Lancaster Moor Hospital and Royal Albert Hospitals.
Whilst doing my tree I knew my Father's Grandfather had been head porter at Lancaster Moor in the early 1900. During my research I found he was a porter there since 1881, which appeared in the 1881 census. My Mother's Grandmother was admitted between 1901-1911, and died in there of TB in 1917. My mother started work there in 1963, and my 2 sisters worked there as nurses. I started work there in 1978 as a Pharmacy technician. I was then moved to Royal Lancaster Infirmary in 1980, and as part of my job had to visit Royal Albert Hospital.
The reason why I explained all this is that i can speak first hand about the hospital, so if anyone would like a more personal opinion of the hospitals I can give that.
Psychiatric care and treatment has altered so much in the last 20 years, and what seems awful today, was as caring as they could do 100 years ago. A lot of people have the image of some horror film, but the Moor, and Albert were good places. The wards were huge, the gardens were wonderful.
My Great Grandmother was admitted because she was a danger to herself, and a worry to her family. She would wander off in the middle of the night, ending up in police cells, not knowing who she was. When she was admitted she was cared for. She probable had dementia.
Ifanyone would like any help just ask.

Offline lolly 58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 04 November 12 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you,I would very much like to talk to you about when you worked at lancaster moor hospital.
I am not sure if I am allowed to leave my email on here,but it would be good to message you on here if I can only correspond on here.
thank you
Lorraine