Author Topic: Dodd - Liverpool/Bury/Salford  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Oreo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dodd - Liverpool/Bury/Salford
« on: Tuesday 02 February 10 16:19 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for help/suggestions in looking for information about my great-great grandfather, George Dodd.

I have 1871, 1881, 1891, and 1901 censuses.  He died in 1909.

On 1871 census he was a bugler in the 7th Lancashire Militia at Bury barracks.  He married Martha Binns in Bolton in September 1871.  His marriage certificate gives his age as 21, which would suggest a birth date of about 1850.  All other records point towards a birth date of 1852/53.  Perhaps he lied about his age when he married.  I can find no trace of him prior to the 1871 census. 

The marriage certificate names his father as Joseph Dodd - a mechanic - deceased.  I can't find him on any census either.

All censuses give his birth place as Liverpool, except 1871 which says Prescot.  Have tried all the possible entries fpr George Dodds born in Liverpool between 1848-1853.  I am wondering if his parents didn't register his birth.

Has anyone any ideas where I can look next?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Dodd - Liverpool/Bury/Salford
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I suspect he may have been illegitimate.  It was quite common for an illegitimate child to invent a father when they married so as to appear "respectable"

Invariably - the "father" would be shown as deceased

Another possibility is that he was legitimate but his father died and his mother re-married before 1861.  Quite common to find children of a previous marriage shown under the new husbands surname

A possible way of finding him is to look at all female Dodd marriages in the Liverpool area between 1852-1861 and then look for them on the 1861 census

Freebmd is the main starting point but to help with the spouse name - also look on www.lancashirebmd.org.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Oreo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help.  I'll have a look at the marriages as you suggest.

Offline Musicman23146

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 April 13 09:52 BST (UK) »
HI Oreo - I see you posted something about the grave of Martha and Joseph Dodd buried at St Andrew's in Maghull. I think this is my grandmother - who was murdered in Darlington in 1958. The man who committed the murder was the last man to hang in Durham jail.
I am going on a visit to the churchyard in May to see if I can find any other family members buried there. I have never seen the grave - and this was planned by me before I saw your post. I have been living in South Africa since 1970 and have just returned to the UK and am trying to put together a family tree. Joseph Dodd was a violinist and Martha Dodd ran some sort of employment agency for domestic help. It is possible that Joseph Dodd's father was a cornet player - I remember a family story that he appeared at Buckingham Palace by command of Queen Victoria - not sure if that's true tho.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 April 13 15:53 BST (UK) »
George and Martha were married in Bury as given in the first posting in 1871

I see a few possible children for them.including a Joseph
  the baptism of Fanny Dodd
St John ,Bury
born 17th October 1880
baptised 20th November 1880
child of George Dodd and Martha
abode Star St ,
father a musician
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Barrydu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 June 16 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

George Dodd was my Great Grandfather on my mother’s side. My grandfather, James Binns Dodd was born 3rd October 1875  at the Britania Inn, Paradise St Bury Lancs.

I live in Sydney Australia. In 2005 I went looking for The Britania Inn. It has gone and the area is now the car park for a shopping centre.

Musicman23146, I see that music runs in the Dodd family. George Dodd’s grandfather may have played a cornet. Census records show that In 1871 George Dodd was a bugler and in 1881 he claimed to be a Professor of Music. George Bins Dodd played the violin and trumpet. My mother who was born a Dodd, played and taught the recorder.

Barry

Offline Musicman23146

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 June 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
I have finally started tracking down the family and James Binns Dodd was on my mothers side, with two brothers, both musicians -
Joseph Dodd born1874 at Bury Lancs (Vol 8c Page 538)- died 31 Dec 1949 in Liverpool - and -
David Dodd born 1877 Salford Died 8 Dec 1950
Their father was George Dodd born 1853 and he was a Professor of Music he died 13 May 1909 at Broughton, Salford Lancs. He married Martha Binns on 3 Sept. 1871. Martha Binns was born 4 July1851 at Colne Lancs. and died in June 1916 at Ilford in Essex.
Joseph Dodd married Martha (Annie) Peatfiled (my grandmother who I remember well) on 12 Oct. 1898. She was born on 13 Sept. 1874 and died on 11 June 1958 in Darlington when she was murdered in her home by a sergeant in the British Army. He was the last man to hang at Durham Jail. If you write to me directly I'll send more info as I get it. My mail address is (*) - although I now live in King's Lynn UK. You can see more about me at www.michaelhankinson.net. I hope this helps and look forward to getting any information you might have unearthed. Michael Hankinson

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

(*) Moderator Comment: duplicate post removed