Author Topic: 1816 birth in Ireland -child's father in British Army  (Read 8960 times)

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
1816 birth in Ireland -child's father in British Army
« on: Saturday 06 February 10 02:31 GMT (UK) »
In 1816 in Cork Ireland, Charles Jonas Hargreaves was born.  His father Jonas Hargreaves was RSM of 82nd Regiment of Foot.

Can someone please help me find a birth/baptism record that might give me a more precise date and location?

Any help/guidance much appreciated.

thank you,
charlotte

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: 1816 birth in Ireland -child's father in British Army
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 February 10 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Usually you would need to know the families religion and where the family lived (parish, town or townland) to start a search for a baptism. The army had several bases both in Cork city and around the county - is there any indication as to where Jonas may have been posted at the time ?

Some county Cork church records are available on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at : www.irish-roots.ie  Note that this site focuses on North East County Cork at the moment, and does not include other areas -e.g. Cork City, south and west county ect.

The IrishGenealogy website at http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/ plans to add Cork records soon - but they dont mention a timescale, or details the parishes to be included in the update.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 February 10 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, The regiment was stationed at  Ft Charles in Kinsale at the time of birth I think... hence the name Charles.   His parents were from Ovenden nr Halifax and the baptism was probably Church of England [ Charles older sister was baptised thus in 1810] but could have been nonconformist- Conregational Independent ].

Would the birth be recorded in the 82nd Foot Chaplains returns?

Thanks for your help :)

charlotte

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 February 10 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, The regiment was stationed at  Ft Charles in Kinsale at the time of birth I think... hence the name Charles.   His parents were from Ovenden nr Halifax and the baptism was probably Church of England [ Charles older sister was baptised thus in 1810] but could have been nonconformist- Conregational Independent ].

Would the birth be recorded in the 82nd Foot Chaplains returns?

Thanks for your help :)

charlotte

Kinsale is to the west of Cork City and outside the area covered by the IFHF website. I am not familiar with details on non-conformist baptisms, or army chaplin returns but suspect these would be worth checking out..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 February 10 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you :)

charlotte

Offline Guidingspirit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlotte,
                    I too am beavering away at uncovering my family's Irish roots as my great grandfather was born on Spike Island in 1849 and as GRO records start in January 1837 I have been blessed with the knowledge that I can obtain a birth certificate for him that should tell me his fathers occupation which I believe is a soldier - so I am working backwards.
If the child's father was indeed in the British Army then there will be records at The National Archives at Kew which you can either research yourself or pay a researcher to do the work for you - I intend to do the latter.
They include - Regimental Registers of Soldiers Marriages, Births and Baptisms (1790 - 1924 and indexed for Baptisms)
Chaplain returns from 1796 -1880 and indexed.
Station returns which start in 1759 and list the regiments stationed in a town for a given year.
There are also muster and pay books held at Kew in Series W012 - you will need a readers ticket.
I was laboring under the impression that all Irish BMD's would be held in Ireland but evidently this is not the case (thank goodness, as most were lost in the fire) so I wish you well in you search. Jean

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 19:27 GMT (UK) »
I was laboring under the impression that all Irish BMD's would be held in Ireland but evidently this is not the case (thank goodness, as most were lost in the fire)
All Irish civil registration survive- births, deaths and Catholic marriages from 1864 and other marriages from 1845.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Guidingspirit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 20:10 GMT (UK) »
My apologies - I was led to believe that a lot of the older records were destroyed in a big fire but evidently I have got it wrong.
As for all the Irish Civil BMD's surviving from 1864 and other marriages from 1845 I am quite sure that this is true but although the family that I am researching is Irish I have been unable to trace them through the Irish BMD's and have only recently discovered that I can obtain BMD's through the GRO from January 1937 which seems odd to me as they are, after all, Irish. Maybe something to do with Cork being a treaty port but I'm not even going to go there.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 20:15 GMT (UK) »
I fairly certain the English GRO records you mention include family of just military personal in Ireland, not the general population. Also English civil registration started in July of 1837...

Shane
My Surname Interests