Author Topic: Kilmory Castle Burial Ground and Killevin Cemetery  (Read 4566 times)

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
Kilmory Castle Burial Ground and Killevin Cemetery
« on: Monday 08 February 10 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if there are plans of Kilmory Castle Burial Ground available anywhere?

I have been photographing war graves for the War Grave Photographic Project and been unable to find two graves.

Lt John Vernon Campbell-Orde is buried at Kilmory Castle Burial Ground, I have the CWGC report but can't find the grave - everything is covered in moss.

Pte Hugh McArthur Munro is buried at Killevin, again I have the CWGC report but can't find the grave despite depending ages looking for it and even getting my tape measure out to try and follow the instructions exactly.

Martin Briscoe

BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline marart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kilmory Castle Burial Ground and Killevin Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 April 10 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

I can show you where John Orde is buried in Kilmory, couldn't describe it to you but could take you there.  Let me know when you will next be in the area and we can meet up.  Not sure about the other one but will see if I can find out more.

Marina

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 April 10 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

I can show you where John Orde is buried in Kilmory, couldn't describe it to you but could take you there.  Let me know when you will next be in the area and we can meet up.  Not sure about the other one but will see if I can find out more.

Marina

Thanks, I will send you my EMail address and perhaps you can send me an EMail so I can contact direct when I can get down there again.

We have all the other mainland Argyll ones done now.  I not found confirmation of the one in Killevin but the grave that fits with the CWGC description has mother's name that matches the second name of the person I was looking for so must be him.

Be nice to be able to complete the county or at least the mainland part.

MB

POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw

Offline marart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

Finally got to Kilmory Castle Burial ground last week and took some pictures.  I am not able to attach them here because of the file size and have unfortunately have mis placed your email address.  Could you send me it again and I can forward you on the pictures and the inscription.

Kind Regards

Marina

Offline Grey Seagull

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 December 10 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin,

You obviously got there before I did.  But to answer your question, yes there is a plan.  When I was at the archives in Lochgilphead late summer, the archivist was indexing the burials there.  I only know this because she found a hitherto unknown relative for me - has a bit of an unusual name - buried there.  She gave me location and a map.

However, as I am sure you will agree, the site is rather overgrown and anyone going there needs to know the details of other readable stones in order to locate the plot of interest.  Unfortunately I didn't get that so couldn't be sure exactly where the ancestor is - and still not sure how he is related.  But that's another mystery!
Fleming: Campsie, Glasgow, E Kilbride, Cumbria, Canada/USA, Oz (NSW)
Cant: Kilmichael, Inverness, Resoles, Moray
Stewart: Dingwall, Strathpeffer
Rankin(e): Argyll, Glasgow
Ferrier: Kinnell, Red Castle, Inverkeillor, Glasgow, Greenock
Morrell: Dundee, Oban, Perth, Rothesay
Harris: Glasgow, Dunoon
Hart: Govan
McDonell/McDonald: Knoydart, Kilmonivaig, Inverness, Paisley
(Mc)Niven: Islay, Glasgow
MacDonald: N Uist, Glasgow
MacCorquodale: N Uist
Dear: St Cyrus
Gibb: St Vigeans
Bell: Forfarshire

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 December 10 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin,

You obviously got there before I did.  But to answer your question, yes there is a plan.  When I was at the archives in Lochgilphead late summer, the archivist was indexing the burials there.  I only know this because she found a hitherto unknown relative for me - has a bit of an unusual name - buried there.  She gave me location and a map.

However, as I am sure you will agree, the site is rather overgrown and anyone going there needs to know the details of other readable stones in order to locate the plot of interest.  Unfortunately I didn't get that so couldn't be sure exactly where the ancestor is - and still not sure how he is related.  But that's another mystery!

Marina sent me a picture of the one that I was after which I have forwarded to the project.

MB
O'Shea - Quebec