Author Topic: thomas kilgour martha whillis  (Read 2554 times)

Offline big nanook

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
thomas kilgour martha whillis
« on: Saturday 06 February 10 23:05 GMT (UK) »

Looking for any information on a Thomas Kilgour and Martha Whillis, Thomas was born in Edinburgh or Aberdeen around 1800  Martha Whillis was born round about the same time  in either Edinburgh or Aberdeen , they had at least one son called Robert  Kilgour  born 1832 and died in Edinburgh 1876 at the age of 44 years,
Robert left a widow called Isabella Cardno Kilgour who was his second wifeand my wife's gr gr gr grandmother , and his several children a legacy of two marriages one child being a Thomas Kilgour born 1867 in Edinburgh, he was the great grandfather of my wife. I have tried every source on Scotland’s People for Thomas Kilgour and Martha Whillis I believe he was a soldier according to his son  Robert Kilgour’s birth certificate as I had a Lot more success with him and that is where the trail went cold.
So can anyone help me with any information on either Thomas Kilgour or his Wife Martha Whillis Kilgour?
Big Nannook who is pulling his hair out over this.

Offline orkneyinga1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: thomas kilgour martha whillis
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 December 12 19:41 GMT (UK) »
From my records you seen to be mixed up. Martha's surname was Ryrie or Ryri, along those lines.  The other wife/mother was called Jane Binnie Whillis.  I think she was the mother of Robert Kilgour born in Berwick on Tweed in 1832.  I can't find a marriage for Thomas and Jane.  Robert was in the 1841 census as living with his mother Jane Whillis.

Neither can I find a birth recorded so where did you get your information?  The father Thomas was in the Army but I can't remember which regiment.  Robert is my Gt Gt Grandfather.

If you get back to me perhaps we can sort it out.

Offline orkneyinga1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 December 12 20:22 GMT (UK) »
My last email was a load of waffle!  Robert Kilgour was born in Berwickshire around 1832/33.  I don't know if his parents Thomas Kilgour and Jane Binnie were married. However, on the second marriage certificate the details were given as Thomas Kilgour, Cotton Weaver, deceased and Jane Kilgour ms Binnie, which would suggest she was still alive and that they married!  The name Whillis came down in the family to Robert's grand-daughter Mary born 4.4.1912 died 1991.

On Robert's marriage certificate in 1865 it states he is a widower age 32, at this point he is marrying Isabella Cardno, age 29, in Edinburgh.    Robert also married Martha Ririe (Ryrie) in Aberdeen on 17th October 1856.  On that certificate is says his father was a soldier in the 71st regiment (deceased) and his mother's name is Jane Whillis.  So I assume they were married after all. I've tried looking for her death just now but there are two pages of them in Scotlands People.  will need tolook when I next go to Register House.

Offline Jamie J Lammie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 September 17 04:32 BST (UK) »
My Family 😀 I was born n bred at 2 park view cottages, Camilty.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 September 17 07:15 BST (UK) »
My Family 😀 I was born n bred at 2 park view cottages, Camilty.
I am sure that the original poster would be interested to know how you are connected to the Kilgour family, and how they got from Edinburgh/Aberdeen/Berwickshire to Camilty?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.