Author Topic: LEPINE  (Read 33202 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LEPINE
« Reply #27 on: Friday 19 August 16 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Pleased my digging around has helped you. I have done an awful of researching on the Lepines over the years and have researched all the earlier branches to unravel my own family.

Samuel who died in 1828 I think you know his burial so I assume you are referring to the burials of his sons? I do not know where they were buried at the moment, I'm afraid.

All I can offer is the following children for Edward/Edwin Lepine and Susannah/Hannah Jones:

unnamed son Lepine 1851–1851
Elizabeth Ellen Lepine 1852–
Samuel Lepine 1855–1855
Edward Lepine 1856–1858
Charles 'Edwin' Lepine 1860–
Mary Ann Lepine 1862–
Joseph Lepine 1865–1868
Maria Lepine 1868–1868

Kind regards,
Jon

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 19 August 16 23:52 BST (UK) »
Just had a little look on ancestry and the Gloucestershire parish registers are up which they weren't last time I looked at this line.

And to my surprise, Samuel Lepine's marriage to the long maiden name-less Elizabeth is there. 

They married at Hempstead, Gloustershire, on 4 July 1815 and her maiden name was Steevens [sic].

Samuel and Elizabeth were both of the 'Extraparochial hamlet of Littleworth' and the witnesses were Thomas Venn and Mary Venn.

Furthermore, the daughter Harriett who is named in that 1819 Kent removal record with her parents is also is to be found baptised in Gloucestershire.

She was baptised at St Catherine's Gloucester on 25 May 1818 and her father Samuel is recorded as being a baker.

Further to all this, there is then a 31 May 1830 marriage in Churchdown, Gloucestershire of an Elizabeth Lepine to a Francis Hopkins of St Catherine, Gloucester.

This is surely the widowed Elizabeth, former wife of Samuel Lepine, and she returned to Gloucestershire after the death of her husband where she remarried.

The witnesses were William Uzzell and Ann Uzzell.

That's all I have for now, but it has filled in some missing gaps.

Kind regards,
Jon 

Offline Kaytay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 20 August 16 00:30 BST (UK) »
I have Edward and Susannah children, thank you. At first I had thought that Elizabeth Ellen was the only surviving child. But on a visit to Gloucester I discovered that Mary Anne also survived.
She was adopted by Susannah's sister after her father died. Also the one son I can't find any information on is Charles
Something I did find out was when Edward registered the birth he is down as Edwin and Susannah as Hannah. While when Susannah registered the names were correct. My Elizabeth's middle name is down as Helen and not Ellen on one record. Mary Ann's surname was spelt Leppine when living with her Aunt.

Thank you for the other info, I had saw the Samuel and Elizabeth this afternoon but dismissed it because I forgot that Samuel was with the Gloucester regiment when he was discharged. I've been so focused on the Maidstone connection. 
The Uzzells are connected through marriage.

Thank you once again for your help.

Kind regards Karen

Offline emmygee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 11 September 16 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My 2c2r, Elizabeth Bellingham Grout married Frank Lepine Woodhouse in Sept 1891, both were born in Redhill/Reigate Surrey in about 1868.
Frank's parents were James Woodhouse (b.abt 1820 in Warwickshire) and Ruth Lepine (b.1826 in Paddington, Middlesex). They had married in Jan 1847 in Paddington, Ruth's father was shown as Stephen Lepine, a Cordwainer. On Ruth's baptism her mother was shown as Abigail.
I haven't looked any further back than Stephen & Abigail.
One of Frank & Elizabeth's daughter, Edith Ruth Woodhouse ended up in Australia with her 2 sons (via Hong Kong)
It would be interesting to find out which branch of the Lepine clan they come from.

Cheers
Maurice
Marchant, Grout, Worsfold, Woolgar all from Surrey.
Marchant in New Zealand.

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 11 September 16 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there. I have researched this Stephen's line but out today so will try and remember to reply on here when I am home. If I don't get back to you though, please feel free to remind me here!

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 11 September 16 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi there Maurice,

Have looked at my notes and this is your line:

Jehan de Lespine born before c1554 in La Gorgue, France

Their son Jaques de Lespine born before c1573 in La Gorgue, France, died Cantebury 1601 married Catherine Delbeq

Their son Jan/Jean de Lespine born Canterbury 1594 died 1655 married as his first wife Jaqueline Bariselle in 1630.

Their son Jean Delepine/Lepine born Canterbury 1632 died 1710 married Marie Bonte in 1668

Their son Daniel Lepine born Canterbury, Kent 1687 died 1754 married as his second wife Elizabeth Broadstreet in 1727

Their son Jean/John Lepine born Canterbury 1732 died 1804 married Mary Brett in 1761

Their son John Lepine born Canterbury 1764 died after 1820 married Mary Arrowsmith in 1787

Their son Stephen Lepine born Maidstone 1789 died 1868 married Abigail Merefield in 1811

Their daughter Ruth Lepine born Holborn 1826 died 1886 married James Woodhouse in 1847

I have the following children for them:

Mary Ann Woodhouse 1847–
Emily Davies\Davis Woodhouse 1849–1911
Walter James Woodhouse 1850–1932
Charles Arthur Woodhouse 1851–
Bertha Elizabeth Woodhouse 1853–
Stephen John Woodhouse 1855–
Henry Edmund Woodhouse 1856–1905
Clara Jane Woodhouse 1858–1931
Joseph William Woodhouse 1860–
Alice Ruth Woodhouse 1861–1863
Alfred Ernest Woodhouse 1864–
Sidney Woodhouse 1865–
Frederick George Woodhouse 1866–
Frank Lepine Woodhouse 1868–1903

They seem like they were a very fertile couple!

Feel free to ask me anything on the above.

Kind regards,
Jon

Offline emmygee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 12 September 16 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon,

Many thanks for the information, greatly appreciated.

Yes, very prolific. I'm amazed that it was possible to raise such a large family on one income, perhaps being a mason had something to do with it.

Cheers
Maurice
Marchant, Grout, Worsfold, Woolgar all from Surrey.
Marchant in New Zealand.

Offline Myjinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 02 April 17 07:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I don't expect you'll remember but I have been in contact with you before but at that time, although you knew of the line of Jules Etienne Lepine who had not yet investigated it.  I was wondering if you have now had a chance as I am currently looking into the line and while I am aware that his father was Ambroise Lepine born around 1790 and I believe in Montmartin, I have several possibles in respect of his mother.  I also managed to find some possible siblings but, as trying to find my way around french records, is a case of the blind leading the blind, I have no idea if I am on the right track.
I am not sure when Jules Etienne arrived in this country but he married Marie Alexanderine Evrevin in 1865 in Islington and his second son Emile married my grandmother's aunt, Lavinia Maynard.  The Lepine's at that time were very much par of my family due to Lavinia dying young and they partially raised her two children before Emile married again.  My aunt who is 95 remembers them well and my dad always talked about Uncle Emile.
Yours
Prue

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 19 June 17 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue,

Sorry I completely missed your reply on here. I haven't done any more digging on Jules I am afraid but have just had a look on ancestry and seen your tree there.

What is interesting is that your Lepine line were from Oise in Picardie and my Huguenot ancestors were from Compiθgne which is about 40 km away.

Do you know if your Lepines were Catholic or Protestant at all? I wonder if they came from the same line? However the name Lepine and its variants is not exactly uncommon.

Sorry I cannot help more.

Jon