Author Topic: Langwill/McRury/Mclennan of Benbecula  (Read 11446 times)

Offline angusm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Langwill/McRury/Mclennan of Benbecula
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 February 10 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Related though not closely but my family roots are in Griminish and the collective memory about former residents persists for a long time. There are still descendants both of the MacRurys and MacLennans in the island.
Email address is not working

Offline angusm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 February 10 09:41 GMT (UK) »
There is incidentally a puzzle about the Langwill daughters. i think there were only three; that is certainly all that figure in the Censuses. The birth 23.7.1872 indexed by scotlandspeople as for Annabella very unclearly shows what might just be read a Bella [it looks something like Gella but certainly not Annabella] Penelope so I suspect this represents two of the daughters you named. The entries are cursed as Jessie is indexed for 1869 but if you bring up the record, it is only a month after the marriage and for a Jessie Boyd from the same address in Ayr from which William and Penelope were married. A Boarding House confusion I would guess. The third daughter was born in Ireland, of course.
Email address is not working

Offline Nanis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 April 11 18:12 BST (UK) »
I have only just come across this web site  -  my mother Penelope Buchanan was brought up at Dunruadh from the age of 10.  I tried to attach a photograph of Dunruadh to this  but apparently the same file has already been used (as this is the first time I have used this site I am mystified!).  My mother's parents were Margaret (Peggy) MacRury and John Buchanan of Craigwell Torlum.   My mother was named after Penelope Langwill  -  I would be interested to know when Penelope Langwill died.

Nanis

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 April 11 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Nanis

The message you got may have said that the same file name had already been used. That could occur if you try to upload a photo that has a numerical name issued by a scanner or camera, or the like. Simply add a few characters to the name and then try to post again. Good luck.

I'll follow this thread as I too have McRury's in my tree. (My McRury's came to Canada.) A distant cousin has a fair bit of the MacRury tree under construction, but no one knows as many of the stories as angus.
MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline Nanis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hello RedMystic   Thanks for the tip  -  I will try again to attach it.  My mother kept in contact with her aunts and cousins who mostly went to Saskatchewan.   I remember Wapella and Moosomin being mentioned.  I have a picture of my mother's Aunt Flora (MacKenzie ) with three sons  - John and twins Dougal and Angus who ran an agricultural business and I also have a picture of her daughter Mary MacKenzie also one of an Aunt Kate and Uncle Hugh Johnson.   I have been in touch with my cousin originally of Moosomin for over 60 years - her grandmother was Marion MacRury of Dunruadh.

Nanis

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 13:43 BST (UK) »
Lovely pic.

You should see what the restorers can do with it on the Photo Restoration board. They're amazing and there is no charge!!!!

My family also went to Wapella / Moosomin as part of the Lady Cathcart Settlers in 1883. I have, in my tree, 3 Marion MacRurys (b. 1901, b.1851, b. 1868) and one Marion McRury (b.1857).

It will be interesting to look your relatives up in my Wapella & Moosomin history books, though that will have to wait until tomorrow. I'll let my mum & her sister know of your Johnson connection as they both grew up in that area.

If you don't mind me asking, who is your cousin so I can pass that along to my mum & her sister as well?

Offline Nanis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
The cousin (2nd/3rd?)  I correspond with is Joanne MacPherson who now lives in Regina  - she also has a family tree which I saw when she came over for a visit way back in the 1950's.   Apparently she is related to me through her mother and father - not surprising in a small community like Benbecula.    My cousin Iain (John) is still on the croft at  Torlum which we call Craigwell but I think it is No.17;  he is my mother's brother Donald Buchanan's only child.   My cousin Margaret Buchanan is in contact with a lady in Vancouver who is researching the Buchanan line  -  apparently one family went to Canada and then to South Africa.  It's now we wish we had paid more attention when we were young!
The Clan Donald Centre at Armadale in Skye is a good source for family trees.

Nanis

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 04:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry Josie46. I didn't mean to hijack you thread. I'll take this off-line in a persona message with nanis, though it sounds like she's still interested in the Penelope link. Cheers

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 22 April 11 12:19 BST (UK) »
Nanis; had a good ceilidh with Iain Dhoti last Saturday but you can forgive yourself for not listening when young. Beyond the probability that the family removed to Glasgow rather than Canada, I have quizzed Iain over the years about the Angus Buchanan family that is the main subject of the recent researches but, good as he is on family history, what happened to Angus and family had remained a mystery. Well done BCMom and Margaret for now answering pretty well all the questions.

On the slightly earlier discussion, it was a lovely old photo but the Dunruadh MacRury family was, of course from the blacksmith MacRurys descended from Archibald MacRury and Margaret MacVicar in Aird and Balivanich, only distantly related to the descendants of Iain or John, who arrived on Sliabh Griminis just after 1800 and his two MacMillan wives. It is a shame that Dunruadh is now disfigured by the presence of an horrendously bright red garage roof.