Author Topic: Carrick, San Francisco  (Read 6191 times)

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carrick, San Francisco
« on: Friday 05 February 10 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have a potential I need help with.

His name is William Carrick, b Scotland 1846, and he appears as a shipping clerk in lodgings on Market Street  in the 1901 SF census. 

I know those deatails are sketchy, but how can I find out more about this man, so I can figure out whether or not he's mine?

Thanks,
Ann

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Carrick, San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 February 10 13:30 GMT (UK) »
The William on the 1900 census - says immigration 1879.  What is the last sighting you have of your William ?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 10 13:35 GMT (UK) »
1873 - when he signed his mother's death register in Glasgow. He was a soldier at that point, but all three of his brothers were mariners, the youngest of whom died en route to San Francisco in 1883.

That link to the shipping office is just to tantalising not to check him out.

Ann

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 February 10 13:46 GMT (UK) »
His birth date is listed on the census as June 6, 1846.  Usually, the 1900 Census has just a birth month and year - I've never seen actual dates given before, but everyone on that page seems to have a full birth date.

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 February 10 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes, which is one of the reasons I'm interested in him as that's within the range I'm looking ('43-'46).

Regards,
Ann

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 February 10 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann,

Your William is certainly difficult to try and find.  I have checked passenger lists under different variations but there are very few choices and he does'nt seem to be any of them.   Also tried looking under 1880 and 1910 census but nothing again.
You said 3 mariner brothers - one died on route to San Francisco - do you know if the other 2 went to the USA ?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 February 10 15:14 GMT (UK) »
No, they're lost too. Hugh and Duncan. No sign of Hugh from about 1860; Duncan last seen in Liverpool in about 1894.

I've scoured passenger lists too, but all I can think is one of his brothers (all merchant seamen) may have dropped him off there at some point...

Ann

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 February 10 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Trying to think of a way forward on this. I wonder if there is a register for merchant seamen in the UK. Would they have needed a " seaman's ticket" in that time period ?  Sorry I'm not being more helpful to you.  ???

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 February 10 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes, and I'm sure I'll find the brothers in the registers at some point - another trip to the National Archive or the Guildhall Libary in the summer, no doubt.

But I was hoping to rule out, or confirm this William Carrick as ours in the meantime. Any ideas?

I did find a William Carrick in the list of the dead after the 1906 earthquake, but I couldn't seem to get any further with that either as I didn't know where to look next. That William's job seemed to be the same (shipping clerk), but his address seemed to tie him to another Carrick family not far away, who didn't appear to come from Scotland at all.

Any suggestions  as to what I can do next will be most welcome.

Regards,
Ann