Author Topic: Green Meadow Farm, Haydon Wick, Swindon  (Read 13227 times)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Green Meadow Farm, Haydon Wick, Swindon
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the details Cheryle. It actually leaves me wondering for I had always assumed that the photo had come from my mother's family but when I saw Sims, I started to think again for my father's mother was born Sims.
The born in Seend however makes me think this is nothing more than coincidence for his family came from Hannington. More thinking required.
Toby.

Offline Local Studies, Swindon Libraries

• RootsChat Extra
  • Local Studies at Swindon Central Library
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 April 10 14:11 BST (UK) »
Dear Toby,
I am writing from the local studies collection at Swindon Central Library.

The photo of Green Meadow farm is fantastic. We have never seen it and I do not believe it has ever been published. We certainly do not have anything like it in our collection.
Is there any chance we can tempt you to allow us to host a copy of your scan on our local history gallery?

Link: www.flickr.com/swindonlocal

We would credit the picture as requested and you would be free to add any genealogical info below.
Please let us know if you are interested.

Very best wishes,

Swindon Collection
Central Library
central.library[at]swindon.gov.uk
(01793) 463238

Bishopstone, Blunsdon St. Andrew, Broad Blunsdon, Chiseldon, Cricklade, Hannington, Highworth, Inglesham, Kingsdown, Liddington, Lydiard Tregoze and Lydiard Millicent, Purton, Rodbourne Cheney, South Marston, Stanton Fitzwarren, Stratton St. Margaret, Swindon (Old & New), Wanborough, Wootton Bassett, Wroughton,

Offline edmonds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 February 11 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Toby

Re your post last year about the farm and the old photo.  This farm is no longer standing at Haydon Wick.  I do know the exact location where it used to be and I also have an old map with it on.  It belonged to a man named Alan Trotman's mother - her name was Sims - is this a name that is in your own family?  I think her first name could have been Cecilia?

I am writing a book about this area and I will be talking about all the old farms - would you please allow me permission to use this photo in my book?  If you do know anything about the Sims family I would be very interested to hear about it.

Let me know if you would like to see the old map with this farm on and also where it would be in today's landscape.

Best wishes

Debra
(Swindon)

Offline morgant

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 May 11 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra,

I am the great grandson of Edward Harold Sims of Green Meadow Farm. William and Lydia's children all went into agriculture themselves, and there are (i think) 3 wiltshire farms still owned by various descendants of William and Lydia Sims. I know Wiltshire Record Office holds an Auctioneers Property Details for Green Meadow Farm from the time of it's sale (I think 1950s if my memory is correct).

Tom

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 May 11 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra & Tom ,
               Sorry I have not replied sooner but I have been unwell.You are welcome to use the photo. My Sims were in Hannington, Highworth & Cricklade but I do not know where they came from.John Sims was the potman & parish clerk in Hannington in 1961,whilst his wife Eliza had a sweetshop.
Toby.

Offline capricorniangirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 22:20 BST (UK) »
Greenmeadow farm is shown on the 1901 os map.  See flickr for more info from swindon library.

Offline Historyman04

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 September 15 09:49 BST (UK) »
I am the eldest of 4 grandson's of Cecilia Trotman (nee Sims).

I have photos of Green Meadow farmhouse at the time of Cecilia's wedding in the early 1920's and a copy of the sale brochure of the farm in the 1950's.

William George Sims was originally a tenant farmer who purchased the farm from the Arkells (brewery) family in early 1900's. The Arkell's owned Penhill farm and much land in north Swindon/Stratton.

Happy to provide more detail.

Howard

Offline Steam Queen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
RE: Edmonds clan.
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 January 24 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Debra,

It's me your cousin from across the pond. I want to give you some information. My dad Albert Hugh Edmonds Lloyd was born, December 2, 1917 and passed on September 27, 1985 in Jersey City, New Jersey USA. My mother his wife was Gloria Esther Rosario Lugaro,  1924 - 2016. Children are me, Gloria Esther Lloyd,  Winifred Theresa, Myrna Edmee, Albert Jr. I met your brother Kevin and Sue in Boston,  I'm sure that he told you. I definitely want to visit you and the other family members.