Author Topic: Daniel and Janet Kane  (Read 13900 times)

Offline Hopskinny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel and Janet Kane
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 22 May 11 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire

Was the other researcher in America wanting to know more about the Kerr connection in relation to a Kerr family reunion he is organising (Janet Kane nee Kerr)? If so, he has replied to a 2004 post of mine in some forum I have forgotten! Anyway, I have sent him much of the material I have on the Kerr and Kane families.

There is another researcher, now living near Nelson, who is researching the Kane family for a Kane family member.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

John

Offline rotosis

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 22 May 11 22:59 BST (UK) »
Yes that was the researcher than had touched base with me a couple of days ago.

I think i might be intouch witht he researcher in Nelson, though i cant be sure, i know the research i helped with was for his wifes line..........

It was David and Jant Kanes grandson Eric Neil who married Lily ridley.  Lilly was the sister to my husbands great grandma

Claire
Wifes side    
Bayley (Wem & Chester & Canada), Davies(Llandgela), Price (Shropshire), Evans, Healey (Sligo Ireland) Harrison (Cheshire), Brereton (Haslington, Cheshire), Ford (Mow Cop/Haslington, Cheshire)

Husbands side
Plaisted (London UK, Australia & New Zealand), Gillbanks (England to New Zealand) Ridley (Kent to New Zealand) Gordon (Perth Scotland to New Zealand), Hill (Antrim Ireland to New Zealand) Alfuth/Alford (Kokoszki, Poland to New Zealand) Hoppy (Germany? to New Zealand)

Offline Hopskinny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 22 May 11 23:11 BST (UK) »
I think the guy in Nelson is researching for a friend.

My grandmother Catherine (mother's mother) was Daniel and Janet's second child born after their arrival in NZ (Hugh was the first child born here). Interesting that none of the people in this thread picked up her birth.

Even though my grandmother was born in NZ and died in her 80's having never left the country, she still had a distinct Scots accent all through her life. Not just the southern rolled 'r', but the full works! Very soft though, unless you got her riled up (e.g. by putting anything on your breakfast porridge except salt - if you wanted milk with your porridge, it had to be in a separate bowl, into which you were allowed to dip your spoonful of porridge to cool it). I have Grandma's cow horn porridge spoon, made for her by her father Daniel, as was the custom. You can see similar spoons in the Otago Early Settlers Museum in Dunedin.

My grandparents married on the same day the family was celebrating Daniel and Janet's golden wedding anniversary. Do you have a copy of the newspaper photograph and articles? It was written up in the ODT and Evening Star. I have attached a copy of my grandmother with her mother Janet Kane, nee Kerr, and my grandmother's first child - my aunt Janet Kerr Dempster, and Andrew Kerr (Janet Kerr's father). The latter photo was reputedly taken the day Daniel and Janet left to board the ship to NZ. I also have a scan of the shipping list in the original hand, if you are interested.

Offline NZfindScots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 15 November 15 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, so happy to find this post.

I am the Granddaughter of Andrew Kerr Cunningham, living in the Bay of Plenty. I have done a lot of research including census info which you can find on Ancestry under Cunningham Kerr Cameron Mc.. tree would love to be in contact with extended members of "our family".

I have also commented on the 1871 census and have come to the conclusion that somehow the Watson and McCain/Kane family must be somehow connected even if it is through the honour and its commitment of being godparents to a Watson child (an assumption I know; but until someone can come up with a better explanation I'm running with that)as I found the Watson mother and younger sibling in the poorhouse in this census. Previous census the Watsons together as a family!

The McCaines/Kanes bought some of the Watson siblings out to New Zealand. Some Watsons and McCaines/Kanes were born in Kilbirnie. I may have had to remove the Watson parents visually from the tree as I couldn't have both sets of parents represented much to my frustration.

Just checked if you click on Agnes Watson a, on my tree you will see the parents of the Watson children and under the parents all the Watson siblings and census info.

Andrew Kerr Kane married a Watson, but yet to make a connection with the original Watson family if there is one?

I am quite new to rootschat how do you make personal contact if both sides want to?

Hope this is some help to all those researching these families, I am always open to being corrected and to new information.

Deb

Offline NZfindScots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 15 November 15 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, would love some more info re 'our family', Granddaughter of Andrew Kerr Cunningham. Bay of Plenty New Zealand. Have just also done a reply to another member researching this family. Regards, Deb

Offline rotosis

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 16 November 15 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb

I will PM you and I will hunt down what i have when I can.  Lovely to meet you.  The Kane/Kerr family married into the Ridley family at some stage.  Can't remember off the top of my head, though it maybe in prior posts.

Claire
Wifes side    
Bayley (Wem & Chester & Canada), Davies(Llandgela), Price (Shropshire), Evans, Healey (Sligo Ireland) Harrison (Cheshire), Brereton (Haslington, Cheshire), Ford (Mow Cop/Haslington, Cheshire)

Husbands side
Plaisted (London UK, Australia & New Zealand), Gillbanks (England to New Zealand) Ridley (Kent to New Zealand) Gordon (Perth Scotland to New Zealand), Hill (Antrim Ireland to New Zealand) Alfuth/Alford (Kokoszki, Poland to New Zealand) Hoppy (Germany? to New Zealand)

Offline Hopskinny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 16 November 15 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb

I replied yesterday to your email to me at paradise using both the email addresses you gave. Perhaps check your spam folder if they haven't shown up, and your inbox limit cos that can be a problem with your email provider.

John

Offline Hopskinny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Reply to Claire:

I am not sure where we got up to with our earlier email contact, but I should have updated you. I have been in regular contact with Nancy, who is descended from the Kerr family in Scotland. In fact she was raised in the same area of Scotland, though she has lived in Canada for some time.

Nancy was hot on the heels of two of Janet Kerr's sisters who had been missing in action. I had always understood that they came to live in NZ and died here, but I couldn't locate any likely matches, not knowing their married names. Some time this year Nancy identified both of them and we have been able to find them in a family photo.

Nancy has also put me in touch with a distant cousin in ChCh who is a descendant of one of Janet Kerr's sisters.

Offline Searching241

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 22:35 BST (UK) »
About the Watson Connection. Colonel Hugh Watson was a celebrated hero after the war,  (world war 1) they lived in muirend street Kilbirnie. I have a picture somewhere

McTaggart, Brisco, Warnock, Aikman, Glass, Hay, Loughran