Author Topic: James Daly of the Connaught Rangers 1920  (Read 20904 times)

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
Re: James Daly of the Connaught Rangers 1920
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 May 11 10:23 BST (UK) »
Interesting auction item sold in 2003 - might be worth contacting Adams to see who bought it:

Lot 770: Connaught Rangers Mutiny, Manuscript Draft Letter By James Daly's, Father Of The Executed Mutineer, 3 pages, addressed to the Irish government, in pursuit of pensions for the mutineers and their dependents, written and signed by James Daly of  Auction House: Adam'sAuction Location: Ireland Auction Title: Coins, Bank Notes, MedalsAuction Date: 2003Description:

Another heartbreaking account, with a letter from the Chaplin who witnessed his death, to James Daly's mother:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~oflannery/bio/testimony.pdf

And interesting item:

Connaught Rangers Mutiny, Manuscript Draft Letter By James Daly's, Father Of The Executed Mutineer, 3 pages, addressed to the Irish government, in pursuit of pensions for the mutineers and their dependents, written and signed by James Daly of Drumleish, County Longford, father of James Joseph Daly, the only man to be executed for taking part in the Connaught Rangers mutiny, and containing a brief account of the causes of the mutiny "Ireland was in the throes of a life and death struggle against English aggression. Atrocities by the English were the order of the day. Strict though the English censorship then was, the news reached these gallant men in far away Solon. Their Irish blood was stirred, and they decided to strike a blow for the freedom of their native land.", and quoting extensively from an account of the mutiny by Major W.N.S. Alexander, DSO, 1st Battalion Connaught Rangers, naming Private James Daly as the ringleader of the mutiny. Central creases and minor marginal nicks ( not affecting text), otherwise generally good.

This means the Dept. of Defence Pensions archive probably have a file on James Daly with family letters.

see also:

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/1930/12/10/00061.asp

Think that is about all that can be found quickly, but some documents to trace, should you want to. Very interesting subject!

My best find, i think:

A photo of James in India in 1920 which shows him far left seated on the ground.

In another account of the mutiny by the descendant of one of the other mutineers.
http://www.irishregimentsandhistory.com/

Offline pepperoni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 September 11 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, I can confirm that the remains of James Joseph Daly (Jim) were brought back to his native Tyrrellspass in Co. Westmeath, where he is now buried.  As a child, I was present at the burial with my grandfather who was a Great, grand nephew of James Daly.  I particulary remember the burial because of the volley of shots that was fired over his grave, & never forgot how emotional his family were that he had finally been brought back home from India.   Members of the Daly family are still residing in Tyrrellspass today.

Offline pepperoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 September 11 12:17 BST (UK) »
just to confirm... James Daly's name is immortalised on the memorial  stone in Glasnevin Cemetary, along with the other Irish soldiers who died because of the mutiny in 1920, but his remains are not in glasnevin.

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 08:25 GMT (UK) »
DALY, JAMES JOSEPH.  Rank: Private.  Regiment or Service: Connaught Rangers.
Unit; 1st Battalion. Date of Death:02-November-1921. Age at Death,20(CWGC). Service No: 7144396.  Born in Ballymote, County Galway. Executed at Wellington Barracks, Jullundur, India for Mutiny. Grave or Memorial Reference:Listed on Face 10 of the Kirkee Memorial in India. Also listed on the Connaught Rangers Memorial in Glasnevin Cemetery. Dublin. Now buried in the family plot in Saint Sinian's Church of Ireland Church, Tyrrellspass, County Westmeath

Offline Pauline Lambe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi my name is Pauline my mother Veronica is James Daly's niece.Her mother was Theressa daly James's sister.There is no relatives left in tyrrellpass anymore.The closest being my mother in Tullamore myself and my sister's ,and we have a cousin in Killbegan.All other relations reside in England.

Offline Sandra12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi i am sandra (lally) james daly was my nanas brother we live in eccles i dont know loads about james but i know some feel free to contact me via facebook or here

Offline Sandra12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Teresa daly was known to us as ant tess my nan was margeret daly who married stephen lally my nan was tess.s sister and james there brother

Offline Pauline Lambe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra I can't seem to find u add Me on Facebook  Pauline Lambe is my name.

Offline Shivvy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pauline I am sandras sister siobhan also related