Author Topic: Mann in Stranraer  (Read 9253 times)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mann in Stranraer
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 22:47 GMT (UK) »
I now need to find Agnew Crescent on an old map. Also can someone tell me where I can find the Kirk Sessions for Stranraer please. It's a long shot but my grandmother was born in 1883 in Stranraer, Ellen (or Helen) Mann Williamson illegitimate. I suspect her mother thought the father would marry her eventually, but he didn't!

Hi Judy,

Agnew Crescent is still there in Stranraer and runs along the shore. Not familiar with the area myself, just did a search on Google Maps. ;D If you do a search for 7 Agnew Crescent [as per the 1871 census entry], you'll find it is now the Harbour Lights Guest House - http://www.harbourlightsguesthouse.co.uk/. Of course this is assuming the numbering of the street hasn't changed over the years, which it may have.

I also had a search on the National Archives of Scotland's online catalogue - unfortunately it only looks as if Stranraer's Kirk Session records go up to 1872. It's a tad annoying. :-\ I do wonder if there will be records of some sort ... I have been able to find individual records on the catalogue. If you give us the mother's name (and father's if you have it), it might be able to be found.

hume :)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 February 10 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hume

Thanks for taking the trouble to read this thread and add to it's content.

I clicked on your link for the Harbour Lights Guest House. It looks rather pleasant. Maybe a place for my OH and I to stay when we take our trip to Northern Ireland to continue the search.

My heart missed a beat when I looked on their map. My gt grandmother Jane Williamson lived at Back Ramparts which is the next little street along! She could have helped out at the Mann's house, being a domestic servant, or met James in the Grocer's Shop. This is all in the mind at present but who knows?

I attach a photo of Back Ramparts. All the old "fishermen's hovels" (as my mother called them) have gone now.

Food for thought, eh?

Thanks again.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline SinclairNK

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 February 16 03:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy. I just joined this forum when I saw your post. I am trying to put my family tree together. My mother's great grandfather was a John Mann who lived in Stranraer - Academy street and who was married with several boys. Its a long shot that we might have the same Mann lol.