Author Topic: McFarlane Family - Parish of Luss  (Read 4515 times)

Offline walker_mckay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McFarlane Family - Parish of Luss
« on: Thursday 04 February 10 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone currently be researching the McFarlane family in the Parish of Luss? I have an OPR baptismal certificate (dated 1753)that makes reference to "tenents of Rue" which I assume to be tenents of Rhu. Would anyone have any ideas about surviving tenancies or estates in the 1750s for Rhu?

Cheers,

Inez

Offline walker_mckay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald and Margaret McFarlane
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 March 10 03:26 GMT (UK) »
Looking for additional information Donald and Margaret (nee McFarlane) McFarlane, parents of Walter McFarlane (b 1753) tenants at Row, Dunbartonshire. He may had an elder brother named Alexander.

Inez

Offline Sharon Floyd Burkhart

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: McFarlane Family - Parish of Luss
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 January 18 19:36 GMT (UK) »
On "Clan McFarlane" information, the Donald McFarlan who married Margaret McFarlan (she was b.  1 April 1827, Luss, Dunbartonshire)  on 6 Jan 1750, was b. Dull Parish, Perthshire.  Is it possible that it might be another Donald McFarlan?  On Ancestry (Allair Family Tree) there is a Donald McFarlane b. Abt 17 Nov 1719, Luss, Dumbartonshire.  The Donald of Luss is just 6 months older than the Donald b. Dull, Perthshire.  The parents of "Luss" Donald were Malcolm McFarlan 1703 - 1761; and Jannet McFarlane 1698 - 1745.  Their Children are Alexander b. 1751, Walter b. 1753, Mary b. 1758, Janet 1763, and Margaret b. 1766.  Going back to the "Perthshire" Donald shown on "Clan McFarlane". there is a note (2010) from Margaret Farrelly, "There's a Donald born in 1734, also in Luss, and another Donald born 1729 in Bonhill, Dunbartonshire.  But Margaret does not mention the Donald born Luss  17 November 1719??   - -  I did not see the "Walter" name among the McFarlane families who were living in Perthshire which made me wonder if  they were another "grouping" of McFarlanes . . .  On the other hand, Alexander, is the name of the oldest son of Donald and Margaret - and the "Perthshire" Donald's father is Alexander . . .  What are your thoughts? 

Sharon