Author Topic: James Mackison - Stirling  (Read 26090 times)

Offline jimmax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Mackison - Stirling
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 07 August 16 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin,

here are some possible leads to follow up.  Any other suggestions are very welcome.

1.   If I could find out what happened to Beatrice, William, Helen, Colin and George Mackison from Dunblane I might find something linking them with Ann, Catherine, James & John (if there is a connection to be found).

2.   James Mackison senior was a Distillery Worker (according to the death certificate of his daughter Catherine Mackison).  There hasn’t been a distillery in Dunblane, as far as I can find out.  Did he move away from Dunblane to work in a distillery in later life?  Were Ann, Catherine and John younger siblings born outside Dunblane?

3.   James Mackison baptised in 1789: could he be anyone other than the James Mackison who married in Bannockburn in 1812?  I haven’t found anyone else who fits the bill but this isn’t conclusive and I should review the information available as I first tried this process of elimination in pre Internet days.

4.   I might look again at Hugh Forsyth’s will & testament.  If he left money to Robert Mackison, Ann Mackison and Mrs John Eadie he may have left money to other relatives of his wife Catherine Mackison.

5.   George Mackison bapt.1794 in Dunblane adopted the Maxwell alias (common to a lot of Mackisons) so he was George Maxwell when he married Mary Jack in 1814.  He was a ploughman and lived in Muthill, I think.  Some of his descendants settled in New Zealand.  He might be worth investigating with the hope of finding a connection.

6.   The fact that the baptismal records of the children of James Mackison (Ann Mackison’s brother) haven’t been found in Bannockburn suggests James might have been a member of a seceding church.  Likewise, his parents might have been members of the same church, which would explain why the baptismal records of Ann, James, Catherine and John haven’t been found in the Church of Scotland records.

7.   A look at the Kirk Session records might throw something up but since they are not indexed this could be a forlorn task.  A very long shot.

Presently I am inclined to think that James Mackison, who married Margaret Sharp in 1781, was probably born in Bannockburn.  He was married there and since there had been several generations of Mackisons living there the most likely scenario is that he was born there.  However, since there is no known record of his baptism in Bannockburn/St. Ninian’s then other possibilities remain valid.

At the moment I am working on my English family history, with lots of easier lines of enquiry.  Feel free to follow up any of the above leads.

best of luck, Jim
Mackison, MacKessan, alias Maxwell, Forfar, McGeorge, Wallace.

Bowker, Pitpladdy, Barrow, Starkey.

Offline Kevin Malley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 07 August 16 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,
Your theory on James perhaps working in a Distillery in Clackmannanshire did cross my mind too. And the fact some of the family did end up in Alloa could suggest connections there, possibly with the Sharp family. Will look into that  I think.
 I also feel the theory about the Maxwell alias being a reaction to fact the name looks Gaelic is a good one.The dates of these name changes all seem to be post 1745 until early 1800's which would fit in with the ill feeling at time of all things "Highland".
Will follow up these leads best I can.
Thanks
Malley, McCloskey, O'Donnell, Bresland, Dermidy, MacDonald, Lacey, Thornton, Quinn, Barret, Brogan, McCahill, Dempsey, Gallagher

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 07 August 16 22:59 BST (UK) »
James Mackison senior was a Distillery Worker (according to the death certificate of his daughter Catherine Mackison).  There hasn’t been a distillery in Dunblane, as far as I can find out. 

http://deanstonmalt.com/ is not a million miles from Dunblane. I would be very surprised if there has never, at any time, been a distillery in or close to Dunblane.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline PeeJayMax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 31 December 20 02:03 GMT (UK) »
I am Peter Maxwell from New Zealand. I happened to stumble on the discussion re MacKisons in Scotland especially those from Kevin Malley. Accoring to information I have my Maxwell family goes back to the MacKison name. My fthaer was George Edward Maxwell, born in NZ about 1918. His father was Herbert Maxwell born in NZ in 1891. His father was George Maxwell born in Scotland in 1849 (came to NZ with his family 1858). His father was James Maxwell born 1818 and married Helen Taylor. According to the information I have is his father was George Maxwell/MacKison and married Mary Jack. These are all names  I have read in posts on RootsChat that are common to me so I presume maybe in interest to others and I look forward to reading more theories re these family connections.

Offline jimmax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 02 January 21 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter.  Are you related to James Maxwell of Lake Tekapo?  I met him back in the 1980s when he came across to the UK research his family history.  I also corresponded with Ruth Brockbank of Dunedin re the Mackison/Maxwell family of Kilbryde, Dunblane.

As I recall James' family in NZ had called their farm 'Parkhead' after the farm 'Parkhead' at Sherrifmuir, Dunblane.

My Mackison family lived in Bannockburn (to the south of Stirling).  I thought they might be descended from the Mackison/Maxwell family in Dunblane (to the north of Stirling), hence my interest, but as yet I have not found a definite connection

Happy New Year, Jim/James Mackison (Lancaster, England)
Mackison, MacKessan, alias Maxwell, Forfar, McGeorge, Wallace.

Bowker, Pitpladdy, Barrow, Starkey.

Offline PeeJayMax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 03 January 21 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim;

Yes I am. My father George was Jame's and Ruth's first cousin. I also lived in Lake Tekapo for 40 years, shifted out 4 years ago. James and Ruth put together, with your help, a Maxwell/Valentine family tree for a reunion we had in 1988. The Mackison name was always a puzzle so last year I decided to do a DNA test through MyHeritage. It didn't turn up much new stuff on the Maxwell side but I found more cousins on my mothers side. It was then suggested that I did Y-DNA test through FTDNA and the Maxwell Project managed by a Don Maxwell in the USA. A John Maxwell, (Jame's nephew) also did one. the only strong match we both found was a Kenneth Maxwell in the USA showing his oldest relative to be a John Maxwell 1790-1846 which is close to our Maxwells but not exactly. Maybe another MacKison connection if we have the same Y-DNA grouping. He had his DNA done in 2016 and has had no matches until we came along hence my desire to find more out about the MacKison connection. We did the y37 test, then John Maxwell expanded that to the Y111 test and nothing more was showing so Don is getting him to do the BIG Y700 test hoping some answers may pop up. So in a nut shell, that is where I am at, trying to carry on with the work you were involved in 30 odd years ago. If you wish do you want to private message me with your email address and we can then carry on this discussion by email but with the objective of keeping this group informed as I dare say there will be renewed interest out there. By the way there is even questions around the Parkhead name. Jame's property in Lake Tekapo was also named Parkhead along with the farm in Wanganui. I also visited Parkhead in Scotland in 2008 but didn't go in.

Offline PeeJayMax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 04 January 21 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Jim;
I was just reading through the threads of this Mackison converstion and I see in August 2016 you had a list of different MacKisons. I see you wrote that George MacKison had changed his name to Maxwell before marrying Mary Jack in 1814. I have come across the 'bands of marriage" for this couple and they read that George Mackieson (notice name spelling) and Mary Jack marriage 12/11/1814. Just some more confusion. Perhaps there is a male MacKison out there who would be prepared or has done the Y-DNA test through FTDNA just to see if there is a link back to us Maxwells. It could be very interesting and maybe answer a lot of questions.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 04 January 21 03:42 GMT (UK) »
I'd recommend an ancestry DNA test as your raw data can be uploaded to FTDNA & other sites but it can't be done the other way round i.e. ancestry do not allow raw data from other sites to be uploaded to theirs.

Ancestry also have the largest amount of testers & the largest facility for family trees which many other sites don't have.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline PeeJayMax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 04 January 21 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annie;

I did a raw DNA through My Heritage and downloaded that to FTDNA. I appreciate that Ancestry doesn't allow this. The idea of the Y-DNA is that this tracks the Y chromosome through the male line only so that one can track their family name back as far as possible. I and a second cousin have been working with a Don Maxwell from the USA who runs the Maxwell Project at FTDNA tracking the Maxwell families. We started off doing a 37 marker test which showed that we are pretty unique to Maxwell's as far as our DNA group is concerned, hence my renewed interest in the MacKison connection. My cousin is now doing the Big Y which will have 700 markers. We can then see what common markers we have to other Maxwell's around the world if any.