Author Topic: Adam Porter, Elizabeth, Union NJ, any help appreciated  (Read 5249 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Porter, Elizabeth, Union NJ, any help appreciated
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 06 February 10 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie 1895,

www.castlegarden.org

Another for you to keep in the filing cabinet. Will point this one out to you because the date is only a few months earlier than when the rest of the family went out. The website above have a listing for an Adam Porter on the SS Iowa -  1 July 1867 but the age of 40 would be incorrect. From Glasgow.
I have looked through the other passenger records agin for A. Porter but nothing in your time frame.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 February 10 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, both, for the further information.

Shellyesqu, I had a quick search and as you say, nothing coming up, but I'll try searching in more detail for all of the family at a later date and see what happens - thanks

dettori - what can I say?   Yet again an absolute gem, and it would explain why Adam wasn't listed on the Caledonia with the rest of his family.

Perhaps I'm not academic enough in this research lark, but everything you have told me has just brought the family more to life than producing lists of dates.   

A little boy born, died and buried in April, joining one of his elder brothers in the local graveyard, in an unmarked pauper's grave.   Within a couple of months the father says goodbye to them all and heads off across the Atlantic.   Two months after that the mother and surviving children follow, all steerage, nothing romantic about a voyage like that.     What must that year have been like for them?

Those who say genealogy is just a list of dates and names don't know the half of it.   
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 February 10 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie1895.

I put the last record on for you because it was the only one of that time frame and for that name.
It is up to you to evaluate what information you are given and make a judgement. In some other instances I have worked on around that time, it was not uncommon to knock 10 years off an age - I wonder whether records are that accurate in some cases. Did Adam feel he would'nt get in if he was older ? So I have to say that I thought that was your Adam despite the age - but we will never know unless something else comes to light (then I would eat humble pie !!)
I am rather sentimental and it is sad to think of the little boy in the paupers grave, I have a similar one in one of my lines where the parents went off to the US (albeit another 40 years after the date of yours)  The thought of the journey across the sea which would take far longer than we could contemplate nowadays. We are hobbyist genealogists trying to understand not just where and when people lived but also their lifestyles and motivations and it is a fascinating learning curve.
I wish you continued success with your search and if we can help on Rootschat - somebody is always willing to go that extra mile for you.  ;D 
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 February 10 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie.

Your Thomas was still in Elizabeth, Union, New Jersey in 1930 - just Thomas Porter 68 and Mary A Porter 56 and a couple of roomers.  ;D